Acrylic nails lifting-help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckyjones

Reaction score
Hi, I am qualified I'm acrylic nail extensions and I am happy with how a full set turns out. However I seem to always get lifting from around the cuticle area so the nails just don't last ! Has anyone got any advice on what might be going wrong ? I prep the nails by pushing back cuticles and etching nail with a file then dehydrate and prime the nail before application ?! I have attached a photo of the worst lifting I have had this is less that 2 weeks after application!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    726.6 KB · Views: 212
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    726.6 KB · Views: 135
Are you removing the cuticle from the nail plate after pushing back?
Watch this video...

Think your drilling or filing them to thin so they are cracking. Try thining them just around the cuticle area to prevent lifting. Obviously make sure rest of nail is smooth .

I think the video above needs to be watched, I recommend it to everyone. Looking at your picture it doesn't look like there's been any cuticle removal at all as there's lifting throughout the whole application and pretty much only held on by the tip glue.

Which brand of products are you using?

I think the video above needs to be watched, I recommend it to everyone. Looking at your picture it doesn't look like there's been any cuticle removal at all as there's lifting throughout the whole application and pretty much only held on by the tip glue.

Which brand of products are you using?
Hi Emily , I push back the cuticle then etch the nail, what other step do I need to do as I thought the etching would remove the cuticle. I use the acrylic liquid and powder from Sally's as well as the primer from there and millennium nail prep, thanks

Are you removing the cuticle from the nail plate after pushing back?
Watch this video...

I push back the cuticle then etch the nail, I thought that this would remove the cuticle from the nail. Am I missing a step out ? If so what do you reccomend? Thanks

Have you watched the video?

What grit file are you using to etc the nail?

I don't think that brand of acrylic will be giving the best results, who did you train with?

Have you watched the video?

What grit file are you using to etc the nail?

I don't think that brand of acrylic will be giving the best results, who did you train with?
I went on a one day course with top talens, I have tried other brands and still have the same problem. I use a white buffing block to etch the nail. Yes I have watched the video and will give it a try, fingers crossed.

I went on a one day course with top talens, I have tried other brands and still have the same problem. I use a white buffing block to etch the nail. Yes I have watched the video and will give it a try, fingers crossed.
A one day course really isn't enough, I'm afraid. Hope the video helps a little but I'd maybe try looking at other product brands and further training x

A one day course really isn't enough, I'm afraid. Hope the video helps a little but I'd maybe try looking at other product brands and further training x
I only do nails on myself and family so I don't really want to pay out again for further training I think I just need to practise a little more. Could you tell me the steps that I should do from the beginning? Thanks for your help x

I only do nails on myself and family so I don't really want to pay out again for further training I think I just need to practise a little more. Could you tell me the steps that I should do from the beginning? Thanks for your help x
As is shown in the video
Wash hands
Etch nail with a file no less than 240 grit
Apply tips
Dehydrate nails
Prime if your brand needs it
Apply acrylic
File to shape.

I think your filing around the cuticle too thin.

I'm have to agree. This is not an easy task to master and certainly not in one day. I attended college for 13 evenings for this course and still had lots of practice and learning to do afterwards.
I'm not really sure what you could learn in one day

Last edited:

Practicing is great. But you need to learn properly first to then be able to practice. If you pick up bad habits now it will stay with you. I would say a one day course is insufficient for liquid and powder- and it shows. You need help. Doesn't that tell u a lot?

Oh heck, I'm sorry to say that I agree with the ladies. There is no way on earth I could have mastered acrylics in one day.

I went into my course with the mindset that acrylics last forever and are hassle free but I was so wrong. There is a real art to every step of applying acrylic - from the thorough prep, the liquid to powder ratio, the application, brush angle, thickness of applied product, finishing, etc etc.

Even after my six week CND course finished, I still felt short of the expertise level I needed to work on paying clients. Thankfully I have a band of willing Guinea pigs who are helping me iron out the kinks and gaining confidence. I also have an amazing CND EA who has been on hand to answer all my post course questions.

Please don't think me harsh but I do think you might have wasted your money on a one day course and in order to start correctly, with no bad habits, you need a really well respected course.

I agree i did a one day acrylic course and it was no where near enough! I ended up retraining with Cnd! X

I'm the same except I did 2 days, acrylic, gel, silk and fibreglass. Came away clueless. Now saving to do CND!

I agree i did a one day acrylic course and it was no where near enough! I ended up retraining with Cnd! X
What do I do about getting on to a course like this ? How much does it cost and is it possible to do whilst working full time etc ? Thanks x

Oh heck, I'm sorry to say that I agree with the ladies. There is no way on earth I could have mastered acrylics in one day.

I went into my course with the mindset that acrylics last forever and are hassle free but I was so wrong. There is a real art to every step of applying acrylic - from the thorough prep, the liquid to powder ratio, the application, brush angle, thickness of applied product, finishing, etc etc.

Even after my six week CND course finished, I still felt short of the expertise level I needed to work on paying clients. Thankfully I have a band of willing Guinea pigs who are helping me iron out the kinks and gaining confidence. I also have an amazing CND EA who has been on hand to answer all my post course questions.

Please don't think me harsh but I do think you might have wasted your money on a one day course and in order to start correctly, with no bad habits, you need a really well respected course.
What do I do about getting on to a course like this ? How much does it cost and is it possible to do whilst working full time etc ? Thanks x

You need to call sweet squared and ask them about training courses near you, price etc. I believe you can do this whilst working as I had many who were working full time on my courses. It's worth every penny.

Latest posts

Back