All is not lost for 2009

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanlicious

Reaction score
Well lately it has been dead for me then odd tan and nails once a week.

But August is turning out to be my best month yet! Had a few spray tans and nails to do last week which in itself was more than usual, ive been lucky to get 1 spray tan a week. Then this week!
monday had a spray tan to do,
yesterday tan and nails.
Tonight a hair extensions consultation.
thrusday two spray tans.
Friday 4 sets of nails and tan
Saturday fit head of extensions.
Got a few spray tans booked over the next 2 weeks and another set of hair extensions.

I too had been thinking over the last year its never been so quiet, I cant make a living out of this as I was wanting to go part time in my main job, have a full time job so I work alot with that but have alot of bills and debts to pay so cant give it up just yet.

It justs shows though that the clients are still out there, we may go through really quiet periods and feel like giving up, but stick at it.

Its give me a kick up the a*se and now Im going to give lots of offers for recommendations, partys etc. advertise like mad as being this busy this week has made me realise how much I enjoy doing nails and tans meeting new people and groundhog day in my usual work is just not what i want.

chins up people they're still out there.
:hug:

Thanks i really needed to read this (that wasn't me bieng sarcastic by the way)
Im having a really hard time at the moment and am getting next to nothing booked in

i went from november to february with no bookings at all! then done my spray tan training. then slowly got the odd spray tan an nails like twice a month, then in the last month it got up to nearly 1 a week then august has been great, i know most of them are for the races, partys and christenings (one offs) but try my best to make a great impression so they can become regulars. 1 so far has made a definate booking for next week. This might be the only busy month for me but realising people are still out there has give me a reality check.
So I know exactly how you feel.

I dont know if this has helped but it would be strange if it did, I was doing spray tans for £15 and nails and tan for £35 as an offer over june and july then decided sod it Im being a bit cheap. So put it upto £20 for a tan and £40 for tans and nails from the 1st Aug and I ve had 70 percent more calls than usual, even though some havent booked its a rise in peoples interest.

I started this year mobile but hardly any work I have put loads of leaflets out nothing seems to be working. I don;t have much confidence thought it must just be me.:irked:

yey well done guy's...its tough out there and we need to keep one step ahead of the competition and make our business work .

Self belief and confidence are paramount ingredients being successful ...isn't it a great feeling when you get those first signs that all your efforts are beginning to come to fruition...certainly helps put that spring back in your step.

Good luck and keep up the hard work :hug:

I also think it is down to the area you live in as well.

I work full time and do spray tanning in the evening. I started my mobile business at the end of May and have done: -

6 tans in May
27 tans in June
59 tans in July
10 tans in August and 10 more tans booked in so far
15 tans booked for September so far.

I charge £22.50 for one tan and £18 when you refer a friend to have a tan at the same time. My business seems to be 60% word of mouth and regular clients and around 40% from Google.

I carry business cards with me everywhere but I can't believe how much business I have received from google even though there are alot of tanning therapists in my area.

I have left cards with hairdressers/pubs etc and agreed that if they get me five clients one member of staff receives a free tan in return. This seems to work quite well.

I am doing an Indulgence day in September to help promote my business as I am expanding into Airbrush make up in time for Christmas.

It really does take hard work and dedication to get things moving. I am always trying to stay one step ahead and things seem to be working well for me at the moment even though August has been fairly quiet but I have put this down to the school holidays. Hopefully things will pick up in September.

I plan to do some special offers in October/November to keep things ticking over....

Keep your chin up, I'm sure things will pick up for you.

Jackie x

my advice to those who are mobile beauty is go to a hair salon in your area and see if they will take some of your price lits etc and recommend you? The last salon i worked in only did hair and thats what we did. We actually knew a girl who had her own salon and a mobile beautician so that whatever suited the client, they could choose. I would say the mobile beautician especially does well from this.

Even if you offered an evening where the staff of the salon could get some treatments done so they can genuinely recommend you?:lol:

I find most of mine have been through the free ads on the internet, a few have been word of mouth.
I posted my buisness cards to hairdressers etc asking if they would put my cards on reception in return for discounted prices.
Dont think any have as yet.
timeless tanning thats a really good amount of custom from starting end of May!!! well done!!! Ive not been that busy ever! haha
When you give them a discount for recommending a friend do they expect that price for the rest of their tans?
Think I will go visit some hairdressers in person though.

I've found the most positive moves I've made towards getting new business are meeting up with other people who own similar businesses. I'm trying to concentrate on people who are involved in weddings so I've spoken to jewelers and photographers, as well as I have a good relationship with a beautician.

I have just started registering with the free online ads. Never really thought about it so I hope it brings good results!!!

You should maybe look at advertising your tan as a pre wedding treatment! People who are getting married are so carried away with money...you might even end up doing the bride, 3 bridesmaids and mother of the bride in one evening before the wedding!!

I find most of mine have been through the free ads on the internet, a few have been word of mouth.
I posted my buisness cards to hairdressers etc asking if they would put my cards on reception in return for discounted prices.
Dont think any have as yet.
timeless tanning thats a really good amount of custom from starting end of May!!! well done!!! Ive not been that busy ever! haha
When you give them a discount for recommending a friend do they expect that price for the rest of their tans?
Think I will go visit some hairdressers in person though.

Thanks Tanlicious. I have worked hard to get word about and getting myself on the web in as many free ads as I can.

No my clients don't expect to pay £18 all the time, I always make it clear what my prices are. For regular clients that come every two weeks, I charge them £20 and give them their 6th tan for £12.50. Most of them end up giving me a tip.

I think I deliver really good customer service and always make sure that they know I am available if they have any problems. Fingers crossed no one has had to have a respray as yet!

Other places to go are Florists, as they always have brides to be visiting them for flowers! Also go into local pubs and ask if they would stick a flyer up in the ladies toilets or put some business cards in there on the same basis that if they get you five clients offer one of them a free tan!

I am also in cahoots with various Beauticians/haridressers where we recommend each other.

Jackie x

florists is a good one, I never thought about that! Its really good to have different people to bounce ideas off.

I've never had a spray tan before...maybe should find someone around me who does it and try it out! would love to get it done every two weeks, would you say it lasts that long? I use normal fake tan but I think it probably only lasts about 4-5 days on me.

florists is a good one, I never thought about that! Its really good to have different people to bounce ideas off.

I've never had a spray tan before...maybe should find someone around me who does it and try it out! would love to get it done every two weeks, would you say it lasts that long? I use normal fake tan but I think it probably only lasts about 4-5 days on me.

I meet up another beautician in the next town every two weeks and we spray each other. I find that I usually get around 7 to 10 days from my tan.

Its so good to get good contacts set up within the industry! :) thanks for all the advice on here :) xx

Hi

I just would like to make a small point.... that is that sometimes it's no harm to get a 'little' quiet as it kinda shakes you up and keeps you on a level track - on your toes... what I mean by that is that we can get too 'cocky' if we are constantly busy and lose the grip at little so does no harm to have a reality check every so often..:hug: Having said that we do want to be kept busy most of the time!!

Jan

Hi

I just would like to make a small point.... that is that sometimes it's no harm to get a 'little' quiet as it kinda shakes you up and keeps you on a level track - on your toes... what I mean by that is that we can get too 'cocky' if we are constantly busy and lose the grip at little so does no harm to have a reality check every so often..:hug: Having said that we do want to be kept busy most of the time!!

Jan

Hi Jan

I do agree with you. I have gone quiet compared to last month and it has definitely given me food for thought. You need to keep working at it all the time. It has been so nice to have some evenings to myself again also and has made me realise that perhaps I have been working far too many hourse considering I work full time as well....

I am thankful for the lull at the moment... Then hopefully full steam ahead again for September...

Jackie

Latest posts

Back