Advice for my own nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameo Val

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a product that will strengthen my own nails. I have tried the Nail Eat stuff but it has not shown any signs of improving them like it does on the telly.

I have worn acrylics/gels for a while now but have decided to go natural about 2 months ago. My natural nails were so thin even before I ever started wearing extentions, and they are exactly the same now. Its not wearing the extentions which have weakened them, they have always been like that. I would just love to be able to grow them, even to the end of my fingers, but as soon as I get any length on them at all, they start to bend and they soon after they break.

Have any of you had the same problem, and if so what have you used that improves the situation.

Many thanks
Val

Hiya Val...
I tried the nail eat and drink stuff too and found you needed a degree really to work out how your nails were and which product (eat or drink) was appropriate at that particular time. Too fiddly for my liking and hence, probably the poor results from it.
I had some terrible damage from a NSS. (all in the cause of research you must understand!!!)
I lovingly nurtured my nails every opportunity with solar oil and had brilliant results. Morning Noon and Night and every chance inbetween!
I have also used Nail Envy from OPI which I have, in my experience found to be really helpful.

Hi Val,

My nails are the same, and to be honest I give in , and permaenetly have some kind of overlay on my natural nail (even if it's a thin layer of gel) it stops them bending all over the bloomin place. Also, I've got used to having strong nails from wearing enahncements for so long, and can't get used to the feel of having them exposed!

Otherwise I would try solar oil (as above) and toughen up? I haven't usd it on myself, but sell it in the salon and a few clients I've sold it too have been pleased with the results.

HTH
x

Hi Val,

How about a fabric wrap over your natural nails. I am prone to thinning my nails when filing clients' nails and so put wraps on which still retain the natural look but give that extra strength when needed. I am sure wraps would be ideal for you!

Hey Guys, I am the very same - I removed my L&P enhancements last night and I am shocked by the state of my natural nails underneath - but funnyily enough the hand thats affected most is my right (I'm right handed) maybe I am doing something wrong as my hand is not that strong on the left?? Also I noticed my nails are really weak and flaky and two of them look like they are separating from the nail bed - the little finger looks like a free edge half way down the nail bed? has anyone ever seen this and can I do anything about it? Its worrying me - I want to go natural for a bit but am tempted to put enhancements straight back on!!! Thanks

My nails are exactly the same i was advised to try Nail envy which works very well for friend but didnt for me but i got on really well with Prostrong and that was the first tiem i managed to grow my nails to any decent length, but they were still prone to breaking due to being not as strong as an enhancement, so tend to keep an overlay on mine now.
HTH

valburt said:
Does anyone know of a product that will strengthen my own nails. I have tried the Nail Eat stuff but it has not shown any signs of improving them like it does on the telly.

I have worn acrylics/gels for a while now but have decided to go natural about 2 months ago. My natural nails were so thin even before I ever started wearing extentions, and they are exactly the same now. Its not wearing the extentions which have weakened them, they have always been like that. I would just love to be able to grow them, even to the end of my fingers, but as soon as I get any length on them at all, they start to bend and they soon after they break.

Have any of you had the same problem, and if so what have you used that improves the situation.

Many thanks
Val

Hi Val

Yes I have felt my nails felt slightly vunerable so I used some 'Toughen Up' and a good Cuticle Oil then 2 weeks later I felt better about the condition of my nails and returned to wearing wraps instead of L&P for a change.

;) A nice moisture pack three or four times a week.
[ CND Cuticle eraser and solar oil massaged into cuticles
A File n tidy].
Solar oil recommended daily as needed.
Cleanse the Nail plate n apply Toughen up.
Keep them filed short at first n allow to grow a bit.
Change your toughen up once twice a week.
Some nice frgrance from the Scensations range is a Great Body Moisturizer as well as smelling great tooo! mmmmm.......
Hope this helps if you dont want to coat them for a while
xxooxxjnail OZ xxooxx:idea:

Girls does anyone know what causes the seperation???

When my nails are like this I follow a simple care plan...

1. I Keep them short (even as they begin to grow, until all damage has grown out), and file away any ragged and uneven edges with a gentle natural nail file, in a see saw action - back and to.

2. Remove cuticles once every 1/2 weeks

3. Massage whole nail (inc sidewalls/cuticle area/nail bed) with Solar Oil 2/3 times a day.

4. ALWAYS wear a coat of Toughen Up, followed by a coat of varnish - clear usually for me!

5. Handcream as much as possible...

Grainneh said:
Hey Guys, I am the very same - I removed my L&P enhancements last night and I am shocked by the state of my natural nails underneath - but funnyily enough the hand thats affected most is my right (I'm right handed) maybe I am doing something wrong as my hand is not that strong on the left?? Also I noticed my nails are really weak and flaky and two of them look like they are separating from the nail bed - the little finger looks like a free edge half way down the nail bed? has anyone ever seen this and can I do anything about it? Its worrying me - I want to go natural for a bit but am tempted to put enhancements straight back on!!! Thanks
If you're right handed then you'll find as do most of us that working with your left hand to do enhancements can be very tricky and the pressure applied when filing is sometimes difficult to control. This will lead to thinning of the nail plate and if we're too energetic and buff accross the enhancement then it can lead to nail separation from the bed. (the nail sits on a bed of vertical grooves and rough handling across can make it start lifting)

I do have the same prob with my little fingers sometimes and I think it could be as a result of what I've just explained.... and maybe yours could also..??

HTH

If your nails are naturally thin then sadly this is what mother nature gave you and it's what you'll always have. It's all down to the length of your matrix! The longer the matrix the thicker the natural nail. Regular manicures can however strengthen them. I did an experiment last year for 3 months in which I used Nail Envy exactly as it said on the bottle, used cuticle oil every day, and manicures once a week to see if it would make a difference .... and it did. My nails had never been so tough, nice and strong with enough flex in them that they rarely broke.
Another great product is one that contains diamond dust, LCN do one called diamond base, and I know various other makes do the same thing too. It does not strengthen the nail, but the diamond dust fortifies it so that they appear much tougher and don't bend as much.
Also, make sure you use the right strengthener for your nail type. If they are soft and bendy then using one for brittle nails will make them even worse. It's the same principle as hair, a shampoo for dry hair will make greasy hair even worse. And in general the condition of your nails will get worse before they get better, another analogy is when you have a facial you tend to be prone to spots for a while as the impurities are made to come to the surface.

Fo details on Onycholysis, (the separation) read http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=2642 and it'll answer all your queries!!!!!!!!!!!

HTH

I have just been reading everyones answers/replies and I have found them all very interesting.

I have been wearing nail polish on my toes over the Christmas/New Year period and have taken the polish off to find some of the toe nails have separated from the nail beds. Now this has happened for the 3rd time [in about the last 12 months or so] and I have only used OPI nail polish. I thought it might be some of the ingredients in the OPI polish but I could be wrong.

The last time this happened, the result was not as pronounced as this time. On both feet, it is the 2nd and 4th toes and a little on each side of the large toe at the cuticle edge. The other thing I have found is whenever I remove the nail polish, it leaves a light discolouration on top of the nail as though it is some sort of residue. I use a 240 grit to smooth this out and sometimes it is removed, and sometimes it is smoothed out but there is still some discolouration that eventually grows out. :cry:

Now I am wondering if this is something to do with older age [just 50] or is it the brand of polish and I may be 'allergic' or have a reaction to the ingredients. I have read recently that some people have commented on other sites that aome of the ingredients in OPI are not very good for the environment. I really dont like the idea of going without nail polish on the toes as it really looks lovely when wearing sandals and I live in a warm area [Brisbane, Australia].

The only thing I have not yet tried, and maybe this will be my answer, is to wear gel on the toes before I apply any polish. At least I will be assured of removing it easily and it will have a smooth look to it. I have no idea what is causing it but have recently taken to using cuticle oil on my toes as well as my finger nails.

anyone have any ideas about this that could throw some light onto it??

Love reading everyones comments. Keep up the good work.

Chris

To prevent discolouration you should always wear a good base coat before applying your polish. As for the separation unless you've damaged the nails in some way im not really sure why this has happened. You mentioned that you file them to remove the staining - perhaps you are filing too much? I do have one toe nail which seperates occasionally - it always grows back, but I think the reason for this is that i have atheletes foot in between my two toes (gross i know - I apologise!) and when it flares up, it seems to "eat away" under my nail.....eeuuuwww!

Also - (I could be wrong here - but someone correct me if I am) even if you were allergic to OPI polish - which is doubtful (if you're allergic to OPI you would probably be allergic to other aswell) you would ONLY have a reaction if it touched your skin. Your nail plates are DEAD so therefore cannot react - they can only be damaged and cause problems with your nail beds...(I think?!)

Hi, my friend has nails like that, she uses teflon tuff and has shown some inprovment, also the solar oil.
Buffy

Chrissy Castle said:
I have been wearing nail polish on my toes over the Christmas/New Year period and have taken the polish off to find some of the toe nails have separated from the nail beds.

Chrissy - this happens to me every Christmas! I have too much to drink at the Christmas Do and don't realise how much my feet hurt when dancing in high heels ....... until the next day........ and the damage it does to my toe nails is unreal and takes months to recover!! Not trying to cast any aspersion here, but it's just a thought!! ie could it be your footwear causing a prob?

Latest posts

Back