Advice needed on business and training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerrylou68

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this but need some advice. I have decided to retrain in beauty after 20 yrs in senior management and had enough of dreaming of owning my own business. I have a lot of experience in my career in marketing and businessmanagement. I have the opportunity to buy a local beauticians with 2 very experienced staff . The current owner doesn't market or push the business and I can see the potential in the business as there is a great client base which is more 30+ yrs rather than very young . with new products and services and events etc and some retail turnover I really think it could be a great business. This now brings me to my lack of training. I have training planned and thought whilst I am developing myself the existing staff would be able to continue to support the business whilst I worked in it full time developing my experience whilst using my business skills to develope the business further. I know this will take time but am I mad to think I can go into the industry at 40 given my lack of experience..........sorry I have gone on a bit but wanted to explain my dilemma.

I have zero experience of this, so I can't help at all But I just wanted to say that I don't think it's ever too late to make a change and do something that makes you happy. 40 is no age at all, in my opinion. You still have a lot of working years left - you might as well spend themdojng something that makes you happy. Otherwise, you'll always wonder "what if?", right?

Good luck!

After being stuck in retail customer service since I left school at 17, I've recently decided to retrain in beauty therapy. As I have bills and kids etc. going to do a full time college course and leaving my current job wasn't an option, so I'm doing it bit by bit (with help from my Individual learning account - in Scotland you get £200 a year towards training if you earn less than £22kPA). Started with a Bridal & Evening makeup course in the evenings at college, moved onto manicure and gel overlay courses in my local beauty school and I'll be going back there next month for an advanced facials course and planning to do an eyebrow sculpting course too. I'll be 40 in May xx

I have zero experience of this, so I can't help at all But I just wanted to say that I don't think it's ever too late to make a change and do something that makes you happy. 40 is no age at all, in my opinion. You still have a lot of working years left - you might as well spend themdojng something that makes you happy. Otherwise, you'll always wonder "what if?", right?

Good luck!

Thanks for responding ypu are right in am just
nervous and wondered what others thought.
It's nice to get motivational input.

After being stuck in retail customer service since I left school at 17, I've recently decided to retrain in beauty therapy. As I have bills and kids etc. going to do a full time college course and leaving my current job wasn't an option, so I'm doing it bit by bit (with help from my Individual learning account - in Scotland you get £200 a year towards training if you earn less than £22kPA). Started with a Bridal & Evening makeup course in the evenings at college, moved onto manicure and gel overlay courses in my local beauty school and I'll be going back there next month for an advanced facials course and planning to do an eyebrow sculpting course too. I'll be 40 in May xx
Thanks for your advice. Sounds like I'm in a similar position to you. Nice to know other people are trying the same thing at our age.
I don't feel able to stay where I am much longer I've messed around with the idea for so long and what has come up seems such a good opportunity with the staff already in place I just don't want to make a hash of it and regret it but think I might regret not doing as much

I think 40 is a great age to retrain in something you have a keen interest in. I retrained in my early forties.

I also think that your previous experience will come in very useful when taking over an existing salon, as you'll need to manage the transition for the staff very carefully, if you're not to lose them or the goodwill the salon has built up.

It's a bit like therapy as clients can get very attached to their beautician (or hairdresser) and you might encounter a lot of resistance to any changes initially.

Hi thanks AcidPerm for taking the time to respond and good point on client migration. I have done weight loss counselling in the past and clients do have lots of loyalty. I have done lots of change management in my current role and know how even a small change can effect staff and clients. There's nothing worse than somebody coming in and making wholesale changes without taking time to understand all aspects of the business first. My biggest worry is my inability to actually do all the services offered for a year or so. I have mani and pedi and waxing n tanning training but not the experience it needs to be the best I can be at this. All the points everyone has made are great to hear and refreshing to hear I'm not to old to learn new skills.

Hi I am new to this but need some advice. I have decided to retrain in beauty after 20 yrs in senior management and had enough of dreaming of owning my own business. I have a lot of experience in my career in marketing and businessmanagement. I have the opportunity to buy a local beauticians with 2 very experienced staff . The current owner doesn't market or push the business and I can see the potential in the business as there is a great client base which is more 30+ yrs rather than very young . with new products and services and events etc and some retail turnover I really think it could be a great business. This now brings me to my lack of training. I have training planned and thought whilst I am developing myself the existing staff would be able to continue to support the business whilst I worked in it full time developing my experience whilst using my business skills to develope the business further. I know this will take time but am I mad to think I can go into the industry at 40 given my lack of experience..........sorry I have gone on a bit but wanted to explain my dilemma.

Hi , I also had a career in business and marketing for 10 year due to my child being born and the opportunity that arised I now own a Tanning and beauty salon, I have doubled the profit due to offers , promotion and putting a business plan in place , it's hard at times but the best decision I ever made! Do it xx

Wow that's great and good luck to you! I am 42 and in a similar frame of mind to you. I've wanted my own business for ages and have started doing therapy courses. I don't have the money to do the full beauty diploma but am so keen to get started with it! My aim initially is to rent a room in a salon and go from there. I currently do massage but want to branch into beauty. Really hope it works out for you.

Latest posts

Back