Unusual Fingers/Nails ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobermum

Reaction score
Has anyone come across this? If so what is it?

I did a manicure on a friend. She has very strong, long nails. She usually wears a dark colour as she works in a dirty job, she says it hides the dirt on her nails while she is at work. The index and middle nail on her right hand are shorter than her other long nails as she uses them in her job. She works in a fruit and veg shop.

Anyway as I was doing her manicure I turned her fingers over to look underneath, and I was gob smacked. The pads of her fingers grow in a point up to the free edge of her long nails. There is no underneath to her nails. It is all finger. Very strange? I have never come across this before. Has anyone else?

Thanks Jane :confused:

I don't know about that last bit but the middle finger of my right hand has a shorter nail, and weirder has a longer side wall on one side than the other, the only reason I have been able to see for this is that I squeze my pen/pencil very tight which has caused a strange skin hardening thing and made my nail grow funny, or i'm just strange, i'm not sure,

HTH's a little bit x x x

I think you are refering to a hyponichium that extends onto the free edge, it can be quite common. I have a few customers that have high hyponichiums. Just be very careful when filing down the nail (and cleaning underneath also) cos if you file down too far it will tear the skin and be very painful. hth.

The pads of her fingers grow in a point up to the free edge of her long nails. There is no underneath to her nails. It is all finger.

Does it look similar to this?
http://www.hooked-on-nails.com/pterygium_Inversum_1.jpg
This is called inverse pterygium, it can be inherited but is usually the result of trauma or allergic reaction, aggressively cleaning or manicuring under the nail plate are an example of trauma. Allergic reactions to formaldehyde-containing nail harndeners can also cause this, also repeated applications of monomer liquids, UV gels or acid-based nail primers to the skin near the underside of the nail plate (Doug Schoon Nail Structure and Product Chemistry). It is recommended that the client see a doctor.
HTH

Grafxgal, it looks exactly like that. Wierd but thank you so much I will let my friend know Asap.

Is it common or was i just (un)lucky to see it?
Thanks
Jane

Have told my friend. She says that when the two finger nails break ( on her right hand) that they tear the skin and she always bleeds. She thought they were normal as she has always had them. She is going to check with her family to see if they have fingers /nails like this and if they haven't she will see the doctor.

Many Thanks

As well as being an abnormal condition, for some it can be perfectly normal for others; usually those with very long natural nail beds.

Has anyone come across this? If so what is it?

I did a manicure on a friend. She has very strong, long nails. She usually wears a dark colour as she works in a dirty job, she says it hides the dirt on her nails while she is at work. The index and middle nail on her right hand are shorter than her other long nails as she uses them in her job. She works in a fruit and veg shop.

Anyway as I was doing her manicure I turned her fingers over to look underneath, and I was gob smacked. The pads of her fingers grow in a point up to the free edge of her long nails. There is no underneath to her nails. It is all finger. Very strange? I have never come across this before. Has anyone else?

I think what you are seeing is called 'Solehorn'.

Here's a link for you to have a look at. I have one or two clients with this too.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/23322-nails-not-shedding-hyponychium.html?highlight=solehorn

Yes i have a couple of clients who have this problem coz they have long nail beds. have to be careful when cutting nails!

Thanks to everyone that has responded. I followed the link to solehorn. I think what it was saying is that solehorn is dead skin. Is this right? My friend's is very much alive. She has feeling in it and if she breaks a nail the skin tears and bleeds.

Latest posts

Back