Advice about covering greys with highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen100

Reaction score
Hello. I have shoulder length dark blonde hair which is highlighted every 6 weeks. I am getting grey hairs showing mostly at the sides of my face and the highlights only cover them for a few days when the highlights are freshly done. I use Aussie Colour Mate shampoo and Miracle conditioner btw. I am getting fed up as the highlights cost a lot and I cant put my hair up without greys (or whites really) showing. My hairdresser says highlights wont cover grey. She uses a bleach and a darker blonder. I asked her not to leave a gap of undyed hair at the sides in between the foils to try to cover the greys but she refused saying it would look blocky? Her suggestion is to have an all over tint with a few highlights afterwards to break it up. As I only have the greys at the side and few on top that I can pull out I dont want to do that yet. Are there highlights which cover up grey for longer? I would appreciate some advice as I am not convinced by what she is saying. Its getting me down that I spend so much money and I see grey hairs within a few days.

Bleach strips colour. Bleach does not wash out and the original colour comes back, once it's stripped its stripped.

Is your hairdresser using bleach in the sides or just the darker blonde?

She can leave a gap between foils yes. Depending on how big of a gap she uses it won't look "blocky " if your Grey is coming through white. There is no need to bleach those sides. Just add the colour.

I can't give you technical advice as against forum rules. I suggest you go to a different salon for a free consultation, it seems to me your current stylist isn't big on colouring. You can cover Grey and it will hold. It doesn't sound like she's using the correct colour formula

Go get a second opinion lovely. The whole idea of having colour is not to have it wash out in the next shampoo x

This sounds odd. Your greys should not notice after 'a few days'. My approach would be to give you a full head of foils with a colour in between that's similar to your natural dark blonde. Then every 6 weeks use the same colour to do your regrowth and every 12 weeks put some more foils in and the colour in between. I have a large salon with many many clients having such colour and it NEVER looks 'blocky'. How experienced is your hairdresser?

Thank you for taking the time to reply. My hairdresser is the most senior one at the salon lol. It doesnt say much does it! I will definitely go elsewhere for a second opinion. I have noticed that I have large roots when I only had it done a few weeks ago. It seems to fade quickly although I use colour protect shampoo. I really appreciate you both helping me thanks :)

Can I also suggest that you swap shampoo for a pro brand? Joico, Kerastase, Pureology etc.

Brands like Aussie contain fairly harsh (cheaper) detergents than the better quality pro brands available from good salons. That's one reason why it's much cheaper to buy.

(I don't consider the hairdresser branded bottles sold in Boots as a Pro brand as these are all the same cheapy Procter and Gamble rubbish.)

I think I get what your hairdresser is saying.......
If your asking her to cover the sides COMPLETELY, i.e, not weave out, it will look 'blocky', against a head of highlights.
Bleach REMOVES pigment, tint adds.
I think what you are seeing, is the hair between...that is as it should be with weaved lights.
If you do not want to see ANY white/grey hair, have the whole head tinted, with added highlights.
Do expect however, a more obvious regrowth.
Your own hair continues to grow, and a regrowth will become obvious the further away from your natural colour you go.
Generally speaking, Highlights are lower maintenance, than a full colour, which is why we recommend this method, as a full tint will need a redo at 4 weekly intervals.:)
It all depends on the level of maintenance your up for!

Latest posts

Back