Advice - please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickie@Nailmania-Limited

Goldie Hawn Geek
Reaction score
Hi

the husband on one of my new client's came into the salon on Monday to say that he would like to buy his wife a year's worth of rebalances - (wow - nice man - lucky client) - I have done two quotes based on either a 2 weekly rebalance or a 3 weekly rebalance.

Should I build into the quote a few soak offs and new acrylic during the course of the year to refresh the acrylic.

I then want to be able to discount the total by about 25% - Should I discount the total by more do you think?

Is there anything else I should build into the quote that I have not thought of?

Any ideas?

Many thanks

hey hun are you discounting because of the payment in advance - either way and if you want to offer a discount then i think 25% is way too high - its just that this lady will take as long to do as another client having a rebalance or replacement nail etc ? so unless you can make yoru discount back in interest from the bank you will lose out ? nice gesture but think about the % you offer id say 10 or 15% is more than enough and very generous

Not sure re what to include re soak offs etc or breakages - you cannot forsee any probs she may encounter etc .. oh my i dont mean to sound negative about this - maybe someone else more experienced can advise on this bit !

Do remember though to put together something in writing for you and him - and both to sign - also mention cancellation policy / refund etc !

initial thoughts and hope this has helped a little

kx

I'd calculate it based on fortnightly rebalances - you should know from her record card how often she returns. Don't offer him to opportunity of 3 weekly, you'll end up losing money if she comes back every 3 weeks with most of them missing. :irked:

I'd include 2 soak offs, and new sets (one every six months) ;)

I'd include solar oil too - after all, it's part of the whole contract between client and tech that they both take their roles seriously! :wink2:

Just to play devils advocate too :twisted: - I'd be a bit reluctant to take a year's money in advance for a couple of reasons

- What happens if you fall out with her? (arguments blow up over the smallest things - they'll want their money back!) :cry:
- What happens if she decides she wants to change salon/tech? (no disrespect to you, her best mate might become a tech, there are all sorts of reasons - they'll want their money back!) :cry:
- It's hard feeling like you've worked for free (I don't like clients who have held one of my gift vouchers until the last minute, then I do all this work and they walk away without paying - I know I've already had the money, but that could have been weeks ago!) :irked:

I don't want to put a downer on it for you, if you've already considered these things I apologise - I just don't want to see you tied down by this later and regretting it :rolleyes:

Good Luck
Trin
xx

i agree with trin...
I do a 'nail biters' programme where they pay up front for 4 once-weekly visits - works a treat to stop them picking and biting but i hate that feeling of not being paid - when all along i have been but just at the beginning of the treatments! I too don't like vouchers when they keep them for 6 months!
If you do decide to go this route though, then i'd offer no discount but throw in a bottle of solar oil monthly

Tell me to keep my nose out...... why not put an expiry date on your vouchers? I know you then have to keep them updated, just an idea.

Seanny said:
Tell me to keep my nose out...... why not put an expiry date on your vouchers? I know you then have to keep them updated, just an idea.
i do! Just need to change from 6 months to 3! or better still, 1 week :green:

if you hate the feeling of not being paid, why not keep the money seperate until they decide to use it, then you can put the money into the till and it'll be just like getting paid. Though, I suppose you'd miss out on interest :irked:

i'd definitely look at her card and see how often she returns before saying i'll quote on x weekly rebalances. You don't want to lose out on money.

I also think that 25% is way too much, £25 out of every £100 pounds, plus you have to pay all your rates/products/etc

Seanny said:

I do, mine are usually 6 weeks - Xmas loyalty ones were only 4 weeks :twisted:

Hey girls
Thanks for all replies and suggestions - It does seem to me there is more to think about this than meets the eye - I will have to script it very carefully to incorporate any fall outs - I am fortunate where I live that there are not may nail bars and the lady in question is the receptionist at my daughter's school. However ... I will have to put my thinking cap on again!

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks again

Put an expiration date on the voucher so its more about the time period than the number of rebalances if that makes sence...hth

Fab Freak said:
Put an expiration date on the voucher so its more about the time period than the number of rebalances if that makes sence...hth
and make it non-transferable i.e. she can't let her friends use/borrow it...

Just out of interest, why do you guys not like it when people wait a long time to use their gift vouchers?
As a customer, expiry dates drive me NUTS. My mum has had vouchers go to waste before because they were given as a gift and there just wasn't any treatment that she wanted done before the time ran out, or she forgot about the time.
Surely if someone has handed over their hard cash for a voucher you have a duty to honour it, otherwise if the vouchers runs out you have essentially just got £10, £20, £30 whatever for doing nothing.
I'm not trying to be offensive, it's just I'd feel incredibly guilty if I knew that someone had paid for a voucher and it ran out without being used. I suppose you can't let them go in indefinitely, but 4 or 6 weeks sounds like a very short space of time to me. If they are given as a gift you have no guarantee that the receiver has enough free time in that 4-6 week time period to even schedule an appointment.
Just wondering.

mine are currently 6 months and as i don't have hundreds of them floating around 'unused' i know who has them and what for...i would honour one though if it was produced after 6 months. I once won a day at a health club/spa - the voucher was valid for a year but had already expired when i won it!! They kindly honoured it!

I would charge the full price based on 2 weekly re-balancing but I would throw in any reapirs/replacements free. Even if she has a new set every 3mths, it doesn't cost any more than a re-balance (in the long run). x

I would accept this client's money and I wouldnt' worry about falling out with her or her wanting to transfer to another nail technician. If she does that is her concern - as long as you are willing to carry out the service on her you are not breaking your part of the agreement and there is no reason for her to request a refund.

There have been some good comments regarding solar oil, cancellations, new sets and basing it on two week rebalances rather than three.

I too think a 25% reduction is too high. If you do make a reduction, make sure it is very clear and visible, so the client knows you have made the reduction and doesn't haggle for even more!

Perhaps you could finish the course of rebalances with a lovely new set and a gift voucher to encourage her husband to rebook for another year!? :wink2:

Other than that if you keep good client records, I'm sure you will manage your client beautifully.

Good luck and best wishes,

Karen
xxx

Just to update you all.
I sent my client's husband two quotes for 2 and 3 weekly rebalances with 2 x soak offs and new sets. I put a "terms and conditions" part to say that if either party was not happy during the year then Nailmania (my company) would refund 50% of the balance.

However the client in question wants to try to see if she can now do her own nail rebalances!! and wants to try - I CANNOT PERSUADE HER OTHERWISE - she loves her nails being the way I have got them - but she wants to try - what can I do - she says she cannot afford to keep them up. I feel that I will have to let it go because she will not carry on because of the cost. I know she will feel awful at how tricky it can be to try this option but she is determined. Rather than alienate her totally, I have said I will soak the nails off if she is not happy with her "own rebalances" .

What a nightmare! However, I don't want her to ruin her natural nails either - as they are fantastic - oh for nails like hers!!!!!

Any way that is the update - I have a feeling she will return but time will tell!!!

Thanks for all your input and best wishes to you all

Thanks for the update, I was wondering what the outcome was the other day!

I'm fairly sure she'll be back after her 'attempts' :rolleyes:

You've been very forward thinking in offering to help out should things go wrong - wise move, good thinking :wink2:

Let us know of any new developments...

Trin
xx

bimbogeri said:
Just out of interest, why do you guys not like it when people wait a long time to use their gift vouchers?
As a customer, expiry dates drive me NUTS. My mum has had vouchers go to waste before because they were given as a gift and there just wasn't any treatment that she wanted done before the time ran out, or she forgot about the time.
Surely if someone has handed over their hard cash for a voucher you have a duty to honour it, otherwise if the vouchers runs out you have essentially just got £10, £20, £30 whatever for doing nothing.
I'm not trying to be offensive, it's just I'd feel incredibly guilty if I knew that someone had paid for a voucher and it ran out without being used. I suppose you can't let them go in indefinitely, but 4 or 6 weeks sounds like a very short space of time to me. If they are given as a gift you have no guarantee that the receiver has enough free time in that 4-6 week time period to even schedule an appointment.
Just wondering.

Sorry about the delay in replying, I didn't see your post before :rolleyes:

The reason I put a short expiry date on my Xmas vouchers was because they were freebie loyalty vouchers (however much you spent with me over the previous year determined the level of discount, my best clients got a freebie of their choice, my one-timers got a 10% discount, and the others anything in between).

During January most people are skint, so it was an incentive to bring clients in during the quieter periods. I'm in this business to make money and you have to speculate to accumulate, but my generousity has bounds :biggrin:

'Normal' vouchers have an 8 week expiry date, thats 2 months, which I believe is plenty long enough for a manicure/full set/rebalance/whatever.

I sold about 10 vouchers last Mother's Day and for the next few weeks I seemed to do nothing but freebies, as all these clients turned up to cash them in and I felt like I wasn't getting paid. I did 90 minutes of treatment, then they just got up and left, and I felt a bit cheated - I knew I'd already had the money, it was banked, but it's the reward at the end of my work to be paid and it didn't happen - maybe I'm odd :o

Hope this helps explain

Regards
Trin

What a shame Nickie after all the work you had gone to to sort out the quotes and taking into consideration everyone's comments. AAs trinity said though i don't think it wil be long before she is back we all know how hard it is too rebalance especially with no training, at least you will be there to catch her when she falls.
x

Latest posts

Back