Airbrushing & Metallic paints - advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryony

British Aussie Geek
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there anyone who can advise me on how to sucessfully airbrush using metallic paints?

I remember when I did my training Melle Stripp said metallics were a pain in the butt, she wasn't joking! (that was using the Createx ones)

I have an Iwata Smart jet Pro compressor and Iwata HP-B airbrush. I use the medea paints and whenever I try any of the metallic colours I get:

1) loads of water and not much metallic colour in my colour cup, no matter how hard or how long I shake the bottle for first.
2) the water sprays out onto the nail, sits on the surface of the nail, then any colour than does come out pools into one area then just drips off the nail
3) the colour does not flow evenly and 'splutters' periodically through the airbrush
4) they are a pain to clean out as they seem to leave more residue than regular colour (although think this is just the nature of the metallic fleks, so can't do a lot about this except give a REALLY thorough clean)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have resorted to using metallic gold or silver nail varnish if I want a metallic base, but this is no good if I want metallic over another colour!

Thanks,

It sounds like you have a blockage in the gun? I use Medea paints and a few other and only get this problem when there is a build up of paint within the gun.

I use media paints and an IWATA and I have this problem too. Its as if the pigment in the paint is too thick. I have found that I need to press down for the air and then flick back the trigger to get anywhere!

Vicky,

Don't think I have a blockage, as all my other paints are coming out fine.

Even so, I gave the airbrush a really thorough clean the other day, and still had the same problem...

Have you tryed pulling the needle slighty out? or give chocolate a pm and ask her or JackieMc is good with the airgun!

Hi Bryony,

I use the Medea metallics all the time and you do need to be careful with them. Firstly, even if you can hear that ball bearing move in the bottle, take the top off and give the paint a real good mix around with an orange stick. NEVER be tempted to discard any solid-ish lumps of pigment as this will leave you with just coloured water - always take the time to mix the pigment back in with the water. Doing this should solve your problem of water coming out and not paint.

Next, you must spray these metallics differently. You need to 'spritz' them onto the nail. Be very careful that you don't pull back on the needle too far and just spray a short burst very quickly - then apply tonnes of air. Build up the colour in lots of light layers. If you try to spray them like the other colours (in long bursts) you'll flood the nail. I'm finding it hard to explain myself clearly. You need to spray for a fraction of a second, sometimes described as 'pumping', but don't let too much paint out. To help with not flooding the nail, try keeping the airbrush a few inches further away than normal, gives you a bit more of a fighting chance then if you do let out too much paint.

Jackie
x

Forgot to mention, when using metallics you may find giving a proper blast (quick burst of air and paint, pulling the trigger right back) onto tissue (not the nail) will help clear any pesky bits that might be hanging around.

Thank you, i will give those suggestions a try.

I know what you're describing about to spray them in spurts!

Will let you know how I get on.....

JackieMc said:
take the top off and give the paint a real good mix around with an orange stick.
Next, you must spray these metallics differently. You need to 'spritz' them onto the nail. Be very careful that you don't pull back on the needle too far and just spray a short burst very quickly - then apply tonnes of air. Build up the colour in lots of light layers. If you try to spray them like the other colours (in long bursts) you'll flood the nail.
JackieMc said:
Jackie,

Had a chance to do this today - worked an absolute treat! Thanks very much.

x

Glad you've got it sorted! :D

Latest posts

Back