Removing spray tan, ASAP?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tezzajezza

Reaction score
Hey,
I did a lady on Friday who has had reactions from fake tan before, she said usually she come out in an it by rash. So to be on the safe side I did a patch test which seemed fine, I've now had a text from her saying her whole body is itchy!! She has asked what's the quickest way to remove her tan, I've told her a warm bath with baby oil in but wondered if you wonderful geeks had any other tips?!
Thanks for help!!

she could try going swimming as the chlorine usually strips the tan faster. but im not sure if it actually strips it or if it bleaches it. plus if she is itchy she may be more sensitive to the chlorine. not sure

I find that soap and glory 'flake away' if the best to get tan off, it works a treat! if she can not get hold of any then any thing oily along with an exfoliator should bring it all off x

Hi i.might be wrong but I think it would not make any difference if she gets the colour off her skin because the reaction is something that is in the tanning solution which she has already washed off ,her skin is a different colour because of the DHA has reacted with her skin ,she has no product left on her skin now. I would be more concerned she make the reaction worse by scrubing etc,she could take an antihistamine and put on a hydrocortisone cream to calm the skin hope this helps :-D

Hi i.might be wrong but I think it would not make any difference if she gets the colour off her skin because the reaction is something that is in the tanning solution which she has already washed off ,her skin is a different colour because of the DHA has reacted with her skin ,she has no product left on her skin now. I would be more concerned she make the reaction worse by scrubing etc,she could take an antihistamine and put on a hydrocortisone cream to calm the skin hope this helps :-D

Well said, all she can really do now is treat the reaction. The DHA has already reacted with the skin. Anti-Histamines and Aloe Vera. How come she has only let you know about it now if she was tanned on Friday the reaction should have taken place much earlier. Is she sure that it is the tan? It could be something she used over the weekend. Some of my clients dont regulary moisturise unless they have a spray tan to maintain, as she maybe started using a different moisturiser or product since her tan?

Allergic reaction? DOCTORS!!!

Allergic reactions frequently get worse each time and you are not a GP - if you only did a small test and she is claiming her whole body is itching/showing signs of reaction then she needs to see her GP... neither she nor you can know if this will escalate.

Thank you all for your advice, sorry the reply has taken a while. All ok, after a day of piriton all had cleared up, think its safe to say I won't be spraying her again though! Xx

Hi glad your clients is OK.

Just for anyone else reading this I would make the following comments:-

If someone has a reaction I would be very careful about suggesting using other products to sort it out. As other contributors have stated once you have showered the remaining colour is in actual fact a pigment called Melonoidin that is effectively bound to the Keratin in the dead skin cells of the skin. The only way to remove the pigment is to remove the dead skin cells full stop. Clearly you could bleach the skin but this is the last thing you would want to do in the event of a reaction.

Very few people are allergic to DHA, some are though. There are many other ingredients in tanning solutions that are more likely to cause issues, alcohol and fragrance for example. Also some ingredients used in guide colours are histamine liberators and can induce hypersensitivity, and skin ailments including eczema, dermatitis, itching, rashes, and hives.

If you're putting product on your client it's always a good idea to know what's in it. Good practice would be to obtain the full ingredient list from your supplier and then when you do your consultation you can actually ask your client if they are allergic to any of them. It will only take a couple of minutes on their first treatment.

Arrghhhh I had 2 girls( twin sisters) last night for fake bake tan( manual application) and one has text me this morning saying she is still white and has had a slight reaction to it. I have asked how her sisters tan has turned out but no text back yet. I know I did everything correctly,and I'm so careful when doing manual tans as I don't want to miss any bits or mess up etc. so u can imagine how horrible I'm feeling now as I was so pleased last night when they left. Such a shame! So do I refund? Or refund a portion of the cost and keep a bit to cover my products? I'm waiting to see how her sisters tan turned out ( she hasn't showered yet)

Arrghhhh I had 2 girls( twin sisters) last night for fake bake tan( manual application) and one has text me this morning saying she is still white and has had a slight reaction to it. I have asked how her sisters tan has turned out but no text back yet. I know I did everything correctly,and I'm so careful when doing manual tans as I don't want to miss any bits or mess up etc. so u can imagine how horrible I'm feeling now as I was so pleased last night when they left. Such a shame! So do I refund? Or refund a portion of the cost and keep a bit to cover my products? I'm waiting to see how her sisters tan turned out ( she hasn't showered yet)

Before you refund anything you need to see the tan first. You need to see whether it has developed and if she has had a reaction to it. Don't just give a refund. Did you do a consultation, made sure she exfoliated/prepped properly. Used the correct products to wash off the tan etc, x x

Hello thankyou for your reply! She isn't bothered about coming in and says she will just take anti histamines and the reaction isn't on her face, which is strange. I did consultation, no allergies and has had fake bake before. She had a dos and donts list for before tan and after. And I'm very strict and make sure they understand what they can and can't do. She was really nice about it and said thankyou for doing the tan anyway. Her sisters is fine though. I don't think there was anything I could've done better, just makes me panic and I feel awful! X

I have had a lot of clients that have had reactions in the past at other salons to la tan, xen tan, st tropez and fake bake but have all been perfect with my Sienna x solution.
Worth a try for anyone with sensitive skin clients xxx

Hello thankyou for your reply! She isn't bothered about coming in and says she will just take anti histamines and the reaction isn't on her face, which is strange. I did consultation, no allergies and has had fake bake before. She had a dos and donts list for before tan and after. And I'm very strict and make sure they understand what they can and can't do. She was really nice about it and said thankyou for doing the tan anyway. Her sisters is fine though. I don't think there was anything I could've done better, just makes me panic and I feel awful! X

I'd be exactly the same with feeling awful and I should probably listen to my own advice but don't let it knock you down. It's one of those things that happen and even though you probably feel a bit crappy about it all, you'll soon realise that you've probably improved on your skills for coping with this type situation. We can all do the best we can at the treatments we're doing but we also will always be learning new ways to deal with difficult situations as well. x

Latest posts

Back