Are acrylics really bad for your natural nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ella's Tresses

Reaction score
I'm a beautician but only qualified in gels. Since I began in beauty, long before I could do gels, I've always been led to believe acrylics are the root of all evil and tell clients to avoid them like the plague. To be honest they don't really suit my nails either.

Is it correct though that gels are better than acrylics?

I like to give my clients a balanced view so they can decide what's right for them, even if it's suggesting that they find out about a treatment I don't offer. I find it builds trust and I've always prided myself on keeping up to date and having a good knowledge of pros and cons on treatments I don't offer.

I'm honestly no longer sure if I'm right in thinking that acrylics are bad, though, having heard differing opinions from people in the last few months.

What should I be telling my clients about acrylics vs gels?

I'm not trained in enhancements so may be talking a load of twaddle, but I'm under the impression that done correctly, acrylics are not harmful to your nails. The preparation that some NSS use is harmful however. Hopefully someone who is qualified will be along soon to answer your question in full

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Acrylic and gel is the same thing- gel is just the pre mixed version. They are both acrylic really- that's why we say l&p and gel.

It's not the product per se which damaged the nails, but the application and removal methods associates with them. Over buffing the nail plate before application, Picking then off, catching them, breaking them will all cause damage to the nail. There really is no difference in the two and I believe gel produces odourless fumes the same way acrylic liquid produces the smell as well!

I'm trained in both and no they aren't. There is a belief that they are but this is mostly down to the fact that MMA used to be used (and even though not legal it is still sometimes used by NSS salons) google MMA.

I did my training with CND and prep is the same for both gel and L+P. both Gel and L+P are acrylic, just slightly different in how they are made/cured. As with all treatments, if a tech is prepping and applying properly they will not damage the nails.

Hope that helps,

Also I love L+P, I use it the most and lasts great on harder handed clients!

X

Thanks it really does. I'm definitely going to do some more research into MMA. I had no idea gel and acrylics are essentially the same thing x

I get this all the time.

People tell me they will never get Acrylics done as it ruins your nails.

It's not the product it's the Technician who ruins your nails.
They have been given bad publicity due to NSS salons.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I get this all the time.

People tell me they will never get Acrylics done as it ruins your nails.

It's not the product it's the Technician who ruins your nails.
They have been given bad publicity due to NSS salons.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I have to be honest, I was told acrylics were 'bad' by my beauty tutor 13 years ago and it's stuck. More fool me for just accepting it for so long but I don't honestly remember seeing NSS salons around in those days so I'm not sure what her reasoning behind it was. Either way I agree that there are a lot of horror stories out there as a result of these salons popping up over the last decade which has probably skewed my view even further.

The only thing that can damage your nail is a poor technician. Acrylic is gel in a liquid and powder form applied, cared for and removed correctly it will not damaged the nails any more than gels

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

I disagree with a lot of the therapists stating gel is the same as acrylic just in diff form. Certain products your hard gels not all gels pls don't generalize.
Calgel is natural made from honey geez wax extract you can actually peel it off and yor own nails underneath won't be ruined I just did that to my own yesterday. However it was very naught of me and no it's completely wrong one should soak off correctly.

The actual molecular structure of the soft gels and acrylic is differnt as well, the Calgel basically are bigger bubbles per day and so it's got more air or space between so it's softer and can let nails respire. Acrylic or hard gels have smaller bubbles (I am completely simplifying it by using word bubble for better understanding) so it's harder in feeling and stronger but bcoz of this the nail can't respire so when removed it would be softer then with having had gel.
However it takes about 24 hours for ur natural nail to resume back to its original hardness etc.. I like to soak off and do new set next day if possible but most ladies don't like waiting.

I have clients who had gels on for years come twice a month and her natural nails are still hard and same with my die hard acrylic clients with the exception to the clients who peel their acrylic off because they impatient with soaking off. Or don't want to pay extra for a soak off. But they only try but once!! Hahahahahah

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1397803362.820957.jpgMy own nails I peeled my Calgel off and they my ruined at all.

Beauty at your finger tips!

I disagree with a lot of the therapists stating gel is the same as acrylic just in diff form. Certain products your hard gels not all gels pls don't generalize.
Calgel is natural made from honey geez wax extract you can actually peel it off and yor own nails underneath won't be ruined I just did that to my own yesterday. However it was very naught of me and no it's completely wrong one should soak off correctly.

The actual molecular structure of the soft gels and acrylic is differnt as well, the Calgel basically are bigger bubbles per day and so it's got more air or space between so it's softer and can let nails respire. Acrylic or hard gels have smaller bubbles (I am completely simplifying it by using word bubble for better understanding) so it's harder in feeling and stronger but bcoz of this the nail can't respire so when removed it would be softer then with having had gel.
However it takes about 24 hours for ur natural nail to resume back to its original hardness etc.. I like to soak off and do new set next day if possible but most ladies don't like waiting.

I have clients who had gels on for years come twice a month and her natural nails are still hard and same with my die hard acrylic clients with the exception to the clients who peel their acrylic off because they impatient with soaking off. Or don't want to pay extra for a soak off. But they only try but once!! Hahahahahah

View attachment 62382My own nails I peeled my Calgel off and they my ruined at all.

Respire? I thought it was a general consensus that nails do not need to breathe as they are dead?

Also, I was told that l&p and gel are essentially the same ingredients but in different forms. I'm not 100% on that though.

We need clarification from a scientifically minded geek who is 100% on this.

View attachment 62382My own nails I peeled my Calgel off and they my ruined at all.

Respire?
Nails don't have lungs.... This is a popular assumption/ mistaks made by many a nail tech but it's in no way true. Same way hair doesn't breathe! It's not living, it doesn't have a respiratory system?! Check your diagram of nail structure.

Also I think we all took the OP to be asking about conventional hard gels. Not cal gel etc- although soak of gels are no better or worse for the natural nails than any other enhancement! You pick them off- they take a layer of nail off with it.

They are the same thing! According to my CND class (and NVQ):
Acrylic is a liquid and powder (monomer and polymer) which links together to an make oligomers

Gel is essentially the same thing- but in oligomer form already.

I'm sure a science geek will come on with a deeper explanation.

As long as you oil your nails regularly when wearing acrylics, with an oil such as solar oil which penetrates through the product, your natural nails still get nourished so won't be in bad condition if they are ever removed

I was taught in training that the acrylics don't damage your nails any more than the gel does. It's a poor technician that damages the nails.
My lecturer told me that some people prefer gels as they think they feel more flexible and lighter than acrylics.
Also that acrylics can feel stronger for the client.
I have asked clients and they agree, though I'm not sure if it is 100% true, but that's what's clients seem the believe.
I always stress to my clients that neither should damage your nails and it's the technician or in which way they are removed that causes the damage.
If they are bitten off...there will be damage, this goes for both gels & acrylics :) xxxx

Respiration is actually the chemical reaction in which your cells produce energy, not breathing.

Respire?
Nails don't have lungs.... This is a popular assumption/ mistaks made by many a nail tech but it's in no way true. Same way hair doesn't breathe! It's not living, it doesn't have a respiratory system?! Check your diagram of nail structure.

Also I think we all took the OP to be asking about conventional hard gels. Not cal gel etc- although soak of gels are no better or worse for the natural nails than any other enhancement! You pick them off- they take a layer of nail off with it.

Thank you for your comment and we don't need to get nasty with one anther we all here to learn and help from one another.
I mean that the air can pass thro more risky between the molecules and supposed to hard gel or acrylic.

I am in now ways stupid or appreciate some comment insinuating that I am or don't understand how nails work.

Original question was asked I answered and gave helpful feedback.

Those who don't have knowledge or trainning in all systems or products are all entitled to their op ions and like I said. I know it was bad to peel gel off what I was meaning or the point trying to get across is that is is softer and more gelly in texture and unlike acrylic or hard gel comes off easily.
If you read my post properly you see I even said this was incorrect.

So thank you once again to those of you for snide comments. Which are not necessary. We all professional and have been trainned in basic nail structure etc no need to get funny with one another.

Have a lovely wk end and happy Easter.

I must confess I don't like the idea being put out there that if you are an L&P Nail Technician, and if a client's nails get damaged in any way, it was because of your application.

Yes, poor application of product can damage the client's nail but if a client accidently bangs or knocks their nails and the acrylic breaks, this could cause damage to the natural nail too. Also if the client pulls the acrylics off, this will take layers of natural nail off and damage the client's nails.

And depending on where you reside, you might not even have NSS for miles and miles from you! I personally have never even seen one near where I am.

I was taught by CND that hard gel suits clients with hard nails that need flexibility from the gel and people with weak brittle nails need acrylic as it's harder and adds more strength. Opposites attract is how we were taught to remember. I hope this helps with product choices for your clients during assessment prior to treatments ;) xxx

I trained in both and this is what I learned and what I tell clients....
Acrylic is for clients with soft flexible nails and gel is for clients with harder nails that tend to peel and crack.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for your comment and we don't need to get nasty with one anther we all here to learn and help from one another.
I mean that the air can pass thro more risky between the molecules and supposed to hard gel or acrylic.

I am in now ways stupid or appreciate some comment insinuating that I am or don't understand how nails work.

Original question was asked I answered and gave helpful feedback.

Those who don't have knowledge or trainning in all systems or products are all entitled to their op ions and like I said. I know it was bad to peel gel off what I was meaning or the point trying to get across is that is is softer and more gelly in texture and unlike acrylic or hard gel comes off easily.
If you read my post properly you see I even said this was incorrect.

So thank you once again to those of you for snide comments. Which are not necessary. We all professional and have been trainned in basic nail structure etc no need to get funny with one another.

Have a lovely wk end and happy Easter.

Apologies... Wasn't meaning to be snidey at all- i typed in a rush and Insensitively.. And having read back my message was a bit abrupt so I am sorry about that. If you could hear me saying it then you would know I wasn't trying to be rude- just in healthy debate. I just meant it's a very common misconception from us nail techs and clients alike that nails breathe.

To be honest - before I got into nails I thought nails breathe for many years, and I thought acrylics were bad for many years and I had no idea gel was the same thing. I would always take my nails off for a couple months stating they needed to breathe! Untill someone said to me- where are the lungs then??

Once again sorry for my bluntness!

Latest posts

Back