Advice for an older career changer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverclarity

Reaction score
Great to find this site.
I used to be a press photographer, then a PA.

Made redundant twice as photographer so decided to retrain in another creative industry; hair.

In 2015 I qualified as a barber but found no one would give me a chance, so this year I'm training in hairdressing (both level 2) to broaden my skills. I finish this June.

What is the next step? I'm 51 and on my own so I need to make a living. I do know that the pay is poor initially but I'm thinking of getting another job.

Not sure how to get experience as don't want to be an apprentice as I already have the qualification. What is the usual route once qualified? Are trainee roles advertised?

Although it is illegal to discriminate against age, it definitely happens, in fact my old hairdresser told me he would not take me on due to my age, and I answered an ad in a salon window but the boy inside would not even give me an application form!

Any advice greatly appreciated. Whoever hired me would be getting a professional photographer too. Now that can't be bad. I live in Cambridgeshire but want to move back to Norfolk.

I'm finding colouring fascinating but a very complex area. So glad to have found this site.

Latest posts

Back