advice on steaming in facials

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy-chick

Reaction score
hi guys.

today I acquired a facial steamer with 7 litres of distilled water (friend going out of biz).

Now, I haven't been shown how to do steaming in both the facial courses that I have been on.

Do I need training in this (cos I can ask the trainer to do this for me next course I am on) or is something that is so simple, I don't need training in it?

I really don't want to offend anyone here, if it is something that needs training in, I can remedy that asap.

I dont know yet if it will fit into my facial treatments, but have bought it for the training centre, so know I will get use out of it at some time.

Thanks x

hi ya
i use steam in my facials, it is great for opening pores to clear them and allow them to take in more product, this is best just before the mask (i also put a serum on before the mask)
do you have a stand up steamer or a table top?
i think if you know how to incorperate it they are easy to use with no training, did you ask your friend what to do?
table top steamers you can hold yourself, on your lap from behind, from min 30cms and let the steam flow over the clients face but not directly onto.
stand up units you position the arm so it does the same thing but from the front of the client rather than the back....
hope this helps it will really improve the effects of the products you use
xxxxx

you would also need to know the correct distances and timings for different skin types too, and the safety aspects too and contraindications to steaming too.

it is a great treatment:)

thanks everyone.
it looks like its a table top one and has an arm sticking out!

my friend, she said oh its dead easy! thanks for the money and goodbye.

I have got an NVQ11 book so will look in that, but will seek advice from my recent facial trainer.

any other advice?

Do you know which skin types you can and can't steam and why? Distance to face, for how long, whether or not to use ozone?

If you don't know then I would definitely recommend training because you could potentially make some skin conditions worse.:hug:

Do you know which skin types you can and can't steam and why? Distance to face, for how long, whether or not to use ozone?

If you don't know then I would definitely recommend training because you could potentially make some skin conditions worse.:hug:
No I don't know any of that, and thats why I am pleased that I geeked this rather than just did it!

I don't do anything to clients that I am not sure of, and will definetly not use it on any of them until I have liased with my trainer.

Thanks geeks, once again, you have come up trumps, and my gut instinct too! cheers x

Good luck with your training.:hug:

thanks Debs,will do!

BTW, do you use facial steaming a lot? do you use it in all of your facials?

thanks Debs,will do!

BTW, do you use facial steaming a lot? do you use it in all of your facials?

I do like to use steam but as I said it isn't suitable for all skin types, so in those cases I use hot mitts instead. It is a part of the treatment clients like though and depending on what else Im doing in the facial I will exfoliate under steam too.

I personally am not very keen on steaming, I do think it is very good for oily/acne skin types and to help with extraction but in general im not a fan.

I think it probably comes down to the fact that I don't like having facials with steam in them and the majority of my clients all have mature skin and imo don't really need steaming. There are lots of skincare ranges that advise against or don't include steaming in there facials.

When I did my dermalogica training I couldn't believe how much steaming was going on, they love the steam !

well last night I went to bed with my NVQ2 & 3 books and read all about it. Seems easy enough, and now have seen the times and distances recommended for skin types.

do you add extra time to your treatments to allow for steaming? If I wanted to add it in, am I then expected to do extractions?

Had a quick go of it today and was pleased on how gentle it was.

dont forget to ask your client if the are claustraphobic , i aint but steaming gives me a proper panic attack i cannot stand having it done it makes me feel awful , like i cant breathe ,
tried having it further away etc.... but it makes no difference
just the thought of it make me feel like i am being suffocated its very strange (i think its just me , hahah)
just thought i would mention it :hug:

I personally am not very keen on steaming, I do think it is very good for oily/acne skin types and to help with extraction but in general im not a fan.

I think it probably comes down to the fact that I don't like having facials with steam in them and the majority of my clients all have mature skin and imo don't really need steaming. There are lots of skincare ranges that advise against or don't include steaming in there facials.

When I did my dermalogica training I couldn't believe how much steaming was going on, they love the steam !

I agree and I don't have a steamer. Opinion seems to be moving towards steaming being too harsh for the skin ... and ozone is also not recommended at all by certain quarters. So I use desincrustation for 5 minutes using Dermalogica's Scaling Fluid. This really opens the pores and OMG the stuff I can extract is magic! :eek::green:

I agree and I don't have a steamer. Opinion seems to be moving towards steaming being too harsh for the skin ... and ozone is also not recommended at all by certain quarters. So I use desincrustation for 5 minutes using Dermalogica's Scaling Fluid. This really opens the pores and OMG the stuff I can extract is magic! :eek::green:
I can almost hear you drooling their Sassy!

I dont usually use my steamer.Most people prefer a longer massage.
I have a little basket in mine to add a cotton wool ball and essential oils.
Sometimes i add eucalyptus for people who are bunged up especially at this time of year with hay fever.I then make a 'tent' around them with a large towel.Afterwards when i massage i drain their sinus areas.So not only a clean skin but they can breathe better too:)

I'm not qualified yet, but we have a whole set of notes on facial steaming with indications, contraindications, contra actions, distances from face, time spans for various skin types etc.......

Facial steamers can also have an ozone facility and you need to know when and when not to use it and how the ozone is produced.

Some machines use distilled water, some don't (follow manufacturers instructions). I would really recommend being taught how to do a facial steam before attempting it on anybody. If something were to go wrong, your insurance would not cover you.

thanks Tracey, will speak to my tutor when I see her next.

thanks Tracey, will speak to my tutor when I see her next.

Hi

Hippy chick

Did you not cover steaming at college, I do not think skincare trainers will train you on how to use a steamer, only when to use the steamer in the facial routine. And when to get the best results.

Hi

Hippy chick

Did you not cover steaming at college, I do not think skincare trainers will train you on how to use a steamer, only when to use the steamer in the facial routine. And when to get the best results.
Did 2 private courses, so havent covered steaming in either of them. Next time I do some training I will ask her to cover the steaming element for me.

Latest posts

Back