Advice needed, Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelP

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm in need of some advice please. I've been using Shellac for around 5 years now, as of late (I'd say the last 3 months or so) some of my clients who have shellac over their acrylics are having issues with the paint peeling from the tips within the week of getting them done. I don't believe I am doing anything different than before just want some advice as to how I could prevent this from happening any further. Thank you in advance xo

Do your bulbs need changing?

When you apply shellac over l&p are using a base coat? Because if you are you don't need one, also make sure they are not buffed too smooth x

What fluffy said

When you apply shellac over l&p are using a base coat? Because if you are you don't need one, also make sure they are not buffed too smooth x
Thanks hun. I'm not using a base coat and don't buff them shiny... I'm sure I'm doing everything right.... maybe they are just doing something that they are not telling me and i just have take the fall
Appreciate any other tips xo

do these clients have long nail extensions?

Do you have pics? Is it chipping or peeling off in sections ? ;)

Let's get to the bottom of this for you !

Thank you xo.
There are 3 that stand out that it keeps happening to. 1 has long and the shape is between stiletto and almond so quite sharp. The other is short and round and 1 is very short and square.... so all very different.
Here's 2 pics. Xo

Attachments

• Resized_20170422_202202.jpeg
    Resized_20170422_202202.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4133.jpg
    IMG_4133.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 129
...the black one looks like 2+ weeks growth !? How long had she had them on before she complained of chipping? X

In the photo it is 2 weeks. After 4 days she came in and i re-did them. The photo is after i did them the second time and she sent me this photo which happened another 10 days after the second time i did them
She's had then done again since and i haven't heard that is happened again with a different colour xo

Hey KelP,

The first picture is just natural wear, all shellac (or any brand of gel polish) will wear at the free edge, it's not chipped it's just worn away :) And completely normal , you do not mention if your using L & P or gel but its more noticeable over L & P than gel, gel is softer so the shellac doesn't wear as bad , but you will still get some wear at the edge

The second nails are definitely chipped :) I suspect because you are over capping your free edge and leaving a ridge of excess product that will cause undercurring OR due to the length of her nails they are in the incorrect position in the lamp, check her nails are fully bathed in light , she may need to pull her fingers back out of the divots just a tad to get the end on the nails in :)

Ahh this makes a bit of sense.... i am mindful of overcapping the free edge so the positioning of their nails will be the next focus....i do tell them not all the way but i can't see what they're doing haha.
L&P
Thank you this is a great help..... all of the suggestions have been greatly appreciated ladies xoxo

Ahh this makes a bit of sense.... i am mindful of overcapping the free edge so the positioning of their nails will be the next focus....i do tell them not all the way but i can't see what they're doing haha.
L&P
Thank you this is a great help..... all of the suggestions have been greatly appreciated ladies xoxo

What lamp are you using ? :)

Also check the underside of the nails when finished , sometimes when over capping , You can leave a little bit of product which clients just LOVE to pick

The CND lamp.
Yes i pick my own so i tell my clients if by chance there is that they don't pick it. They wouldn't tell me if they did though haha.
Thank you. I will take note care to check that too though.
Love this. You ladies have been very helpful xo

The CND lamp.
Yes i pick my own so i tell my clients if by chance there is that they don't pick it. They wouldn't tell me if they did though haha.
Thank you. I will take note care to check that too though.
Love this. You ladies have been very helpful xo

Is it the LED or UV, If its LED you can peak in at the back and see if the tips of the nails are covered in light, if not just ask them to bring there hand back a bit, If its UV then you don't need to worry about this ;)

It's UV. Thank you i will keep on top of that. After a while you fall into bad habits and i may have let the cues slip a bit.

Latest posts

Back