A little business advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martincath

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a beauty therapist currently working 40 hours a week in a salon 20 miles from my hometown. I have worked in the salon for over a year now and done anything that is asked of me always to the best of my ability. The issue is that since I have started, my pay has stayed the same and to be honest it is not enough for a fully qualified beautician who has been on multiple training courses as well.

So I need some advice! Would it be rude of me to start my own Facebook page and begin doing some treatments from home in the evenings? I have the equipment. Although I am not signed up to any contracts stating I cannot practice out of work, I am afraid my boss might take it the wrong way. Any help greatly appreciated!

As you have been there over a year your employer should give you an annual appraisal. Following a good appraisal you can then start a discussion on a pay rise.

I would try this route first before starting up at home. Start by asking when your appraisal will take place.

If you were my employee and I found out you were working from home, you'd be sacked immediately for gross misconduct. Whether you have a written contract or not, there is an implied contract in place, given you have been there so long. Asking for a review and trying to work with your boss, rather than going behind her back, is definitely the better option.

I worked in a salon as a beautician and nail technician for 5 years , I had no contract of employment , I did also work mobile but was 8 mile away from the salon I never treated the salon clients outside of work I built up a separate clientele and I told my manager what I was doing , it was fine she new I wouldn't poach salon clients , x

Hi,
I am a beauty therapist currently working 40 hours a week in a salon 20 miles from my hometown. I have worked in the salon for over a year now and done anything that is asked of me always to the best of my ability. The issue is that since I have started, my pay has stayed the same and to be honest it is not enough for a fully qualified beautician who has been on multiple training courses as well.

So I need some advice! Would it be rude of me to start my own Facebook page and begin doing some treatments from home in the evenings? I have the equipment. Although I am not signed up to any contracts stating I cannot practice out of work, I am afraid my boss might take it the wrong way. Any help greatly appreciated!
Do you really want to start working more hours at home on top of your 40hours that you are already doing? Also think about the impact on your family/social life because you will be working lots of evenings etc. If you work from your own home, you will need a proper set up away from partner/ kids/ pets etc. Its hard on top of a full time job. I personally wouldn't want to get into that unless absolutely necessary, so asking for an appraisal as CFBS said sounds like a good start.

If you were my employee and I found out you were working from home, you'd be sacked immediately for gross misconduct. Whether you have a written contract or not, there is an implied contract in place, given you have been there so long. Asking for a review and trying to work with your boss, rather than going behind her back, is definitely the better option.

You'd be successfully sued if you sacked someone for gross misconduct on that basis.

You'd be successfully sued if you sacked someone for gross misconduct on that basis.
No - the salon owner could successfully argue that the OP is in breach of implied duty of fidelity, if she finds she is working elsewhere, as this obligation is implied whether there is a written contract or not.

Quote a legal precedent that confirms this, then I'll believe you. ;)

Unfortunately, I think you're confusing hairdressing with other Industries that pay considerably more and operate quite differently.

It's difficult enough for salon owners to enforce a written contract that has a clear restraint of trade clause as it has to be proved that it's reasonable and doesn't deprive the ex-employee of a living. There's no way a court would accept your argument if the employee is living on or near NMW and there's nothing explicitly stating this written in the contract.

Last edited:
Before you start thinking of taking on extra work outside the salon, just ask your employer for a meeting, explain that you are struggling a bit financially and ask for a rise. They might be oblivious to how you are feeling and obviously once they know, can either say yes or no. Be prepared to answer why you feel you deserve a rise and maybe suggest a commission if you aren't getting one already. If you feel you are doing a good job with returning clients and regularly making more than double your wage then I don't think you have anything to lose as they won't want to risk losing a good employee to another salon. Maybe even ask for extra responsibilities? They might need a bit of time to think about it but if they say no, explain that you have been approached to do some mobile treatments in your hometown and can't afford to turn it down. As you live quite far away, I don't think it would be an issue but it's polite to let them know that's what you are planning.
Always better to be upfront about everything then do things sneakily and I bet after the chat, they will agree to give you a pay rise. Also, NMW goes up in April so they might be planning to do it then anyway.

What about just doing it from home fulltime. Save your self the traveling and make more money.

Latest posts

Back