Am I being too picky?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CupcakeTheCat

Reaction score
Hello, I have just started my first proper job in a clinic/salon and as much as I like the people and my co-workers I can't stand the owners. It is going to be a month that I've worked there and I have not exchanged more than a sentence with them. The place is owned by a couple and as far as I understand the husband takes care of the business side of everything yet he has completely ignored me the couple times that he has showed up at the clinic. I don't know how much I am getting paid, no contract has been signed, no one has even asked me for my bank details. I've asked around and some of the other girls don't have contracts either. When one of them asked about it before the owner just laughed it off. But it's not only the staff that are not taken care off. The machines they use are bought off eBay for complete pennies compared to proper branded ones, no proper staff training has been given to anyone and as far as I understand none of the therapists know the correct way to perform treatments so each to it differently. Not only that but I've not seen any of the therapists wash their hands before treatment, and the machines are just wiped off with a tissue, not cleaned after each use. There is not a range of skincare to use as the toner will be one brand, the moisturiser another and the mask bought from boots! Just last week one therapist performed a massage using baby oil as we did not have a message oil. Some of the therapists seem shady as well. There are stories of a lady working here that did not even have a qualification but was employed because she was the owners friend. There's another girl that is planning to start working that has only finished a waxing course and thinks that makes her qualified for all the treatments. I really don't know if I'm overreacting as this is my first job in a clinic but in beauty school we were trained to a higher standard than this and working alongside people who are barely qualified makes me feel like I am wasting my qualifications. Would like some input on this from people. Should I stay here or should I start looking for a new job?

I wouldn't leave so soon. It's your 1st job so wouldn't look good on cv to leave that quickly unless you get a better position elsewhere. Set yourself a limit eg a year. In that time work to your highest standards so you will be the therapist the others look to as an example of how to do things properly and clients will notice your professionalism and give good feedback. If in a year you still want to leave, you will be leaving a much more confident and experienced therapist and that will stand you in good stead at interviews.

Personally if it was me I would leave! I would not work under unprofessional standards, good luck x

Personally I would leave and not include the current salon on your CV as you've only been working there 1 month.

Reputations stick in this industry and if an employer or client hears that you worked in previously not very professional salon they may think that you aren't very professional either!

Also working in a salon which isn't very passionate (by the sounds of it) about high standards may make you lose your passion for the beauty industry!

Good luck [emoji4]

Sounds horrendous !
Run for the hills and don't look back or put it on your cv
[emoji33]

Thank you for your replies, that's what I was thinking working in a salon like this would just make me look worse in front of future potential employers. I think I will stick to this place till I finish off my laser ipl level 4 and see if I can find a more professional place. Glad to know I'm not overreacting and this place is of poor standards

Personally I would leave and not include the current salon on your CV as you've only been working there 1 month.

Reputations stick in this industry and if an employer or client hears that you worked in previously not very professional salon they may think that you aren't very professional either!

Also working in a salon which isn't very passionate (by the sounds of it) about high standards may make you lose your passion for the beauty industry!

Good luck [emoji4]

I totally agree! When I look at somebody`s CV, I always look up their previous salon and their standards because I always think that if their have worked in a salon, that have standards that are lower than mine, then they, will find it hard to adjust in a salon that expects higher standards as they have been used to working in this previous way.
I can`t understand how any of the therapists are expected to do a treatment without knowledge of the machine or products and products used from Boots! Don`t your clients say anything ? clients are so switched on now, about branding and product knowledge ? I personally wouldn't want to be put in this position, of putting my name on treatments like this.
As stated above, I would look for another job with a contract as soon as possible and maybe do some research on some clinics/salon before applying. What brands/machines are they using ? How long have the staff been there ? (normally on their website) Does it look clean ? So hopefully your next job is one that you can have proper training, learn and grow in this industry and for a company, that cares.

I agree, I should have done my research beforehand. I think I just got really excited about the invitation to work in an actual beauty environment that I've jumped to it immediately. So far the customers have not said anything about the products as I always try and recommend products that I know work and don't even mention the ones I am using on them. Plus the big part of our client base are one off bargain hunters that don't really care as long as they get the procedure

As an employer, I wouldn't judge you on where you have worked, I would judge you on how you work. My part time employee worked at a salon that had one needling roller that they cleaned between clients. The owner would shout at the staff in front of clients and she was totally unconfident. 18 months later and she's one of the best. I saw someone who wanted to thrive in this industry and that's what she's doing.

If you can, stick it out, but if it's awful and you do get a better job, leave. Within 2 years, they can get rid of you super easily. Contracts should be in place, but just because you have no contract doesn't mean you don't have rights.

Did they not discuss wages when you started? I would try and chase this up.

Let us know how you get on x

I would be extremely cautious about how you leave if you do decide to. Don't mention to them about how bad their services are or anything negative. You wouldn't want them bad mouthing you to clients or to other potential employers. If you're employed by them and they haven't provided you a contract I would have thought that was illegal as breaches their insurance and health and safety (even though it doesn't exactly sound like top of their priority!) I would also be aware that it doesn't sound like you'll be getting paid if they haven't even spoken to you about your bank details and you've been there for a full month.

I would leave as soon as possible 1. So you aren't working for free, and 2. So you're more flexible and available for interviews for a better opportunity. Because you don't have a contract you aren't obliged to give any sort of notice so don't let them talk you into staying for a month etc to work notice period. Out of courtesy I'd offer to work the week through and be paid for the time you have worked. Unfortunate situation but it a good way to learn and get experience about job hunting and what type of place to work for.

So just an update and I did get paid... Complete pennies. The owners excuse being that I did not provide them with the right paperwork for them to count my tax, so they're holding back part of my pay until they work out how much tax I need to pay. This was all discussed over a text message when I complained I didn't get paid. I used to make more money working less hours in a supermarket! I have also noticed that any bad reviews posted on the Facebook page are being deleted which makes sense as I'm pretty sure many people would be unhappy with this sort of service. I have decided to leave as soon as I get a chance. Would just like to know if potential employers would be weary of me working here for only a month and if I should just not bother putting them on my CV. Which would look worse- working for a month and leaving or a month's gap between employment?

If I was you I wouldn't even bother putting them on your CV. This salon sounds appalling! The best of luck in getting a new job where you can thrive and succeed.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty certain they can't hold your pay back for taxes?!!! If that has to be worked out then surely you should just be under br tax code for emergency taxes then pay less in another pay/be reimbursed by hmrc.

I definitely wouldn't put them on your cv. Better to have a gap of 1 month and say your previous contract ended or you were studying or something along those lines.

They can't normally withhold pay if it leaves you with less than national minimum wage.

Contact ACAS helpline number: 0300 123 1100

They will give you plenty of helpful advice.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty certain they can't hold your pay back for taxes?!!! If that has to be worked out then surely you should just be under br tax code for emergency taxes then pay less in another pay/be reimbursed by hmrc.

I definitely wouldn't put them on your cv. Better to have a gap of 1 month and say your previous contract ended or you were studying or something along those lines.
Exactly. If you didn't hand in a P45 when you started they should automatically deduct emergency tax until hmrc send out the correct tax code and then you will automatically be refunded any overpayment from the current tax year through your salary.

The lack of contract and not knowing what the pay is would be enough to make me leave. It sounds very exploitative.

And don't worry about your cv. Simply don't mention it on there. I used to be anxious of leaving jobs where I wasn't treated well in for the sake of the cv but now I think it's sadly normal for people to job hop in this industry because the quality of employment can be less than excellent.

Do what's best for you. It doesn't sound like a good place to be.

So just an update and I did get paid... Complete pennies. The owners excuse being that I did not provide them with the right paperwork for them to count my tax, so they're holding back part of my pay until they work out how much tax I need to pay. This was all discussed over a text message when I complained I didn't get paid. I used to make more money working less hours in a supermarket! I have also noticed that any bad reviews posted on the Facebook page are being deleted which makes sense as I'm pretty sure many people would be unhappy with this sort of service. I have decided to leave as soon as I get a chance. Would just like to know if potential employers would be weary of me working here for only a month and if I should just not bother putting them on my CV. Which would look worse- working for a month and leaving or a month's gap between employment?

Just read your update and it made me angry. Your so called employer is breaking the law and hoping that they can fob you off with weak excuses. Leave the salon as of tomorrow and report them to hmrc. People like that are making it difficult for people to get reliable work in this industry and so they shouldn't be left to get away with it.

Seriously just go awol. And don't worry about the cv. In my experience very few people make a big deal about a gap. The fact that you're doing level 4 already shows your dedication to the industry.

Thank you for everyone's replies. Yes, I think I will definitely have to leave as the owner just hired one of her friends to work as a therapist and she's only done a waxing course. When I asked if she has a full qualification she told me she did not want to bother with learning anatomy and diseases/ disorders so she's done the one day waxing course and thinks she is qualified lvl 2. This girl also intends to do a dermaroller course and start doing it in the clinic! I am completely shocked by how these people can allow this. Surely this is in breach of their insurance as she is not fully qualified to do any treatments apart waxing

Thank you for everyone's replies. Yes, I think I will definitely have to leave as the owner just hired one of her friends to work as a therapist and she's only done a waxing course. When I asked if she has a full qualification she told me she did not want to bother with learning anatomy and diseases/ disorders so she's done the one day waxing course and thinks she is qualified lvl 2. This girl also intends to do a dermaroller course and start doing it in the clinic! I am completely shocked by how these people can allow this. Surely this is in breach of their insurance as she is not fully qualified to do any treatments apart waxing

Exactly!! You aren't insured to do anything you arent qualified in! Get out as quickly as you can! I'm so sorry that's it's been such a bad experience for you!

So I've been off sick for a couple of days with a chest infection and this morning in a group chat I've read a message how someone has forgotten a client on a fat freeze machine and locked the clinic up and left! The client is traumatized and thinks of suing. Honestly for any other work place I would be really shocked but considering how things have been going for the month I've been with them I'm not really surprised

Latest posts

Back