1st customer complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllaX

Reaction score
I did my first customer on thurs (she was a nail biter) i just got of the phone to her now - she's complaining one 'fell off' i told her to pop round and i'd fix it (she'll be here in an hour). i'm scared she'll blame me for it breaking and won't pay for the repair cos sounded like she was blaming me that one 'fell off' when she rung up.
any suggestions as to how to deal with her, cos shes a very fussy woman and im scared if i try and charge her for the repair then she will complain again.

Hi

All i can say is once a nail biter always a nail biter...! I know i am one..lol
As soon as i find any bit of lifting or rough edge im at it..! I can wip a nail off in seconds lol
Have a look at her nails, you will see if she has biten them off as you will see where the nail has come off too. If the nail is smooth and no sign off stress marks then YES they just fell off but im guessing this will not be the case.
Explain to her the you can see where the nail has been ripped off. I do this in a jokie way " i see someones been has a nibble at there nice new nails" some thing like that. But she must pay for the work you do. I tend to see nail biter every week untill they get used to having lovely nails..HTH Vicky x

Hi Rach,,
It depends how you want to play it really.

If ( and it is VERY rare ) that this happens to me then as it has only been two days I would do it free of charge. When the client came and presumably asked how much at the end I would say 'Well as it has only been two days this one is on me but any others would be x amount .

When you are trying to built a business reputation is everything . I look at it this way . Is it really worth getting your knickers in a twist over £3/3.50?
Most of my clients are now regulars but even if I had a new client I would still repair ONE free in the first few days but no longer

It is possible that it is your fault but equally it is possible it is hers . I don't think it really matters. Think of it as good customer service . Good luck with whatever you decide .

Karen
Light Elegance UK
pinkchicnails said:
I did my first customer on thurs (she was a nail biter) i just got of the phone to her now - she's complaining one 'fell off' i told her to pop round and i'd fix it (she'll be here in an hour). i'm scared she'll blame me for it breaking and won't pay for the repair cos sounded like she was blaming me that one 'fell off' when she rung up.
any suggestions as to how to deal with her, cos shes a very fussy woman and im scared if i try and charge her for the repair then she will complain again.

Thanx for the advice! i think i'll go have a look first see if she's bitten it off - she was already biting at em as soon as id finished.

but i been ill all day with cold/flu and dont feel too well and im not in the mood for argueing so i might just say this repairs on me cos ur going out to a party tonight (thats why she had em done) but after this they are x amount for a repair. unless she offers to pay (which i doubt it lol)

thanks again for the advice - much appreciated.

you can tell if there is damage by wiping over nail bed with scrubfresh it will leave the trauma behind.
x

when i got there 2 had come off. she admitted having her hands in water all day washing up without gloves and having the odd nibble - so i did the repairs and she offered to pay me, i said ill do em free this time but u must wear gloves when cleaning etc and no nibbling. she was really grateful and very pleased with em and says she cant wait to show em off at this party tonight - so u never know i might even get another customer from it. shes having a make up party in a few weeks and has agreed to give some of my cards out then aswell so it wasnt as bad as i expected.

Well done Rach..x

thanx, i was absolutely petrified when i went round there cos she sounded mad on the phone, but it turned out ok. xx

Result then hun!

Once you start charging her she will soon learn to stop biting and start respecting.

Big Hugs.
xxx

pinkchicnails said:
when i got there 2 had come off. she admitted having her hands in water all day washing up without gloves and having the odd nibble - so i did the repairs and she offered to pay me, i said ill do em free this time but u must wear gloves when cleaning etc and no nibbling. she was really grateful and very pleased with em and says she cant wait to show em off at this party tonight - so u never know i might even get another customer from it. shes having a make up party in a few weeks and has agreed to give some of my cards out then aswell so it wasnt as bad as i expected.

you ahndled this really well hun, i would have done the same thing, make sure you write this down on her record card incase it becomes a regular thing x

i wrote it down already!! xx

Had a similiar situation. But this client complained after 2 weeks! She was very annoyed that one of her nails had come off after 2 weeks as she thought when she was due for a rebalance they would all still be on. (in an ideal world!) I told her the cost of a new nail and reblance and she screamed down the phone at me! WHAT!! As I was starting out I offered to replace the nail for free, but she never called me back. I saw her last week and she has grotty bitten down nails and says she wants me to put some more nails on her...What should I do-tell her to bog off or do them anyway?

Hi Rach,,

Well done on the way you handled this . :) As I though she offered to pay but in this instance by letting her 'off' you have done lots for your reputation .

She will now be a happy bunny and hopefully take care with them from now on not to mention the fact that she will porbaly only have good things to say about you to all her friends.Think of it as free advertising !!

Karen
Light Elegance UK

Hi Petals,

Why would you want to tell her to bog off?

She is going to pay you for this full set so take the booking BUT be sure to impress upon her the aftercare she needs to take and explain that nail biters need to have the nails as short as possible and should really return weekly untill the nail plate has grown sufficiently for the enhancements to last longer .

Karen
Light Elegance UK

Well done. You handled the situation very professionally. When its your first set, it kind of makes you feel as if its your fault. Charge her in future though....

pinkchicnails said:

nails "just dont fall off" and therefore cant blame you pet (not unless you didnt prep right) - whats the betting when you start talking to her - something will come out that she went out and knocked one of them - plus nail biters are harder as they dont have that much nail to play with - if i were you pet id play it by ear - if you know in your heart that you done everything right - she cant blame you - i done a nail biter 2 weeks ago - and all hers are still intact apart from one - but she did say that she got drunk and fell over and thats how it broke - dont be so hard on yourself pt - it was probs the client that caused this to happen - not you

vicky said:
Hi

All i can say is once a nail biter always a nail biter...! I know i am one..lol

I'm the same Vicky. :lol:
I'm currently typing this with FOUR missing nails :( but I only have myself to blame. Up until last night I was wearing a natural set of almond. I had sculpted my left hand, still new at sculpting, and was chuffed to bits with. Then I opened a bottle of wine and as the evening wore on I started to nibble on the sculpt's, testing how strong they are.

Oh I am sure she will not blame you and if it were me as it was the next day I would do this little job free of charge. It will not take you long and it will look good to your client.

Good luck
Caz xxx

Agree with karen petals. Don't turn her away as word of mouth is an amasign way to get clients and one person who has a bad experience will tell EVERYONE!!!

Be sickly Sweet when you do them, and just stress to her that Aftercare is a must! I tell you something, i was a nail biter, but then found a great nail tech and stopped, this will take time for her to get out of the habit tho, but make sure her nails look the mutss watists when she leaves, as im sure you always do, and she will respect them.

It may be a good idea to make a little sign to go on your desk saying how much you charge for replacements. If this is up for some time then when she does lose one she will be more accepting of having to pay, at the end of the day this is your time and your product. Its not free hun.

HUGS. you will be fine.

XXX

perfect10kb said:
Hi Petals,

Why would you want to tell her to bog off?

She is going to pay you for this full set so take the booking BUT be sure to impress upon her the aftercare she needs to take and explain that nail biters need to have the nails as short as possible and should really return weekly untill the nail plate has grown sufficiently for the enhancements to last longer .

Karen
Light Elegance UK

Latest posts

Back