£80 stolen from my purse, advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oatridge2006

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Was doing a treatment this afternoon, but at lunch was sorting money in my purse - knew I had £90, 4 x £20 and 2 x £5, during the treatment I had to go out of the room to get some water (it's a home salon by the way) I had 2 ladies with their children, 3 in total.
Once I had finished the treatments I sorted money in my tin and purse my purse had no £20 in at all!!!!!! But the 2x£5 were still there!!
I had my bag and purse in the room - now looking back stupid I know!

I'm so annoyed as trusted them, one lady had been before, her friend it was my first time meeting. The lady I had met before is coming back tomorrow for another friend and is a £60 treatment.

What do I do? Contact her? Speak to her tomorrow after doing the £60 treatment?

Is there any way I can claim on insurance? Do I go to the police etc??

So so gutted, working so hard to get my business up and running and been so poorly and today and has my first day back at work, preying the stress doesn't knock me back!!

Any advice please????

Hi geeks,

Was doing a treatment this afternoon, but at lunch was sorting money in my purse - knew I had £90, 4 x £20 and 2 x £5, during the treatment I had to go out of the room to get some water (it's a home salon by the way) I had 2 ladies with their children, 3 in total.
Once I had finished the treatments I sorted money in my tin and purse my purse had no £20 in at all!!!!!! But the 2x£5 were still there!!
I had my bag and purse in the room - now looking back stupid I know!

I'm so annoyed as trusted them, one lady had been before, her friend it was my first time meeting. The lady I had met before is coming back tomorrow for another friend and is a £60 treatment.

What do I do? Contact her? Speak to her tomorrow after doing the £60 treatment?

Is there any way I can claim on insurance? Do I go to the police etc??

So so gutted, working so hard to get my business up and running and been so poorly and today and has my first day back at work, preying the stress doesn't knock me back!!

Any advice please????
So sorry to hear about this but sadly there's really nothing you can do. You have no way of proving who stole the money and the police have no way of proving any monies she has actually belonged to you. I also think the insurance will tell you the same thing.

Seriously let it be a lesson learnt and keep any valuables locked away. :hug:

Its such a shame that you just can't trust anyone these days!

Yes could always say to her that money went missing from your purse yesterday and you have contacted the police who may want to speak to her, is it ok to pass her number on and just gauge her reaction? then it doesn;t look like your accusing her as you can say they want to speak to everyone!!

You could report it but as there have been more than one person in the room with your money they wont be able to prove which one it was

Chin up and be positive, don't let them beat you, what ghoes around comes around :hug:

You could always be cheeky and text her saying 'please dont return, I have CCTV in my beauty room'. Then see how she responds!

xx

I agree. Text that person and let her know that you've forwarded her information as well as the other one or two clients (helps to think she's narrowed down) onto the police and that they will be contacting her. Then, yes, see how she responds. It's just a little fib, and if she still doesn't fess up, it will let her know that you're on to her.
But yes, always keep valubles and money kept out of anyones reach.
So sorry this happened to you. People are awful these days.
Jane

You could always be cheeky and text her saying 'please dont return, I have CCTV in my beauty room'. Then see how she responds!

xx

I wouldn't Go that far!That's accusing her and it could just be a simple mistake!
I understand where you are comIng from, I would be gutted. I too work from home and now and again have money in my room when clients are left alone, but it's not much, just enough to give them change if they need it. I always take any cash out of my beauty room as I'm sure you will now.
Either put it down to experience knowing you won't make that mistake again or you could say you are passing all clients details onto police or insurance. Be careful though, you don't want to get her upset and risk her not returning or bad mouthing you to other people.
Maybe Suss her out on her next appointment.

thats awful, so sorry this has happened to you. The thing is, they're all in on it regardless of who actually took the money, because they sat by and witnessed the money being taken so none of them are innocent. I would ring the client (dont text) and explain that money was stolen from you when you left the room and you would really appreciate it if she would tell you who it was who took the money. Say that if the person owns up and returns the money you wont take the matter further, but that if no one comes forward you will pass your purse to the police for them to fingerprint it and find out who took the money. Hopefully this will encourage them to own up and return your cash. good luck x

I wouldn't call or text anyone. You don't actually know who took the money and tbh the other lady may not have a clue who took it, or it may have been one of the kids.
What I would maybe do,is when the lady comes in tomorrow mention that there was a theft in your house today. Tell her you have CCTV and that your husband is going to go through it with you at the weekend and then you will be contacting police.

I would say it in a very lighthearted manner, not in an accusing tone at all. You could even go as far as to say you're not sure what day it was stolen so that she doesn't think youre blaming any client in particular.

My thinking is that this may get her chatting to the kids and friend and maybe either bring the money back anonymously or never darken your doorstep again. Either way if they are thieves you dont want them in your house again tbh.

Be very careful tomorrow with what you leave around. Check expensive Facial products are counted and checked immediately before and after and even put away if you won't be using on this client.

It's a very tricky situation. I don't really know which way I would play it tbh. Either way though it's crucial you don't start throwing accusations around.

I've had kit stolen this week, nail polishes and shellac plus make up, its either my 14 year old babysitter or a client. Either way I'm really gutted but a valuable lesson learnt x

I've often wondered about this when Clients are left to change for a tan. It would be easy to pocket a polish or 6 which are behind my tan tent when it's up!
So far my clients have all been lovely but I'm curious to watch this thread.
X

Such a shame. We have had to start putting nail polish in a drawer after a few colours went walk about and just use the colour sticks so the customer can choose colours... I'd be mortified if money went missing, mine or any of the staff

Consider telling her money has gone missing but do it as suggested previously, in a way which isnt accusing her, more like you're making conversation and how you're shocked someone would do such a thing...

If you can clear your room of expensive products and bring them in as you need them, I know its sounds extreme but needs must by the sounds of it

I wouldn't let either of them back in the house. I would explain the money has gone missing sometime during their last appointments and leave it at that as you can't prove anything but it tells them that you know.

Thank you for all your replies! I can't not let them back for the treatment today as that would then make me another £60 down!
Th treatment is teeth whitening so it could have been possible for one of the ladies not to have known a thing - they are laid on the bed with goggles on and under a UV light right over the mouth so difficult to move your head around!

I think I'm just going to have to put it down to a hard lesson learnt! Once the lady and a different friend are there I was just going to drop into convo about the money to see her reaction - but at the end of the day if people are up for taking this money the last thing they are going to do is admit the fact or give it back!

Thank you for all your support everyone, I am slowly calming down! Just hope no one else will have to suffer the same way and a lesson learnt! X

Thank you for all your replies! I can't not let them back for the treatment today as that would then make me another £60 down!
Th treatment is teeth whitening so it could have been possible for one of the ladies not to have known a thing - they are laid on the bed with goggles on and under a UV light right over the mouth so difficult to move your head around!

I think I'm just going to have to put it down to a hard lesson learnt! Once the lady and a different friend are there I was just going to drop into convo about the money to see her reaction - but at the end of the day if people are up for taking this money the last thing they are going to do is admit the fact or give it back!

Thank you for all your support everyone, I am slowly calming down! Just hope no one else will have to suffer the same way and a lesson learnt! X
Good response and for the best I think. You can't prove they stole the money. Just best to take it as lesson learned. To be honest, if a therapist even mentioned something like this to me as an innocent client just to gauge my reaction, I would think I was being accused and feel very uncomfortable.

Im sorry to say but I think you're just going to have to chalk it up to experience. There isnt anything you can do. Yes, you can have the awkward conversations with the client but it really wont get you anywhere. What if it was the kids and they knew nothing about it?
Suck it up. Expensive lesson learnt. Dont leave that much cash in an accessable place!
xxxx

I'd agree that you can't confront the clients but i'd be tempted to leave my purse/bag out again and put a note in it saying 'you're not stealing from me a second time!' It wouldn't help the situation but would make me feel a whole lot better!!:lol:

I'd agree that you can't confront the clients but i'd be tempted to leave my purse/bag out again and put a note in it saying 'you're not stealing from me a second time!' It wouldn't help the situation but would make me feel a whole lot better!!:lol:

Lol I like this. When I was in retail there was a lot of pickpocket ing going on in the town so I photocopied a £20 note one sided (it's not fraud if the other side is missing) and wrote f*****g theif! On the other side. Put it in my pocket so it suck out a bit and went "walkies" the note went missing. Hope they didn't look at the other side until they tried to spend it haha.

With your situation, do you have any cupboards or drawers in your room? Could you not attach a lock to them?
Also use a cash box with change in it for clients change, a max of £20 I. £1 and 50p's should do it unless you have prices at £x.79p or the like.

Will start a thread on reducing theft now xoxo

I never keep much cash in my treatment room so nothing to go walkies really... But I did go to one therapist who when I paid her grabbed the box on the table and took out a WAD of cash and added mine... not in a locked box or anything. She'd been out of the room several times (legitimate reasons) and I could have helped myself if I'd gone through her table! It made me feel so uncomfortable I didn't go back :(
As for people stealing Shellac - I wonder if they realised they would need a UV light to set it? ;) I know they cost a bomb but would at least amuse me to think of someone sat waving their hands about for AGES trying to get it to set ;)

First thing that came to mind was track them down and slash two tyres. It would cost them that much to replace them and the hassle would be lovely to watch.

Having said that though, I havent got the guts to do it!!!

Sad state of affairs when people do something so low. Scum bags!!

Haha loved some of the replies!! I would of LOVED to have seen the persons face who stole the £20 note when they realised the other side!!

I have learnt my lesson now, be it an expensive one! Have one tin in my salon room with change in and another tin with my money in kept in a separate room!

Lesson learnt, hope it helps someone not to have to learn the hard way!! :)

Latest posts

Back