Am I covered insurance wise if my boss sends me to a home visit?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
Hi,
My boss is going on holiday and has forgotten she has wedding hair to do next Saturday. It's for the bride, bride and groom's mother, three bridesmaids and made of honour.
I am a nail tech and will be going with the junior who obviously doesn't want to do it as she's never done a wedding before and wasn't even there for the trial.
She has asked me to take the junior.
It's outside of my working hours and means I will have to get childcare from around 6 in the morning, my boss doesn't even know the location it's in a hotel somewhere.
She is very UN organised and I don't think I will be covered for insurance if anything happens whilst we are working for her away from the salon.

I don't even know who she is insured with, surly she would have to add me and the junior and my car as my car is only insured for domestic not business to her insurance because there are no insurance details in the salon.

She is basically demanding us to go and we are a bit scared that if we don't she will fire us because that's what she's like

Last edited:
You're employed by the salon so it's her legal responsibility to cover you whilst you're employed so if an accident occurred, she must by law, pay up. She is also legally required to display a current insurance certificate in the salon.

I agree that your normal car insurance wouldn't cover business use other than to and from your normal place of work but it might be worth ringing your insurer to clarify the position before pointing this out to her.

As it's outside your normal working hours, you do not have to do it and she cannot force you.
(I would probably ask for extra pay plus the cost of childcare.)
However, how long have you been employed by her? If you meet the minimum requirements, she cannot just fire you for refusing to work in another location and outside of your normal hours especially as it involves you making childcare arrangements.
However, if you haven't worked there for long, you have less comeback if she does decide to let you go. I'd be inclined to start looking for a better employer or going self employed and renting a desk in your position.
She needs to get herself organised before she loses her business!

As someone who just got married in July, this is appalling. Does the bride even know the lady she booked to do her hair, had a trial with etc. is bailing on her? I'm not sure how you can just forget a wedding. Sure, it's just another client from a business perspective but it's a big deal to the bride and groom who probably spent a lot of money on their big day. If she is that un-organised she shouldn't take wedding bookings.

Weddings can be stressful enough as it is, having someone turn up who isn't your expected hair stylist isn't going to help and likely to cause big problems and outrage.

Your boss needs to grow some balls and not go on holiday or call and explain the situation and then if I was the couple involved I'd probably sue her!

This is appalling and terribly unprofessional of your boss. Is she a qualified stylist? Does the bride know she is going on holiday? She needs to arrange a meeting with the bride etc and offer new trials, free of charge! How the hell has she still got a shop?!

Latest posts

Back