Acrylic starter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jopanni

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have just completed my acrylic course and want to start ASAP as need lots of practice - it's much harder than it looks. I'm looking for a starter kit, could anyone suggest any and which make to use here's my first set of both French and natural I need to buy tips also

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 43
Where did you train and what products have you been using?

I assume it has been at a College, I am always amazed that no information is given to you about how and where to source your products once qualified and about any further training you could do.

If I were you I would do your research (you've already started that by starting this thread) and find out about all the main L&P systems and which would suit you best.
CND, NSI, Young Nails, are the first 3 that come to my mind.
Find out who the authorised distributor is for what ever brand you want and check out their website and see what they offer in the way of education and support, and if they offer education in your area.
I know you have just finished your training, but I would still advise you to do a Conversion Course with whatever brand you choose, to learn how to use their products to get the best out of them.

I mainly used CND when I did L&P acrylic enhancements, and their Retention+ System is still the best I have ever used. The Centre in Edinburgh is the Scottish partner of Sweet Squared and you can contact them for any information you would need or check out their website.

Don't always be swayed by price, as when you break it down to work out the per service what seems the more expensive product may only be a couple of pence more per set of nails! A good premium product makes your job easier, trust me!

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Well, you're off to a great start compared to where I was when I started! The exciting thing is that with the right practice, patience and guidance, your work will only get better. So save this pic as a "benchmark" for what you do next!

There are 3 things to focus on that will greatly help:

Design.
The apex (the thickest point) is too far toward the free edge and is too much of a point. The apex should be gradual and 50% of the way between the free edge line and the cuticle line. Take a Sharpie (marker) and put a point there, then put another half way between that point and the cuticle line and another between the half way point and the free edge line (effectively splitting the nail into thirds). Those 3 dots form your apex area (Zone 2).

Smile lines
Smile line is really just down to product control which comes with confidence and the right amount of practice. Here is a tutorial I did about 150 years ago that may help: http://www.salongeek.com/threads/million-dollar-smiles.2734/

Product control and finishing
When you lack full control of your product (which again, comes from confidence and practice) you create a lot more work with finishing. More work finishing weakens your enhancement which creates more work when rebalancing and maintaining the nail. This is why you want to "Sculpt with your brush and not with your file". Here is a great (classic) tutorial on product control and one for finishing.

Finally, @izzidoll offers her usual sage advice and agree 100% with her!

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Well, you're off to a great start compared to where I was when I started! The exciting thing is that with the right practice, patience and guidance, your work will only get better. So save this pic as a "benchmark" for what you do next!

There are 3 things to focus on that will greatly help:

Design.
The apex (the thickest point) is too far toward the free edge and is too much of a point. The apex should be gradual and 50% of the way between the free edge line and the cuticle line. Take a Sharpie (marker) and put a point there, then put another half way between that point and the cuticle line and another between the half way point and the free edge line (effectively splitting the nail into thirds). Those 3 dots form your apex area (Zone 2).

Smile lines
Smile line is really just down to product control which comes with confidence and the right amount of practice. Here is a tutorial I did about 150 years ago that may help: http://www.salongeek.com/threads/million-dollar-smiles.2734/

Product control and finishing
When you lack full control of your product (which again, comes from confidence and practice) you create a lot more work with finishing. More work finishing weakens your enhancement which creates more work when rebalancing and maintaining the nail. This is why you want to "Sculpt with your brush and not with your file". Here is a great (classic) tutorial on product control and one for finishing.

Finally, @izzidoll offers her usual sage advice and agree 100% with her!

Hope this helps. Best of luck!
As always superb advice. Thanks folks

I didn't train at college as I work full time. I have had independent training, however I really do like the idea of the convention course and this is something I will be looking into

Appreciate all advice

Latest posts

Back