advise on starting a new business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louwesley

Reaction score
after being self employed for the last two years and having quite a succesful home and mobile based business i'm thinking of biting the bullet and opening a salon. i have found the ideal location with plenty of passing traffic a co-op and food premises on the same location and plenty of free parking. Can any one offer me advice etc. i am in the very early stages of thinking about setting up i.e i'm arranging a viewing of said premises and consulting a bank about business banking etc. with the right marketing etc i don't see how it could go wrong (i know any thing could but it's just perfect). So, all you managers and business owners what would you advise that you never thought of when your business was still an idea?

Hi,

I would contact your local Business Gateway as they will keep you right will all aspects of startng your business as well as giving you some good solid advice. hth

I have loads of usful info from natwest PM me with you e-mail address and i'll send it!

Have you checked out all local competition, planning permission etc etc

Do a search on here, it's a mine of information... it really is.. people come up against so many hurdles and if you're prepared you'll breeze through it

Good luck :hug:

I Think Go For It There Is A Business And Accounting Course At T- Cat College On 21st Feb, I Know This Is Near To You I Dont Think You Can Go Wrong With This Course Only 8 Weeks And Will Be A Great Help To You, You Need To Check Out Your Compertition As There Is Also Alot Of Nail Academys And Bars In Shrewsbury And Make Sure Your Regular Clients Are Willing To Go Along With You As You Will Hve To Put Up Your Prices And They May Not Be Prapared For That, Sorry To Sound Pesamistic But Just Pointingout Important Things Hope It Goes Well I Will Look Out For You On Passing Shrewsbury.lol.

If you already have a good clientelle that will follow you into a salon, go for it!
Have you asked your clients if they are prepared to travel to salon or do they prefer home treatments? Bare in mind, treatments will cost more to cover your salon overheads.

There's alot more overheads than mobile/home salon, and have you thought about employing staff, wages, tax, NIC's and PAYE. More to pay for the accountant to sort out!
Heating/lighting, Rates, rent, insurance, & public Liability are a must too.

Sounds all too much when you look at it like this, im not trying to put you off, but prepare you for all the above and more. You got to take the bull by its horns, confident attitude!

Its very stressful, you will have to put your all & all into it, long hours, even when no clients are booked in-you have to stay open until closing time.
I did it 3 years ago, after renting a small room above a shop for 50 quid aweek including heating/rates/lighting, only thing extra was the landline i had put in and a calor gas bottle. :lol:

Now, after alot of blood, sweat & tears, im just seeing its worth it, but i hold my breath.....problems still could arise, you never know whats round the corner! :rolleyes: Maybe I just worry toooooo much!

Good luck what ever you decide to do! :hug:

Latest posts

Back