Advice on renting a room out to a hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherrysoda

Reaction score
Hello lovelies.

I'd love to hear people's opinions please.

We have a large room to the rear of our salon (converted farm house in a lovely courtyard setting) that is set out with two stations and a backwash but it needs work. I would say re decorating, two new windows (the old ones are only single glazed and it gets chilli in there) and an internal door with a lock.
The hairdressing part can be completely self contained with its own entrance as it's the old farmhouse kitchen and accessed via the rear door to the property. This means clients wouldn't have to come through the beauty salon.
There is also an option to use another station that is located in the nail room of our salon, to do hair up or extensions that would be included in the rent.

My question is - Do you think a hairdresser would be interested in taking it on on the basis that they would have to do the work and decorate how they wanted, for say £50 a week for a 12 month period (this would include water and electricity)?

We just don't have the time to get the work done and it seems a shame to be sat there empty.

Any advise would be much appreciated [emoji4].

TIA.

My stepson has looked at several properties for his barbershop with the same senario.

One shop needed everything doing to it, it had no services at all. Others needed a new ceiling and some paste ring etc.

So I would say yes people might consider your proposal. But it does depend on the amount of work required and how much that work will cost

My stepson has looked at several properties for his barbershop with the same senario.

One shop needed everything doing to it, it had no services at all. Others needed a new ceiling and some paste ring etc.

So I would say yes people might consider your proposal. But it does depend on the amount of work required and how much that work will cost

Thank you Beckybee for the info [emoji4]. The Windows will be the only 'big cost' as the stations, backwash, colour charts, trolleys and hairdryers are already there. The Windows are only house size too so shouldn't be more than £1000 for the two.
I just wasn't sure if that sum would put people off [emoji53] xx

Personally, I would never pay for something like windows or doors for someone else's salon. I would be willing to decorate the room, but that's it. Think of it like this: would you rent a flat and pay to replace windows? That's the landlord's responsibility.

The landlord should complete all repairs, fit windows, paint walls, install adequate heating, lighting and ensure there is running hot and cold water and a loo with hand basin.
Until the room is fit for use you should not advertise it.
If I were to rent a space I would only be prepared to furnish it with items I could take away if I left.

Personally, as a landlord myself. The buildings we rent are all in a great condition and need no repairs.

But. I doubt that any landlord who rents out a commercial property, will be over the moon when a new tenant hands over a list of repairs required, within hours of them moving in. I doubt they would be done instantly.

Any repairs required should be negotiated before any lease is signed. And in my opion be carried out before you sign. Or as suggested be reflected in the rent paid.

My husband has just fitted a sign for a new salon, she had to replace front window, replaster and put a new floor (tiles) in, as well as all the other bits she needed as a hairdresser.

As a landlord you are responsible for any repairs needed before any tenant comes in, but in trying to avoid the hassle why don't you meet halfway?
She can take care of what has to be done and you can pay for your part. Meaning you will be responsible for the windows and any heating water lighting floor walls cost, and she will be responsible for the extras, meaning paint job and furniture.

You can't however ask her to pay for what is essentially your property

So if the prospective stylist did rent out the room and paid all that money to get it all decorated and get windows and doors replaced what's to say at the end of the 12month period you won't renew her contract you have a room all done up at somebody else's expense. So there's no hard feeling and nobody loses I'd suggest replacing the windows and doors yourself and if at the end of the contract you don't want to renew then nobody can get in the legal rangle of she owes me etc

Personally, I would never pay for something like windows or doors for someone else's salon. I would be willing to decorate the room, but that's it. Think of it like this: would you rent a flat and pay to replace windows?

Hey attitude, funny you should ask that as When we took the property over (we rent from a landlord), it was all single glazed and needed plumbing, redecorating and ALL the furniture. We have had 8 double glazed windows fitted a new upvc door, levelled the floors, fitted flooring, added plumbing and a toilet and decorated throughout which has cost a lot. So yes, we did rent it and replace the windows [emoji23][emoji23][emoji13]
We were happy to do that though as we get a huge quirky property dirt cheap.
But I can see why other people might not want to.

The landlord should complete all repairs, fit windows, paint walls, install adequate heating, lighting and ensure there is running hot and cold water and a loo with hand basin.
Until the room is fit for use you should not advertise it.
If I were to rent a space I would only be prepared to furnish it with items I could take away if I left.

Thanks for the reply.
We haven't advertised it. Just wanted to get some views before doing that.
Fair point about the items but we have already paid for all the furniture and installation of the backwash and plumbing so the new person wouldn't have that as an outlay like most. Also, we rent it off a landlord and did lots of work to it [emoji87]

As a landlord you are responsible for any repairs needed before any tenant comes in, but in trying to avoid the hassle why don't you meet halfway?
She can take care of what has to be done and you can pay for your part. Meaning you will be responsible for the windows and any heating water lighting floor walls cost, and she will be responsible for the extras, meaning paint job and furniture.

You can't however ask her to pay for what is essentially your property

Hello,
Thanks for the reply [emoji4].
I should have explained myself better on the initial post. We rent the property off a landlord and have done considerable works to it including dbl glazing and plumbing and we just didn't want to do any more on that room as we don't use it. So thought it would be a good base if someone else wanted to sub let it for £50 a week with all utilities included (the price of a cut and colour). They don't have to put new windows in, it's just bloomin cold with the single glazing so thought they might like to. But it definitely needs redecorating, which I have always done when taking on salons as I always wanted my taste and style and not the previous tenants (if that makes sense).
I thought that maybe not having to pay out for all the equipment and furniture as it's already there (normally a big start up expense) and putting some money into decorating etc would be a good compromise but perhaps I'm wrong [emoji53].

So if the prospective stylist did rent out the room and paid all that money to get it all decorated and get windows and doors replaced what's to say at the end of the 12month period you won't renew her contract you have a room all done up at somebody else's expense. So there's no hard feeling and nobody loses I'd suggest replacing the windows and doors yourself and if at the end of the contract you don't want to renew then nobody can get in the legal rangle of she owes me etc

Hello and thank you for the reply [emoji4]. I totally get where your coming from but the only reason we wouldn't renew a contract was if they fell behind or refused to pay the rent. And if they didn't pay rent but had put windows into the property, then we haven't lost anything either. But I get that a perspective new sublessor may not be comfortable with that as they don't know us from Adam initially.

Personally, as a landlord myself. The buildings we rent are all in a great condition and need no repairs.

But. I doubt that any landlord who rents out a commercial property, will be over the moon when a new tenant hands over a list of repairs required, within hours of them moving in. I doubt they would be done instantly.

Any repairs required should be negotiated before any lease is signed. And in my opion be carried out before you sign. Or as suggested be reflected in the rent paid.

My husband has just fitted a sign for a new salon, she had to replace front window, replaster and put a new floor (tiles) in, as well as all the other bits she needed as a hairdresser.

Hey lovely,

I agree. I have always paid for the decoration of salons that I have rented. I wouldn't expect the landlord to do that as it's my choice to change it to my taste. Plus they would have just laughed and said no.

If I was paying a full rent for a property, I would expect it to be spic and span but I have had 2 salons where I have paid a very cheap rent on the understanding that I have to pay for backwashes to be plumbed in and a window to be replaced etc and have always thought it was s good deal. Have even done it with the house we rent now. We get it £150 a month cheaper than market value as we have done some re plastering and replaced a bedroom carpet [emoji23].
Maybe I'm just odd and like to barter [emoji23] x

Latest posts

Back