Am I being paranoid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leesaslegs

Reaction score
So I am still in the very very early stages of my new mobile business, and so far all my paying clients have been people I know through kids schools etc. I have only advertised on facebook, yell & gumtree (all of which were free & I already regret as have nothing but scam/sales calls grrr).
Anyway, yesterday I got an email from a lady, asking to book a combi mani/pedi for her mum for mothers day, can I fit her in one day next week after 2pm. She gave a mobile number, and the email was from a council public health & safety department. I rang her, and offered next thurs which was first after 2 appointment i have, she accepted and told me where her mum lives (its almost 12 mile away) I explained there would be a small surcharge due to location, confirmed total price & she agreed and we booked it. I asked where she had heard about me and she said she couldnt remember.

I sent an email confirmation of booking etc. I'm just a little concerned as to how this woman found my details etc, there are therapists closer to her location etc. Am I just being really paranoid, I have had so many scam type calls since starting, i probably just cant quite believe that google or yell have attracted a real customer!!

thanks in a... as i was writing i have just had yet another "sales" call from yell.com... thats why im so bloomin paranoid lol!

by saying "am i being paranoid" do you mean that you will turn up and they won't be in or something? If so, I would ask for a deposit. I've always learnt to trust my gut instinct as it is normally right :) good luck, but I am sure it is a real customer, maybe you were the only one on yell.com on the first page that had a website? Hope it goes ok xxx

actually, also seems odd that they can't remember where they found out about you. I am not really sure what to suggest. Perhaps asking for a non-refundable deposit but will be taken off treatment price xx

I did suggest, as it was a gift, that she pay via pingit and I could post a gift voucher - but she said she would rather just leave the money with her mum. And as I havent got a deposit policy in place on website I didnt think it fair to push it. I think I might put a policy in place for visits over 5 mile?? Yes, my gut instinct just tells me something isnt quite right, but as I say, im new to this & just wasnt expecting calls from anyone further than a few mile, but then the "possitive" me is saying "wow she works for the council, I could get a lot of business from this" so fingers crossed... thanks for taking time to reply :hug:

My advice would be, prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.
There is a lot to be said of gut instinct so don't be disappointed if it doesn't go ahead and take it as a lesson learnt, but equally, she could turn out to be a really lovely regular customer!

In my experience, people who provide a legit email address and contact details are not norrmally the sort to mess you around - have faith that she just like ur advert or one of ur clients suggested u :)

I am in the northwest and i kid you not i have had someone call to make a booking from London?! Others from 20-30 miles away.

Have you taken the mothers contact details? Can you call her Thurs morning to confirm appointment and address?

I think when you are on several sites it might not be clear which site they found you, or she may have asked someone to search for a mobile tech.

Clients rarely look at where you are as you are mobile to them it doesn't make a difference to them.

Xx

Latest posts

Back