Advice on self employed position

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissKittyKat

Beauty, Massage & Aesthetic Practitioner
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping I can get some advice here as I can't seem to find an answer myself via my own research. I recently accepted a part time position within a laser and skin clinic. At the interview the manager explained that the position would be classed as self-employed. She explained that I would be paid an hourly wage and get 10% commission on everything I sold, but I would have to submit my own taxes and NI.

I questioned this at my second interview after they offered me the job, and she explained it in exactly the same way. I also found out they pay every two weeks, offer 20 days paid holiday, no sickness pay, and they don't pay into a pension scheme. I have to work set hours, and they have their own client base that myself and another therapist and also the manager provide treatments to.

I accepted the job as I needed to start earning some more money and gain some experience doing laser treatments. I have not been given any kind of contract or agreement to sign, so I am still very much unsure what my rights are. From the research I've done I cant find any information on a situation like mine and therefore I am very uncertain if it is actually allowed.

Any input or advice would be great!

Sounds like they're tax dodging. In the eyes of the law you're 100% viewed as employed. There is nothing self employed about that position.

Sounds like they're tax dodging. In the eyes of the law you're 100% viewed as employed. There is nothing self employed about that position.
That was my suspicion, thanks for the feedback!

Contact ACAS and they will advise you further.

Latest posts

Back