Diabetic - facial

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choochy Face

Reaction score
Hey guys
I've done loads of facials but never on anybody with diabetics I'm soo scared any tips please xx

Talk to your insurance company before you even agree to lay a finger on her!

I agree with Lynne.

I know my insurance (The Guild) will cover me to treat a diabetic client so long as the procedure is non invasive and a facial falls under that for me, so long as they are standard and not advanced.

Provided you get the go ahead there really is no reason atall to be scared just be sure you know what youre dealing with.
Give her as much care and attention as you d any other client.

Last edited:
You need to be aware that diabetes is only an illness and as long as you kno the risks with certain treatments you will be fine.
It's not something to refuse someone a treatment because they have it but tailor it to suit them instead.

Everyone deserves a treat !

You need to be aware that diabetes is only an illness and as long as you kno the risks with certain treatments you will be fine.
It's not something to refuse someone a treatment because they have it but tailor it to suit them instead.

Everyone deserves a treat !

No diabetes is a chronic disease. That said there is no reason why this client can't have a facial but if your unsure always check with your insurance

Check insurance first, if that is all good this is what I would do: First of all what type of diabetic is she? Type 1 diabetics can have a low immune system so anything to invasive such as dermarollers is out. Sometimes they can heal badly and get infections that can lead onto other problems such as neuropathy (lack of skin sensation) which can be dangerous. Get a GP letter!

If she is type 2 and taking medication it's a little less risky, still get GP letter and if its type 2 diet controlled, you should be ok, again, just avoid anything to invasive
hygiene should be inpecable

Hygiene should be impeccable regardless of any disease.

Diabetics don't heal badly they heal slowly.

I'm fact the I a lot of this info is Incorrect and this is why I stress speak to your insurer and don't take the uninformed guess work on a public forum!

Last edited:
I'm trying very hard to stay calm in the face of all the misinformation...

I'm trying very hard to stay calm in the face of all the misinformation...

There are so many diabetic resources that there really isn't an excuse. Every diabetic is different also.

badly, slowly, so sorry my termanology wasn't impecable! Dont be so picky, plus, just so you are aware, I feel my information is quite acurate, I said at the top to check with her insurance and a gp. And for your personal information I am quite happy with my answer as I myself am A diabetic!

*terminology. In this instance... When dealing with someone's health and advising on it it needs to be spot on!

I'm not going to argue this point and your facts. Regardless wether you have diabetes or not you are wrong.

I was taught you had to careful with diabetics skin but not that they couldn't have facials??

My mum has type 2 diabetes and comes to me for facials and also has massages from another therapist regularly. I think she'd be quite upset if we decided she couldn't be treated.

Lynne does your insurance not cover treatments on diabetics?

For some treatments no, it doesn't. I don't do derma roller, electricals, red veins, microderm, peels, electrolysis etc because diabetes is contra-indicated, not just because of the insurance restrictions.
What's needed here is a thorough understanding of the body systems, A & P, the disease pathology and the effect of beauty treatments on them.
This is where your one day course falls down.

I apologise in advance for the following paragraph; I have a temperature, I've been ill for 5 days, my poor humsbums is sick too and I've had no fewer than 8 bloody cancellations this week alone.

It's all very well people going on about how one day courses are just fine and dandy. For the most part they skim the surface.
How many of you here genuinely understand the effect that steroids have on the skin. Unless you carry out a thorough consultation before you start you're not going to know that your client is taking them and then when their skin bruises and/or worse, tears, you will be held accountable.

Diabetics come in all shapes and sizes. Some look after their sugars and some don't.
Their eyesight can be affected, their ability to heal is impaired, they get infections much more readily, their peripheral nerves can be damaged.
You go buggering around with strong facial components, assertive massage, poor waxing technique and you could easily damage them.

Do I know all this stuff because I did a long course? Nope, I know this stuff because I am a Registered General Nurse, with a Masters in Operating Theatre Nursing, and because I take this all very seriously indeed.

For people who would love a facial because they have a terminal condition I would say give them your most luxurious, but inert facial; they're going to die anyway, and the treat would lift their spirits.

For those of you who don't understand diabetes please go back to your text books and read up about it. It is not just an illness as one poster put it; it is a lifelong, life limiting, chronic (look that up if you don't know what it means), life altering disease.

I'm really sorry for the polemic. I told you I was ill!

For some treatments no, it doesn't. I don't do derma roller, electricals, red veins, microderm, peels, electrolysis etc because diabetes is contra-indicated, not just because of the insurance restrictions.
What's needed here is a thorough understanding of the body systems, A & P, the disease pathology and the effect of beauty treatments on them.

I apologise in advance for the following paragraph; I have a temperature, I've been ill for 5 days, my poor humsbums is sick too and I've had no fewer than 8 bloody cancellations this week alone.

It's all very well people going on about how one day courses are just fine and dandy. For the most part they skim the surface.
How many of you here genuinely understand the effect that steroids have on the skin. Unless you carry out a thorough consultation before you start you're not going to know that your client is taking them and then when their skin bruises and/or worse, tears, you will be held accountable.

Diabetics come in all shapes and sizes. Some look after their sugars and some don't.
Their eyesight can be affected, their ability to heal is impaired, they get infections much more readily, their peripheral nerves can be damaged.
You go buggering around with strong facial components, assertive massage, poor waxing technique and you could easily damage them.

Do I know all this stuff because I did a long course? Nope, I know this stuff because I am a Registered General Nurse, with a Masters in Operating Theatre Nursing, and because I take this all very seriously indeed.

For people who would love a facial because they have a terminal condition I would say give them your most luxurious, but inert facial; they're going to die anyway, and the treat would lift their spirits.

For those of you who don't understand diabetes please go back to your text books and read up about it. It is not just an illness as one poster put it; it is a lifelong, life limiting, chronic (look that up if you don't know what it means), life altering disease.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Sorry your ill :-( but that post was spot on! And needed! Xxx

Very well said Lynne. Diabetes isn't something to fear if you understand what you are dealing with, and I'm sure a diabetic client would totally understand if you needed more details off them to make sure you were giving them the best and safest treatment possible.
Jade. X

Sorry choochy have I misread your post? Did you mean peels, derma rollers etc? I read it as a pampering facial (cleanse, tone, message etc) which shouldn't break the skin :O lol. But you need to be aware some diabetics suffer neuropathy (nerve damage) so be careful with hot towels massage pressure etc.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to...s-extra-pages/Beauty_treatments_and_diabetes/

Here's a slightly useful resource from
Diabetes UK

Latest posts

Back