Do I need insurance to do glitter tattoos at a fete?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieBeauty

Reaction score
Hi all. Popped over from the nail geek. I picked up some glitter tattoos at a show but called my insurer (ABT) to ask if I need a MUA qual to be insured - I was told I need a full level 3 beauty therapy qual to be insured in this. MUA or tanning won't do.

Fair enough even if you think that's OTT, it's their policy.

I can't help but think now, do I really need insurance for it? Was at a pamper evening last night where someone was doing them and I'm just not sure if you need to be insured for it. Are face painters insured, etc? Would love your thoughts. I'm certainly not doing it to make millions but thought as I have the kit it might be a fun addition to the day.

Thoughts, pitfalls, advice most welcome xx

Hiya, well as with every treatment that you carry out, on a paying customer, you should most definitely be insured.
I do facepainting and glitter tattoos and there is no way in hell that I would risk carrying out these services without insurance- imagine a child had a reaction to the products? You know it is far more professional to be insured for every treatment that you offer.
I would ring round a few more insurance companies as needing a level 3 beauty qualification does seem OTT, a lot of companies require a spray tan qualification x

Thanks pink fairy.
Can I ask who you are insured with and if it's off the back of tan training? I'm doing tan training this wkend so pleased to know some companies cover it for that.

Don't want to change companies as only just got this policy :( but need to do it properly, I know.

Thx x

I was insured with The Guild, if you give them a ring they will be able to give you an answer straight away. I am now insured with the Federation of Holistic Therapists, as they cover all of my treatments.
:) x

Thanks have tried Salon Gold will go to the guild now xx

I'm with BABTAC and I called to them to find out what I'd need to have to be covered to do vajazzled - apparently my waxing qualification is all they wanted - I'm not quite sure what the connection is lol Wax on and glue... uhmmmm :)

Anyway have to say it took some pestering to get an answer out of them and not convinced about it... so before I add it to my treatments I intend to get them to put it in an email lol

I dont believe you need a full level 3 beauty qualification to do glitter tattoos, that sounds crazy! so does that mean every facepainter who does this is level 3 trained??? nope i dont think so. Your MUA qualification should cover this

You don't need ANY qualification to do giltter tattoos with some insurance comopanies and the same for face painting. Different insurance companies have different criterea. Towergate to an 'entertainment' insurance which covers glitter tattoos and facepainting amongst other things without the necessity for any qualifications. However, it would mean taking out another insurance policy if your existing insurers won't cover you.

I have contacted one so far whose quote was as twenty more than what I'm already paying. Though I assume it would mean cancelling my current insurance and paying out full again. Will have to cost this one out - not worth it unless I make it back at the fete! Will look at tower gate. Thanks hon xx

Im with hiscoxs thay cover glitter tattoo im I hairdresser also do nails,tan ,waxing

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Well I've rung round. Everywhere else seems fine with the tan qual, but is a lot more money and ABT don't refund if you cancel - understandably. Although the person I just spoke to said they only require a level 2 beauty qual.

Ok then...maybe if I keep ringing it'll eventually get down to just needing a tanning qual :D

Will leave it till I renew. Not worth it just for a bit of fun! Xx thanks everyone

Latest posts

Back