Advice about a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma Little

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 22 and worked in a salon in my hometown.

I started working to gain confidence and experience in a salon.

The salon is run by a mother with 30 years experience and a daughter who qualified in hairdressing Level 3.

I'm qualified in Level 2 Beauty Therapy and was the only Therapist that worked there so was working on my own pretty much.

There was a lady who rented the bed out that came in and she's only qualified in aromatherapy.

My duties included: beauty treatments (only basic), answering phone, taking bookings, washing hair, getting lunch/costa for the mother and daughter.

My hours varied working Wednesday till Saturdays but most days I would work 9-5, 10-5 and 9-3.

My pay was £10 a day.

I've witnessed arguments between mother and daughter.

I had two weeks for the easter holidays because they decided to let the daughters friend of 10 years come In for work experience which I was fine with.

Got back after two weeks and the daughter had decided in front me to tell her clients how amazing and passionate she was about being a hairdresser and that she could to an apprentice.

The salon isn't big and I knew I would have to leave so the apprentice could start.

Everyday since then I could hear the mother and daughter talking about the apprentice and I felt like they was talking to me.

Came to the end of June this year and was told that the £40 I was earning she couldn't financially support me because of the apprentice starting. So i left on July 22nd without a job.

The aromatherapist is doing beauty treatments without being qualified and last night posted that was going to start working there for three days a week and is a 'natural beauty Therapist' which don't get what that means.

I'm feeling very hurt and betrayed.

I've been telling people it was work experience. Could I complain about the salon?

Why?
How will complaining about them, benefit you?
Maybe a short term sense of karma but the quicker you can accept and then let go of your hurt feelings, the quicker you can heal and move on.

You're no longer being exploited by them so, dust yourself down and look to your future.

If she's not qualified their insurance will be void - you could complain yes absolutely but I think you should move on and make money on your own! £10 a day ! Come on!!! You could be making that and more an hour on your own!

Good luck!

£10 a day oh my days your boss was on to a good thing wasn't she. I hate slave labour

£10 a day? Isn't that illegal?

My goodness! Sounds like you are better off out of it. I doubt complaining about the salon will get you anywhere as I'm guessing there was no formal contract & I would advise not talking about them to future clients as it may reflect badly on you (even though it's not your fault). Look at it as work experience and move onward and upward.
The other therapist should not be performing treatments she is not qualified in, but that is their issue.
I hope you find a new salon to work in soon, just make sure you have a proper contract and are being paid at least minimum wage. Good luck x

If she's not qualified their insurance will be void - you could complain yes absolutely but I think you should move on and make money on your own! £10 a day ! Come on!!! You could be making that and more an hour on your own!

Good luck!

My goodness! Sounds like you are better off out of it. I doubt complaining about the salon will get you anywhere as I'm guessing there was no formal contract & I would advise not talking about them to future clients as it may reflect badly on you (even though it's not your fault). Look at it as work experience and move onward and upward.
The other therapist should not be performing treatments she is not qualified in, but that is their issue.
I hope you find a new salon to work in soon, just make sure you have a proper contract and are being paid at least minimum wage. Good luck x

I get that complaining about the salon won't benefit me at all which will not be my aim, I just feel like I need to do something because they will continue employing people like me and not paying them correctly another thingi would like to add on there Facebook page we had a 'team' photo when I was working there and they put it as there cover photo but it's still up there and I left in july and they have been very active on the page and it will be miss leading clients. Unfortunately I can't find anymore work on a salon and as a result to that I'm currently claim benefits and feeling very depressed and low right now.

Sorry that you have been unable to find anything else, I see your point that they may exploit some one else. You may be able to report them to HMRC for not paying minimum wage? How were they paying you? Did you get a P45 when you left? I'm guessing they probably didn't officially enrole you as an employee on such low pay. It may be worth asking citizens advice they would know more than me about what you can do.

ACAS would probably help too. I haven't used them but they always get recommended to me when I've had problems in the past. CAB would probably be a good start too x

Try Indeed there's dozens of jobs local to you and if you want help with your C.V. let me know and I will have a look at it for you. Don't let this bad experience get to you. Some employers shouldn't be allowed to deal with a goldfish let alone humans.

Dust yourself off and get going. You meet all sorts of moronic people, the best compliment I ever had was an insult, at a company Christmas party a (cocaine addicted) spa owner once told me that my biggest fault as a spa director was that the staff weren't scared of me, I simply replied with a smile "why thank you," walked out of his VIP lounge where his wealthy cronies were fawning over my girls, sat next to a stunning man in a kilt and drank whiskies on my bosses account. Needless to say I found a another job where I didn't have to put up with quite so much bullshit.

Get your C.V. sharpened up, buy a nice interview suit, paint on a smile and you'll get there. Good luck x

Sorry that you have been unable to find anything else, I see your point that they may exploit some one else. You may be able to report them to HMRC for not paying minimum wage? How were they paying you? Did you get a P45 when you left? I'm guessing they probably didn't officially enrole you as an employee on such low pay. It may be worth asking citizens advice they would know more than me about what you can do.
It was cash in hand no paper work or anything like that.

Somebody that rented a chair at the salon and would come in occasionally. She's qualified in massages and manicures ado gel posh. Now she's been employed as a 'natural beauty Therapist' what ever that is. Before I left my boss wanted me to stay one day to show her how to do waxing??!! Like eyebrows!

Latest posts

Back