Urgent help needed please, geeks!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duchess

Reaction score
My daughter has worked all day yesterday and all day today subbing out to a salon that is doing massages at the Paddock Wood Pop Festival.

She and her friend have worked their butts off outside and stayed over in a tent at this festival with no time for food but they got free tickets to get in. Now it is pouring with rain and there is no one to massage, everyone is packing up to go home and they have vouchers to proove that they have done over £80 each of massages today and about that for yesterday.

The salon owner is saying that they have not met their targets (which were never mentioned at any time previously) and that she is not paying them anything at all.

Any ideas on what they should do? A real quick response would be handy so that this woman does not get away!

Did they get anything in writing at all?? If not, I wouldn't hold out much hope for any redress. Failing that, perhaps a call in on the Citizens Advice bureau, or perhaps a visit to her salon tomorrow, remaining polite and professional at all times, of course..Are there any police or security around they could 'nab' and they have a word with her?? There are geeks that are salon owners who may be able to advise further..sorry cant help more.....

Did they discuss how and what thay where getting paid at all before agreeing ,let us know what happens:-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Thanks Tiger - have told her to get a signed statement from the person on a stall next door to confirm that they have worked from (whatever hours) so that they can go to small claims court with proof that they worked. But this is a very long winded way to go about your wages that you have been promised cash at the end of the festival.

I have also told her to call police. I dont know what she has in writing as it is on emails that i cant access, but no mention of certain number of massages to be performed before being paid or she would not have gone.

From what I can gather, the woman took the money from clients, gave the clients tickets that they passed to the girls when they had the massage. The girls then were to hand their tickets in to her at the end of the festival to get paid. I think they were getting something ridiculous like £5 per ticket.

The girls went back and spoke to her at the end of the day and were very polite and asked for their wages again, having given her all the facts of how many massages and times there were there. She point blankly refused and cheerily told them to take her to court for it!

The worst thing is, I have found out that she runs and owns a beauty training establishment - what is the world and our industry coming to????

I feel so sorry for them, starting out in the industry and doing their best to get work, for this to happen to them.

Omg who does she think she is ,feel bad for them hope thay get it sorted,and karma gets her :-/

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Orrrr this saddens me. Bless them. :evil:

So they have witness statements that they did in fact work there all day. E-mails that were exchanged are also available. Please please please take this nasty piece of poo to court and drag that money from her clenched fists.

Human nature is nasty at times. It's a shame that they will have to learn how to cover their backs the hard way. Cannot fathom why people cannot simply be kind and think of others.

Keep us updated.xx

Unfortunately the best lesson for them to start with... ALWAYS get a contract - I'm sorry but even going through Small Claims will be a pain - worth doing though! Tell them to keep hold of their tickets to prove their work as well as contact details of any other stall holders.
Send a recorded letter outlining the monies owed and give her 14 days to pay. If she fails to pay send a final reminder giving 7 days then lodge a small court claim including any costs incurred for chasing her (I'd say an hour or two for admin and cost of sending the letters recorded plus time to attend small claims court...)

Orrrr this saddens me. Bless them. :evil:

So they have witness statements that they did in fact work there all day. E-mails that were exchanged are also available. Please please please take this nasty piece of poo to court and drag that money from her clenched fists.

Human nature is nasty at times. It's a shame that they will have to learn how to cover their backs the hard way. Cannot fathom why people cannot simply be kind and think of others.

Keep us updated.xx

i agree, i haven't got started in the industry yet(only just qualified in hair).it really angers me how people can see your inexperience and take advantage of it.I hope the girls get their money in the end,and that nasty woman get bit in the but for treating people in this manner.
sazzax

Sad to hear this has happened :-(

Defo take her to court, if you/they dont she will carry on behaving in the same manner to more innocent youngsters

Good luck x

What a shame. I hope the girls get their wages & that nasty so&so gets her come-uppance. What goes around ... x

What an appalling way to treat people. I would go to the local papers and name and shame the salon owner. She should absolutely not be allowed to get away with it.

In fact, what is the name of the salon? Can you name it on here?

Contact the organisers of the festival, tell them exactly how this woman took them for a free ride.
It might not get them their wages but it will get her banned from future festivals.
Then Contact whoever this woman is affiliated with as a trainer, tell them the same thing, emails are admissible in court now so yes taking her to the small claims court will be an option, nothing on the emails about targets being met will be taken seriously.
Contact any local new paper that covered the festival and tell them what happened.
This woman also needs to be made aware that even if they do loose in the small claims court she will loose in the long run because once it has been through the small claims court the girls will be free to tell their story to every blog site, local paper, social media network, training provider, that they can think of. You don't beat people like this, you prove to them that it's cheaper to pay them.

Contact the organisers of the festival, tell them exactly how this woman took them for a free ride.
It might not get them their wages but it will get her banned from future festivals.
Then Contact whoever this woman is affiliated with as a trainer, tell them the same thing, emails are admissible in court now so yes taking her to the small claims court will be an option, nothing on the emails about targets being met will be taken seriously.
Contact any local new paper that covered the festival and tell them what happened.
This woman also needs to be made aware that even if they do loose in the small claims court she will loose in the long run because once it has been through the small claims court the girls will be free to tell their story to every blog site, local paper, social media network, training provider, that they can think of. You don't beat people like this, you prove to them that it's cheaper to pay them.
I agree, my husband promotes big events like this and he would be annoyed to say the least if someone who was involved in a festival was treating their staff like this, go a step further and send a letter to the festival organizer, get them to make it as official looking as possible and explain that as they havent been paid that you will be seeking further redress from the individual and should it not be resolved then you will be taking it further with the local press. As one of the other geeks said it just goes to show that it pays to get everything in writing, hopefully a lesson your daughter has now learned!!
xx

This is terrible! I cant believe shes taken advantage of them like this! I agree do take her to court and teach this nasty piece of work a lesson please!! Keep us updated! xx

That's a disgrace! You and the other girls mum should go to the salon to speak to the owner.

The nerve of the woman, i really hope you take this further and get results, people like this need the smile wiped off their smug face and the way to do it is hit them hard in the wallet department. i really hope you manage to sort this out xx good luck xx

Thank you so much everyone - didnt think of contacting the papers - thats a good one.

Would love to name and shame this salon and training school, but think it is against site rules.

My daughter said that a lot of the other girls were Thai and I would be very interested to find out if they got paid..

keep the advice coming as my daughter is writing it all down to take action, and once again, thank you all so much for your good wishes and advice.

I don't know bout festival working but do you have a certain licence / permit for stalls events etc? Would it be covered by trading standards or an organisation similar? Just a thought as SOMEBODY has to have an overview of these regulations....
Good luck to your daughter cx

I would name and shame her, your daughter may but you don't have any obligation regarding site rules!!!

Go to the paper, and although a pain take her to small claims, she may be smug and say sue me but this will make life difficult for her, I would do everything in my power to make that women squirm, she's a disgusting thief!!

Good luck to your daughter and her friend it's a hard life lesson but she will take this experience and become a bit more shrewd.

Latest posts

Back