"Do what you like?"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicky X

Reaction score
Hi hair geeks, I am not a qualified hairdresser, I am also not precious about my hair. Dont get me wrong, I love my hair and look after it very well, I am just not the type who is fussed about having it cut/coloured/styled differently. I went to my hairdresser a while back and my hair was down to my bum, I basically told her she could do whatever she liked and she was over the moon with this, she suggested a jaw level bob, shorter at the back and a complete colour change, I told her I was more than willing and I loved it. So my question is, what are your thoughts on a client who will let you take the reigns to do what you like on their hair, would you feel comfortable with this or does it put you in an awkward position? Have any of you had this happen?

Thanks

I LOVE clients like that!!
I have 3 ladies who never know what they're going to have from one appointment to the next.

At most I tell them if it's a new colour.
Luckily one of them has hair that grows while I'm cutting it..(metaphorically speaking) ..it's grows like wildfire. So I have full reign on her hair,

Another had washed out dirty purple box job hair, one length to shoulders the first time she came to me, she left with a leopard print side shaved aysametric bob in Red...she loved it...

I'm flattered when a client trusts me to the full and let's me experiment - but I never do anything that won't suit their face shape or skin tone.

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

That's what I say all the time!

Never had a colour out of it though! Love not knowing what I'm getting :)

Well Khs my hair also grows like wildfire, maybe one of the reasons I don't mind having a lot taken off as I know before long it will be back, yes I completely trusted that she would suggest a style/ colour that would suit my face shape and she was totally right, do you think it's common for professional confident hairdressers to love clients like this or are they few and far between.

Love the red leopard print story 😊

I'm not really sure to be honest, I've come across a few over the yrs who won't think outside the box and has no idea creativity to suit face shapes and just stick to the norm, but I guess they're happy doing what they do :)

But there are a hell of a lot of us out there...and in here, where our only limit is our imagination and not afraid to push it out there.

I've done this twice. I always think that hairdressers think I'm crazy lol. But in the twice I've done it, once it worked out really well I had an a line Bob with it took up the back when it was down at my shoulders. Second time I got the exact same cut off another hairdresser only difference was the fringe. Not hat I mind it but the way she was speaking it was going to be shorter..funkier. My hair grows like wildfire and is getting long again and I'm going to find another hairdresser and see if she can give me something different. I don't think I'd have the colour changed as I love my red but I'm so bored of my hair (rather quickly). I need someone to come chop it up and give me something funky lol.

I've done this twice. I always think that hairdressers think I'm crazy lol. But in the twice I've done it, once it worked out really well I had an a line Bob with it took up the back when it was down at my shoulders. Second time I got the exact same cut off another hairdresser only difference was the fringe. Not hat I mind it but the way she was speaking it was going to be shorter..funkier. My hair grows like wildfire and is getting long again and I'm going to find another hairdresser and see if she can give me something different. I don't think I'd have the colour changed as I love my red but I'm so bored of my hair (rather quickly). I need someone to come chop it up and give me something funky lol.

Yes that's exactly how i feel, like they think I'm crazy! I get bored really quickly too but I love hearing different opinions of styles that will suit me, my hair has also been almost every colour imaginable (black, pink, red and the brightest blonde to name a few) I love changing it up, some people have the same style for years and is a massiv difference when they change it, however when I change mine no one seems to give it a second thought as they are used to me chopping and changing so is pretty normal for me.

Ive had that and "do what you think"... but when its come down to it and ive spoken to them they never actually meant... do what you like lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes that's exactly how i feel, like they think I'm crazy! I get bored really quickly too but I love hearing different opinions of styles that will suit me, my hair has also been almost every colour imaginable (black, pink, red and the brightest blonde to name a few) I love changing it up, some people have the same style for years and is a massiv difference when they change it, however when I change mine no one seems to give it a second thought as they are used to me chopping and changing so is pretty normal for me.

I'm the exact same! My mums biggest gripe is the fact that I had "lovely hair" before I started dying it! But I hated my natural hair colour it was so boring! My hair is and has been bright red for many years now. I did want to go a more orange colour but it was difficult to do myself (I'm not a hairdresser) might pluck up the courage and find someone to do it for me. I've had my hair all sorts of lengths too. Was considering growing it but now I can pin it up in a bobble I'm considering chopping it! I need some crazy hairdresser to do something to my hair when I need a change.. Which would be every couple of months! Lol.

I'm the exact same! My mums biggest gripe is the fact that I had "lovely hair" before I started dying it! But I hated my natural hair colour it was so boring! My hair is and has been bright red for many years now. I did want to go a more orange colour but it was difficult to do myself (I'm not a hairdresser) might pluck up the courage and find someone to do it for me. I've had my hair all sorts of lengths too. Was considering growing it but now I can pin it up in a bobble I'm considering chopping it! I need some crazy hairdresser to do something to my hair when I need a change.. Which would be every couple of months! Lol.

Trip to Norfolk every 2 months?? Lol

My mam is constantly surprised at how good the condition of my hair is considering the colour changes it had been through. Lol, I too was bright red once and really liked it but found when I wanted to change it it was really hard to remove without bleaching, what shade of orange are you talking? Like a really bright copper? I too would like to find a hairdresser like that but how do you go about it? I mean you can't exactly Google "crazy hairdressers in my area" haha.

Lmao @google crazy hairdressers hahaha

Why not just take advantage of the free consultation in a few salons and pick the craziest lol

If I could google "crazy hairdresser" I really would! The tag line should be "get bored easy..come to me!

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414350383.501872.jpg

This is the colour I want to be.. It's kinda off red/orange. It's just different. Everyone has red hair cause of Rihanna -siiigghh- and I like to be a bit different. I really wouldn't like to have my hair bleached again, used to do it when I was younger and it just messes up my hair - it's fine but there is lots of it. And I've spent ages trying to keep on top of it with 8-10 week cuts and osmo conditions just to get it into a good condition. I won't attempt it myself lol. Maybe take the picture with me to some consultations like KHS says and say this is the colour I want and as for the cut I'll close my eyes and you do what you want lol.

If I could google "crazy hairdresser" I really would! The tag line should be "get bored easy..come to me!

View attachment 77669

This is the colour I want to be.. It's kinda off red/orange. It's just different. Everyone has red hair cause of Rihanna -siiigghh- and I like to be a bit different. I really wouldn't like to have my hair bleached again, used to do it when I was younger and it just messes up my hair - it's fine but there is lots of it. And I've spent ages trying to keep on top of it with 8-10 week cuts and osmo conditions just to get it into a good condition. I won't attempt it myself lol. Maybe take the picture with me to some consultations like KHS says and say this is the colour I want and as for the cut I'll close my eyes and you do what you want lol.

That colour is great, and your right it's differen. Go for it!! 😊

Lmao @google crazy hairdressers hahaha

Why not just take advantage of the free consultation in a few salons and pick the craziest lol

Great idea KHS, it will also give a better understanding of the stylist and their thoughts/ideas, thanks 😊

Yup...and when you say... I want something completely different what do you think....if he or she runs riot with ideas..BOOK IN..if you get a simple...Ermm well what sort of thing do you want...run a mile lol

Yup...and when you say... I want something completely different what do you think....if he or she runs riot with ideas..BOOK IN..if you get a simple...Ermm well what sort of thing do you want...run a mile lol

Great advice, yeah it should be pretty obvious from their reaction wether they are confident. Thanks x

Latest posts

Back