Difference between HVLP and airbrush guns

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaLaLayla

Reaction score
Hi, I'm really confused. I spoke to a company about their solutions, and they told me that they only really work with an airbrush gun. I would have to get special HVLP solution as I currently have an HVLP gun. I hadn't realised that there was a difference. Would anybody care to explain it to me, please? My brain hurts from too much Google searching!

Hi, I'm really confused. I spoke to a company about their solutions, and they told me that they only really work with an airbrush gun. I would have to get special HVLP solution as I currently have an HVLP gun. I hadn't realized that there was a difference. Would anybody care to explain it to me, please? My brain hurts from too much Google searching!

an airbrush gun is generally nowadays used for more intricate work like nails or body art and use as a means to apply a spray tan has all but been eliminated through the development of HVLP (high velocity low pressure)systems which are far cheaper,quicker and due to the fact they dont atomize the solution in air born particles as much as an airbrush the over spray is far less

I would guess that around 90% of therapists today use HVLP systems to apply a tan

HTH

oh and further ...most spray tan solutions will work fine through either system however air brush systems dont particularly like to thick a solution going through them

Thanks collin, that's really helpful :)

The reason you need to use a special solution for an airbrush is that the viscosity is different on the HVLP solutions, they are thicker and "stickier" so the airbrush clogs up and spits a lot whilst tanning.I love my airbrush but as Collin says there is a lot of overspray and the tan takes longer to apply as well as being governed by the type of solution you need to stock it makes it less than ideal if you need to do quick tans. I started out with an airbrush and only changed to HVLP a few years ago. it was the best thing I could have done as a mobile technician. My treatment times reduced drastically meaning more time to do more treatments. You can use airbrush solutions in an HVLP gun ( you just have to twaek the settings) but not the other way around. I have kept my airbrush kit though as it is ideal for spray on Tattos, body art , nails and airbrush make up. All treatments that I can now offer as well as HVLP spray tans and nails. It all slots together nicely so that is something to keep in mind, if you have the funds to get an HVLP later then you can offer all those treatments and still do spray tans in the meantime while saving up for the next machine. Hope this makes sense.

Sorry just read your post again and see you already have an HVLP, so you could order a sample and try it in your gun after changing the settings, you need to reduce the volume as the solution is "more diluted" so more will spray out iykwim, but unless you will be saving a lot of money I don't see the point in using their solution, there will be too much messing about

Last edited:
Hi,

Agree with most of everything said so far. HVLP is the way to go. Our solutions are able to be used in both Airbrush and HVLP systems as they are water based and do not contain any oils or the dreaded Aloe Vera.

An airbrush system will be around £600 to £800. If you spend around £200 to £300 on an HVLP system you should get a reliable machine which is capable of doing around 20 tans a day with a decent gun.

Latest posts

Back