2 ?'s : "Silk" powder nails & Acrylic is carcinogenic??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
I was at the makeup counter at the local pharmacy, getting my refills for my makeup (CoverFX, that stuff ROCKS, won't touch anything else!!)

Anyway... I noticed the esthetician's nails and thought I'd try to solicit her. BUT she does her own nails and said that they are "Resine et Poudre a Soie" meaning Resin and Silk POWDER?????? I asked are you sure it's not Acrylic powder? I've never heard of such a thing, and was concerned she was being scammed. She says she trained in it years ago, and yes, it's definately "Silk powder" and that she's allergic to Acrylic.
I'm inclined to disbelieve it's Silk powder, and am leaning towards thinking she has been scammed. Gave her my card and asked her to get back to me, I said I'd love an MSDS and that I'd be interested in learning this sytem.

The other thing she said is that she is anti-Acrylic because it's a carcinogenic.
I would LOVE written material to share with her to prove there's no danger.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

THANKS!!

I have heard of this silk nail system before you cover it in most level 3 nail courses
Have you tried typing what ever that other language was into google!

not perhaps a silk wrap with an overlay of resin and powder?. that would make sense, but never heard of powdered silk.
though you do hear of silk protein in cosmetics such as shampoos so maybe there is a possibility of such a product existing.

It was 'french' LOL.

She insisted there was no silk wrap; just an application of resin, then dipped into 'silk powder'.

I've googled every which way I can.
I found an add on kijiji for a nail tech about 1hr's drive away from me, she claims that this is the company from which she gets "silk powder"
Contact

I contacted them, and requested information in this regard, including an MSDS for 'silk powder'.

I'm inclined to think that this tech is scamming though, because she was VERY VERY reluctant to share any information AND it was like pulling teeth to get the information.

The carcinogenic thing is silly and unfounded. The rest? Well, it may be silk or another fibre, or simply a polymer powder (o no! thats 'acrylic'!) or blend of all the above. Really no different than any other tip and dip approach. Essentially a wrap system (resin + filler to give some level of strength to an otherwise weak system). O wait, that resin is actually cyanoacrylate... acrylic!

Concept is as old as the hills. Works fine for many types of nails, but lacks solvent resistance, colour stability and longevity.

Yup, knew about the resin.

As for the "silk" powder, it's unlikely that it's silk alone? Have I understood correctly? There must be a polymer or something added, right?

So in essence, the woman HAS been mislead (as I thought) and been ripped off in the sense she's paying for something that's NOT what she's been lead to believe.
Correct?

THANKS!

I was at the makeup counter at the local pharmacy, getting my refills for my makeup (CoverFX, that stuff ROCKS, won't touch anything else!!)

Anyway... I noticed the esthetician's nails and thought I'd try to solicit her. BUT she does her own nails and said that they are "Resine et Poudre a Soie" meaning Resin and Silk POWDER?????? I asked are you sure it's not Acrylic powder? I've never heard of such a thing, and was concerned she was being scammed. She says she trained in it years ago, and yes, it's definately "Silk powder" and that she's allergic to Acrylic.
I'm inclined to disbelieve it's Silk powder, and am leaning towards thinking she has been scammed. Gave her my card and asked her to get back to me, I said I'd love an MSDS and that I'd be interested in learning this sytem.

The other thing she said is that she is anti-Acrylic because it's a carcinogenic.
I would LOVE written material to share with her to prove there's no danger.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

THANKS!!

Victoria, check out the Ongles D'or website - I believe they have resin powders. That's a tough site for me to read because it is totally in french.

Yup, knew about the resin.

As for the "silk" powder, it's unlikely that it's silk alone? Have I understood correctly? There must be a polymer or something added, right?

So in essence, the woman HAS been mislead (as I thought) and been ripped off in the sense she's paying for something that's NOT what she's been lead to believe.
Correct?

THANKS!

As Samuel said, even adhesive is acrylic cynoacrylate. Of course she has been mislead. Knowledege is POWER.

Latest posts

Back