Newbie to waxing - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aiva

Reaction score
So Im interested in adding waxing to my treatment list, they covered waxing when I was in college years ago during my course, but I never felt confident enough doing it to offer it as a treatment. I recently purchased a couple of products just to use on myself to see how they work, 'Gigi Bikini Hard Wax' and the 'Just Wax Microwaveable wax' Which also came with the fabric strips.

So i tried these products on myself and well... I was very dissapointed, The gigi hard wax came in a set and i followed ALL the instructions, but found when i pulled the wax off, the hair hadnt even been fully removed, it was left spikey as if i had shaved a few days ago and it had just started to grow back. I used the Just Wax wax on my legs, and first applied talc.. I still had the same problem and the hair wasnt fully being removed. I honestly followed ALL the instructions and could just not understand what I was doing wrong?! Its really disheartened me so I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips? Or maybe share what wax you use that you find works well for you? Maybe im not using a very good wax?

Id love to hear any tips and would appreciate any advice you could give me!! Thankyou :)

First advice - don't try to wax yourself until you have more practise... honestly it's harder to get the right angle when you are doing your own legs/pits/etc than it is on a client...
Secondly - buy good quality products - not microwave products! If you want to think about offering it as a treatment you might want to do a refresher course to get your confidence up? :)
Quite a few of my clients have "fessed" up to using home kits for a while to try and save money before coming to me :) I very much doubt any of them will be doing it again - good waxing looks easy and everyone thinks they can do it (just like I did when I started! LOL) but it took a LOT of practise on willing friends after my course to get it right :) And some serious hand holding and confidence boosting from Andy at Axiom after my male intimate course before I felt I could go "live" on a client with hot wax on their bits! :)

First advice - don't try to wax yourself until you have more practise... honestly it's harder to get the right angle when you are doing your own legs/pits/etc than it is on a client...
Secondly - buy good quality products - not microwave products! If you want to think about offering it as a treatment you might want to do a refresher course to get your confidence up? :)
Quite a few of my clients have "fessed" up to using home kits for a while to try and save money before coming to me :) I very much doubt any of them will be doing it again - good waxing looks easy and everyone thinks they can do it (just like I did when I started! LOL) but it took a LOT of practise on willing friends after my course to get it right :) And some serious hand holding and confidence boosting from Andy at Axiom after my male intimate course before I felt I could go "live" on a client with hot wax on their bits! :)

Thank you for your reply!! I am definately going to be doing a course, I just wanted to try it out on myself for a while to see how i found the treatment. I didnt realise microwavable waxes wouldnt be as good as ones you put in a wax heater!? I'll purchase one and try it out! And yes your totally right, I thought when i was about to do it that the hair would come straight off and id be left with silky smooth legs, Boy was i wrong haha!!

Waxing is all about confidence! I despised waxing when I first started but I now feel its my best treatment as I practiced loads and loads to get it right. First of take a refresher course, get the right products and then practice loads on friends and family. I would imagine the refresher course will really boost your confidence and practicing on friends and family should hopefully relax you.

I am newly qualified and I know how you feel with the confidence though, I am this way with nails, I think everyones just got different strengths and weaknesses nothing to worry about though hun you will get there in the end and you will be better for it :D good luck!!

It sounds like your not waxing it properly on the bikini area your just snapping the hair (maby because of your technique?)

I find hot wax works best on the bikini area
and i use just wax cherry gel wax for a warm wax and paper strips these work best for me.

You could go on a refresher course or you could go over your old college notes on what you did on waxing, find a friend who is willing to let you practice on them, to get your technique right, then you need to get your speed right.

Latest posts

Back