Access requirements to beauty room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi,

I am just starting to put together a beauty room in our spare bedroom but it has got me thinking about accessibility and reasonable adjustments.

My house has a set of wide steps down to it then of course, stairs up to the bedroom. I am planning on keeping all internal doors closed and greet clients at the door and take them straight up.

My concern is what do I need to do legally around have the steps and stairs? Do I need to inform all clients of this then if they cannot manage due to a disability what can I do? I thought in that case I could offer to go to them but then this could incur additional costs for me but there isn't any thing else I could reasonably do to change the access to my property.

Any advice is appreciated.

You could put hand rails wherever you have steps. I think this is all you would need to do (others may know more details)

I would put the fact that you have stairs up to the treatment room on your website & fb page next to details about where clients can park. That way you have informed clients but not made a big issue of it. After all, there are lots of high street salons where they are above a hair salon or shop.

Presumably if the client can manage the outside steps they will be able to get upstairs?

I personally wouldn't start offering home visits if you are looking to develop a home based salon. Can become too much faff in the future. You can't win them all!

Latest posts

Back