Losing spray tan clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julie.brown63

Reaction score
This is just a general comment really and any feedback great!

I'm a fully qualified and very competent spray tanner, I've been doing beauty for a number of years now and to be honest, I'm good at it.

I have lots of clients and my base is seeing huge growth at the moment of new clients.

Generally al l my clients rebook, the only time someone wouldn't is if they don't usually have tabs and it's for an occasion only.

Recently though I'd tanned someone and it was when we had the hit weather, shed had a tab previously from me and was happy. She had the tan when we had all that hit weather, I told here to sleep on trousers as she could sweat in the night and could make the tan go patchy.

We anyway I asked her how she got on the next day and she said she had white run marks down her legs! I know for 100% that this wasn't anything I had done. I thoroughly check each and every client, everyone always comments how through I am.

I know she had another tan this week elsewhere so I'm guessing she now things it was me.

Just find it annoying sometimes when clients blame us for this we haven't actually done.

Xx

night etc

You are right, its annoying as it doesnt matter how often you tell clients what to do and what not to do they still go ahead and then blame it on the therapist rather than their own actions.

White runs cannot be something you have done, it sounds like water or sweat running or clothes rubbing so its not you. Unfortunately as a therapist you are always going to have the "win some lose some" as they think they can get it better or cheaper elsewhere and a lot of times you will find your clients come back to you as they will find out your service was better so dont take it personal!

Agree with wow the streaky problem is almost certainly perspiration at an early stage in the tan development.

I think your reaction is smart and you should always try to establish what the client's thinking. However, the don't take it personally advice is good and sometimes you just have to accept that for whatever reason you have lost the client for now.

Depending on where on her legs they are it could be from urinating in the shower... apparently that can affect the tans ability to react properly if someone does that regularly... whether it be intentional or lack of bladder control is obviously irrelevant...

I'm a little confused though - what do you mean sleep on trousers?

Another thing could also be hair conditioner... if she washes her hair but isn't careful about washing her legs off too it can stop the tan taking... hard to tell without seeing the problem...

This is just a general comment really and any feedback great!

I'm a fully qualified and very competent spray tanner, I've been doing beauty for a number of years now and to be honest, I'm good at it.

I have lots of clients and my base is seeing huge growth at the moment of new clients.

Generally al l my clients rebook, the only time someone wouldn't is if they don't usually have tabs and it's for an occasion only.

Recently though I'd tanned someone and it was when we had the hit weather, shed had a tab previously from me and was happy. She had the tan when we had all that hit weather, I told here to sleep on trousers as she could sweat in the night and could make the tan go patchy.

We anyway I asked her how she got on the next day and she said she had white run marks down her legs! I know for 100% that this wasn't anything I had done. I thoroughly check each and every client, everyone always comments how through I am.

I know she had another tan this week elsewhere so I'm guessing she now things it was me.

Just find it annoying sometimes when clients blame us for this we haven't actually done.

Xx

night etc

Im not sure I would agree with the first two two analysis's of how this problem with streaks to the legs has occurred and agree fully with Tinxy

Why...well if it were due to perspiration there would need to be some serious perspiration to actually run down the leg and further more there would be other areas to the body where there would be problems such as under the arms

I somehow suspect that this is a very personal problem due to where the streaks are ...in short I feel she has had an accident soon afrer the tan application which has run down the leg and caused the streaks :o

This "personal" fluid is very good at stripping a tan :eek:

Asd you say it is such a shame when customers blame there therapist for problems which emanate from faults which they have effected and which are not within your control

HTH and don't let this incident get to you :hug:

Last edited:
And how would you tell the clients this one...???????:o:p Ummmm....:p

And how would you tell the clients this one...???????:o:p Ummmm....:p

Just add a paragraph to your aftercare advice card:

"Please behave like a human being and not an animal by using the toilet as it was intended to relieve yourself as skin contact with urine will cause your tan to streak". :D. :D. :D. :D

"Please behave like a human being and not an animal by using the toilet as it was intended to relieve yourself as skin contact with urine will cause your tan to streak". :D. :D. :D. :D

Haha I like it :) x

assuming this was the actual problem then that is certainly one good way opf putting it :eek::lol::hug:

Here's a story for you :)

Last week I did a returning client AND her flat mate! Obviously I was totally over the moon and excited! I had just got my litre bottles so even more excited! I filled up the cup with just over 100ml. (enough for 2 people)
So i get there, do the first girl, she's happy and excited as its her first. By this time there isnt enough to do 2 coats for the second girl (in my head im crying with failure and feel so stupid and very un professional) So i say to her I'll do you for £10 and if you dont like it i'll do you one for free? sounds fair enough.
THEN the first woman comes in saying i've got white lines one my arms, and by this time there was the smallest amount of dribble solution left in the cup (in my head im like ************wtf do i do?!) AND then the second girl has this trouble aswell! (head explodes) So I have a brain wave, the girls have tanning mitts, and i use the teeny tiny bit of solution left and blend it into their arms. SAVED THE DAY! So I didn't charge them full price which I couldn't really do but I wanted them to be happy!

I sent out a text to all my clients doing a £5 off offer AND the second girl text me to book in! :D I said I thought I had lost you as a customer and she text me back saying 'don't be silly just have enough for 2 coats this time!'

The moral of my very long story is.....Don't worry They will come back! :D

hi im new to spray tanning - do you all do 2 coats is this the norm? i only do one id been frightened of overloading?

hi im new to spray tanning - do you all do 2 coats is this the norm? i only do one id been frightened of overloading?

I do one full coat using the verticle and then my second coat is a very light misting using the horizontal method! Works perfect every time :D x

hi so do you the full routine again but change the level of spray and the direction of the nozzel to horizontal ?

hi so do you the full routine again but change the level of spray and the direction of the nozzel to horizontal ?

I do yes, but I do it much quicker, lower on the density dial and horizontal. Gives me a chance to check them over and ensure I haven't missed anywhere too :) xxx

It all depends on the solution used and the training that goes with the solution. LA Tan recommend one heavy coat, St Tropez rely on the amount of coats to give the final color 1=light 2=medium etc, Sienna X one coat only an so on. Rely on what your provider recommends and you will be OK. It can be confusing, hence the training and practice.

I use varying amounts, depending on the current requirement which unfortunately is something learned by experience, trial and error. Do what you feel and know to be right.

( A little snippet of info about me, when I changed solutions ages ago, I found less than perfect results and upon checking with the supplier found that I was overspraying. For me after nearly 25 years in the industry this was a huge shock. Thought I was perfect.LOL. I had always done 2-3 coats. Found I only needed 1) So the moral of the story is, never believe you are foolproof and follow the suppliers instructions. Doing that will make sure you have the best results

yeh i was only told about one when training so think i will stick with that x

I was taught one coat but always read the manufacturers instructions!!!

As for how to approach it with the client... you always need to see the lines before you can comment on it... if it's urine to be honest it's flaming obvious! If it's conditioner again it will pretty much be on the back of the legs only (none on the front)

So if it's a urine cause then think carefully about how you want to address it with your client... yes some might be shower pee-er's but others may have a genuine medical issue which you need to handle carefully... Women who have had children especially can have bladder control issues - putting a "behave like a human" comment on your care leaflet... have you any idea how upsetting that might be to someone who has a problem?

- putting a "behave like a human" comment on your care leaflet... have you any idea how upsetting that might be to someone who has a problem?

Tinxy, I think it was only a light hearted joke! I don't think she would actually put that on her forms lol xxx

This can all be put down to training... When you train with a reputable company ie Sienna X, Nouvatan, etc you will get a suppliers view on how the solution should be applied, then you would have the confidence to know what you are doing is right. Advice to clients on aftercare is important too. Provide clients with Q&A leaflets and remind them what to do....
You can always ring this client with an 'offer' you have on and if she says no thanks, then you have perfect opportunity to ask why? She may tell you last tan was rubbish, she may not but it'll open up dialogue...
Tan clients are fall into 2 catogories, faithfull till they die, or flitting around from one to another like butterflies depending on the offers around..

Latest posts

Back