Salon Geek
                 

The Nail Geek Nail professionals discussing all aspects of hand and foot care.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  (#1) Old
Geeklin
lozz1s head weighs 8lbs
Posts: 63
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: brentwood
Neutral Do gel nails damage natural nail? - 04-02-12, 09:11 PM

I have been using Jessica GELeration where i work and have started to wear it myself and use on my clients. I am finding when its removed on my nails my nail plate is marked and rough. Is this just from it being buffed before application.? also where my nails grow fast after a week im seeing caps by the cuticle so i start to peel it off. !!!
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
Grand Geek
 
blossom's Avatar
blossom wishes s/he could speak whaleblossom wishes s/he could speak whaleblossom wishes s/he could speak whaleblossom wishes s/he could speak whaleblossom wishes s/he could speak whaleblossom wishes s/he could speak whaleblossom wishes s/he could speak whaleblossom wishes s/he could speak whaleblossom wishes s/he could speak whale
Posts: 5,828
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: England
04-02-12, 09:19 PM

As far as I am aware only two things can damage the natural nail, an over-zealous nail tech who files too much, and the client picking the nails off.
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
Geeklin
lozz1s head weighs 8lbs
Posts: 63
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: brentwood
04-02-12, 09:24 PM

i agree. think im gonna give them a break with a treatment coat get them back on track.
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
Massively geeky
NancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich champion
Posts: 832
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boston, MA USA
05-02-12, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom View Post
As far as I am aware only two things can damage the natural nail, an over-zealous nail tech who files too much, and the client picking the nails off.
Actually, the other thing that I think can damage natural nails is bad removal - either soaking in remover/acetone instead of using wraps, or overzealous scraping.
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
 
geeg's Avatar
geeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocket
Posts: 32,680
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Benissa, Costa Blanca, Spain
05-02-12, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancySyd View Post
Actually, the other thing that I think can damage natural nails is bad removal - either soaking in remover/acetone instead of using wraps, or overzealous scraping.

Damage caused by bad removal does not include soaking as opposed to wraps.

For gel polish, the reason wraps are recommended is simply to reduce exposure to acetone when removal is so frequent. It is simply prudent and an easy alternative.

I have removed enhancements safely for nigh on 27 years by soaking in warmed Acetone and never had a single problem from using that method. It is temporarily drying which is overcome by using SolarOil regularly as routine.

Bad removal is done by picking off product, prising off product, harsh scraping off of product, harsh filing/drilling off of product. Removing with a warm acetone soak off is not bad removal.
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
Massively geeky
NancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich championNancySyd is great quiddich champion
Posts: 832
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boston, MA USA
05-02-12, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeg View Post
Damage caused by bad removal does not include soaking as opposed to wraps.

For gel polish, the reason wraps are recommended is simply to reduce exposure to acetone when removal is so frequent. It is simply prudent and an easy alternative.

I have removed enhancements safely for nigh on 27 years by soaking in warmed Acetone and never had a single problem from using that method. It is temporarily drying which is overcome by using SolarOil regularly as routine.

Bad removal is done by picking off product, prising off product, harsh scraping off of product, harsh filing/drilling off of product. Removing with a warm acetone soak off is not bad removal.
I strongly disagree Geeg. Acetone is a powerful defatter, and excessive and repeated exposure to acetone dries the nail more than temporarily which is damage. You can compensate for that with additional moisturizing with Solar Oil, but it is damage. While you may religiously moisturize, many do not and that creates accumulated damage - especially since people who do not follow the manufacturer's instructions not to soak may also cut corners on other care areas.

In the context of SOGPs, acetone bowl soaks are damaging. CND Shellac is very clear about not soaking and you can't be certified if you do it. Geleration also warns against it. Such soaking is not in compliance with manufacturers' instructions and is a bad removal.
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
 
geeg's Avatar
geeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocketgeeg says folks don't laugh so loud when you got a grand in your pocket
Posts: 32,680
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Benissa, Costa Blanca, Spain
05-02-12, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancySyd View Post
I strongly disagree Geeg. Acetone is a powerful defatter, and excessive and repeated exposure to acetone dries the nail more than temporarily which is damage. You can compensate for that with additional moisturizing with Solar Oil, but it is damage. While you may religiously moisturize, many do not and that creates accumulated damage - especially since people who do not follow the manufacturer's instructions not to soak may also cut corners on other care areas.

In the context of SOGPs, acetone bowl soaks are damaging. CND Shellac is very clear about not soaking and you can't be certified if you do it. Geleration also warns against it. Such soaking is not in compliance with manufacturers' instructions and is a bad removal.
I think I made it clear that I was referring to enhancements and soaking and that wraps were for SOG,s to avoid too much exposure to the dehydrating effects of Acetone.

I think my post is not ambiguous and that we are on the same page but I have to make it clear that though a dehydrator, the 'damage' from removal with Acetone is only temporary in a similar way to bleaching my hair dehydrates it powerfully, as you put it, but I can condition my hair and at a stroke, minimise that drying affect; so I can natural nails with Solar Oil.

I am very familiar with all CND protocols for Shellac and every other product they manufacture. But thanks for reiterating them again for others.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





© 1997-2014 Sweet Squared LLP