Nail broken half way down nail bed what to do??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*sarah*

Pmu Geek
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My mum has clagel overlays, unfortunatley she fell the other day and her own nail underneath (as far as i can establish) has come away from her nail bed ouch! the calgel seems not to have been affect thou! the problem is she needs an infill done and I'm not sure what to do as I think it would be too painful but a removal would be too any ideas? xx

the thing is the nail actually looks perfect from the top but she can pull it up and the calgel slightly bends so u can see where it is lifting from, she held onto it and I cut it so it would'nt catch so much but now Im stuck on what to do leave it or soak it off I thought she could maybe wrap it with the stuff we use for saving our nails and fingers from filing for the life of me cant remember wha its called lol xx

the thing is the nail actually looks perfect from the top but she can pull it up and the calgel slightly bends so u can see where it is lifting from, she held onto it and I cut it so it would'nt catch so much but now Im stuck on what to do leave it or soak it off I thought she could maybe wrap it with the stuff we use for saving our nails and fingers from filing for the life of me cant remember wha its called lol xx

If it isn't like what I done and she has no bleeding I would perhaps still file the nail as if she has derailed her nail plate you don't want to worsen it by soaking. I would file what you can and keep that nail short, with an overlay.

hths :)

I could'nt actually see the pics of the damage just the fixed result lol I can see whats really happening as the calgel is still intact over it, she said it did bleed and the nail is lifting up I have cut it as short as poss, just worried ~I may cause more damage with whatever I do eek! lol xx

here it is

3723d31c6d4906c93d8b6cd5c1ddcf51_11179.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I once fell running up the stairs and banged my nail on the step above as I fell. The whole thing lifted and was barely attached up near the cuticle. I couldn't let anyone touch it for at least two weeks...it was SOOO painful! I kept a Band-Aid on it, changing it every night until I was able to remove it completely and assess the damage. The nail by this time was completely off.... It took forever to grow even just a little bit,enough to attach a tip. I think I left it bare for over a month...(maybe longer).... If her real nail lifted, I wouldn't attached anything to it until it heals. It'll only make it heavier and more susceptible to additional damage.

I always try and shorten the nail or cut off anything hanging. I ask my client to try and use the finger as normal to de-sensitise it. I would then fit a form and sculpt ontop or fuse nail together. I never use gel always l&p

Has she consulted a doctor about the nail?
Because if it is infected or sore, I would let it heal first before touching it anyway at all.

After it´s healed and not sore to touch (naturally it is sore to some extend as if the nail plate is gone half way down, the nerve ends will easily react to even light touch)... well, after this, I think a gel enhancement or cover could help her, as it looks like a nail and the nerve ends won´t be in contact with everything. So the nail underneath would have time and space to cure itself, which naturally takes months.

Here are some pictures of what I did with a very damaged nail plate.

Before & after:

nene-albums-nails+i%B4ve+done-picture12406-damaged-nail-before-gel-enhancement.jpg

Please be noted that the accident with the client´s nail had taken place 4 months ago and the nail/nailbed/or nail plate was neither sore nor was it infected in any way. It was only a matter of a cosmetic problem, and she approached me to "create" her a new nail she would not have to be so ashamed of.

nene-albums-nails+i%B4ve+done-picture12407-damaged-nail-after-gel-enhancement.jpg

I was just working to create a "nail looking nail", the looks of it is nowhere near perfect, but after the gel enhancement no damage was visible. Also, that weird looking text is Finnish language, so ignore it.
It is information for us Finns, basically it says "damaged nail before gel enhancement / Damaged nail after gel enhancement". :green:

the nail looks fab nene! I have cut it down short and I've decided to do an infill and change the colour to black on her other nails (will shorten these too) as her nail seems to be attached still I'm just going to polish over the top of it have advised her to put a plaster round it but she thinks its fine as she has'nt caught it yet............lol her nails grow quite quickly so I'm hoping it will heal quickly too :green: xx

Latest posts

Back