Agony aunt - nail answers needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicornpoos

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I've been stalking this site for ages and finally couldn't take anymore and had to sign up ha.
Ok so I'm pretty much 99% decided that I'm going to do a novice nail course this year, my questions I'd love to know answers too are.........
In your opinion can anyone learn to do nails, or are some people just more gifted at it?
Do you see lots of people start and then give up and if so for what reasons?
How important is brand training and having their back up important to your success?
Should you perfect your basic mani and pedi before moving on to extensions etc or learn everything at once?
Ooooo and also what do you wish you had known right at the beginning?

That's it for now but I know I'll be back with more ha.....thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer these mwah xx

I've just finished training for NVQ level 2 nail services. It was intensive so I probably wouldn't recommend that. My brain went into overload! But I was a novice before, and as long as you practice like crazy it's definitely do-able! So in answer to your questions; some people on the course struggled more than others (be confident and if you wear glasses make sure you have them with you!) no one 'gave up' but I think some people will need more practice than others. No idea about brand training. I would just learn the skills first then decide on specific brands. Mani and pedi skills are pretty important to the rest of the course, so work at that first. Also, invest in a nail trainer. I love mine and it's definitely worth the money, I can practice in my own time and not have to rely on someone being free. It also doesn't matter if you go horrible wrong because it's not a real person!
Good luck xx

Hi Everyone, I've been stalking this site for ages and finally couldn't take anymore and had to sign up ha.
Ok so I'm pretty much 99% decided that I'm going to do a novice nail course this year, my questions I'd love to know answers too are.........
In your opinion can anyone learn to do nails, or are some people just more gifted at it?
How important is brand training and having their back up important to your success?
Should you perfect your basic mani and pedi before moving on to extensions etc or learn everything at once?

That's it for now but I know I'll be back with more ha.....thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer these mwah xx

Congratulations! on starting your course!
personally we all have a natural talent for some people its nails others art... you get my drift! I really do believe you can learn to be awesome at anything you choose to do it just takes practice, self discipline, commitment and determination! you will get there :) I am 100% sure of that just don't do the course expecting to be super amazing as soon as you begin because this is unrealistic and puts pressure on you. go with the attitude of being excited to learn a new skill at take each day as it comes :) celebrate your achievements and learn from your mistakes

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you both for your answering, I just don't want to invest all the money and time into something to not have it pay off. Practice obviously does make perfect as they say x

I think anyone can learn if they have passion and work hard. I am not naturally artistic but I love nails so I work hard on it!
Many people on my course don't now work in the industry so does that count as giving up? I started a salon job while still in training and will only do beauty/nail jobs from now on but many don't feel they are confident are enough to do that.
I don't have brand training I have college training. You don't need specific brand training but if there's one you love them you can go with them. I'm hoping to learn hard gels with artistic nail design but I could also do it through a college. Hardly any brands require you to do their training just that you are trained.
I'd definitely perfect Mani and pedi first. Once you've got that down gel polish is a breeze and you have a great grounding for learning extensions.

I think most importantly if you WANT to do it you can. Also when you go on your course, ask questions! I've found that I'm having to find out a lot of things since training, I wish I had asked at the time and had someone demonstrate to me. It's much easier to be shown than read the info and try to put it into practice xxx

Latest posts

Back