Beauty training, advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxsarahj25xx

Reaction score
Hi ive recently completed my vrq lvl 2 nail technology and would now like to learn beauty therapy. As it stands its unlikely i can get funding to do this in college as i have already covered all but 3 of the units.

A private beauty academy has offered me a placement, where i attend their half day courses in the units i require (facial skincare, eye treatments etc) and instead of paying for them i work one day a week in their salon. I understand you cant perfect your technique for any treatment in 3 hours, but as id be there for at least 6 months i would be getting plenty of practice!

My only concern is that the courses only provide in house certificates. I understand these arent nationally recognised like an nvq is and id struggle to find work in a salon, but that doesnt bother me too much as i want to be self employed. What i was wondering is if it is possible to get insured with a qualification that has not been accreditted? And if i will struggle to get trade accounts from suppliers with them? For example would the likes of dermalogica refuse to sell me their proffesional only products if my course wasnt accredited?

Sorry if this has been posted before, didnt find anything relevant when i searched xx

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

Hi ive recently completed my vrq lvl 2 nail technology and would now like to learn beauty therapy. As it stands its unlikely i can get funding to do this in college as i have already covered all but 3 of the units.

A private beauty academy has offered me a placement, where i attend their half day courses in the units i require (facial skincare, eye treatments etc) and instead of paying for them i work one day a week in their salon. I understand you cant perfect your technique for any treatment in 3 hours, but as id be there for at least 6 months i would be getting plenty of practice!

My only concern is that the courses only provide in house certificates. I understand these arent nationally recognised like an nvq is and id struggle to find work in a salon, but that doesnt bother me too much as i want to be self employed. What i was wondering is if it is possible to get insured with a qualification that has not been accreditted? And if i will struggle to get trade accounts from suppliers with them? For example would the likes of dermalogica refuse to sell me their proffesional only products if my course wasnt accredited?

Sorry if this has been posted before, didnt find anything relevant when i searched xx

Hello

Courses need to be accredited with an insurer to be insurable.

They would also be getting over £1,200.00 out of you by not having to pay you for the 6 months, you are probably better off getting yourself a part time job to pay for some training that is insurable.

Michelle

Thanks for replying, i suppose if it sounds too good to be true it probably is! Free training and a queue of willing models to practice on dont be silly!

Looks like my best bet would be to set up as nails only for now and start saving to do the rest in stages!

Hi,
How long ago did you cover beauty therapy course? Just when i was at college i left early on another course ( not beauty) but was allowed back in to complete the few modules i hadn't completed only, and then gained my qualification that way. if only a few years you should speak to the college and see if this is possible, if they say no at least you tried and know that you will need to save up or the college may offer course at a cheaper price to complete. Everything worth a try first before paying out loads of money.
Also i would say No to the other beauty course as not worth the hassel.

Literally finished 2 weeks ago, it was nail technology which also covered make up. Although it was the same city and guilds log book as beauty therapy, we didnt cover eye treatments, waxing or facial skincare. All the other units were the same, if i were to go back and do beauty id be repeating 12 units for the sake of 3 new ones which is why its unlikely id be accepted or funded for it xx

Latest posts

Back