Anxiety and gluten free

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babychops

Reaction score
I just wanted to write a post on here about my change in diet and anxiety because I know a lot of people on here suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and wanted to share my results. The reason I went gluten free is because I found out I have hashimotos (an autoimmune disease) and from doing a lot of research and speaking to doctors I found out a gluten free diet is essential! So I have been gluten free for a few months now and have also added some supplements like b12 and vitamin d. It took me a while to make the connection of this new diet and my anxiety totally disappearing! Being deficient in certain vitamins can heighten anxiety but doctors don't routinely test people for it! I found this out myself through private blood tests! I haven't felt anxious for a while now! It's totally gone! I no longer get anxious and nervous in social situations or when I go to the doctors etc! I know it's not something that will work for everyone but it's certainly something to think about and consider trying! X

How easy did you find it to go gluten free?

How easy did you find it to go gluten free?
At first it was abit difficult as I thought I had to only shop in the free from section at supermarkets but that's not the case! Once you start learning what you can and can't eat it gets a lot easier! It's annoying when you go to families or friends and they offer you a sandwich or something as I can't have it unless it's gluten free bread! But they are all starting to buy gluten free biscuits and rolls for when I am there. A lot of restaurants have gluten free options aswell so it's not too bad! It gets easier! I have joined the coeliac Facebook support group and that's really helpful! Every time I realise a certain food is gluten free I get really excited [emoji3][emoji3] lol I used to get really upset when people kept telling me it's just a fad and a load of rubbish but I don't care anymore! It's my life and I want to feel good! X

Apart from the anxiety have you noticed any other benefits? I only ask as I too have Hashimotos and have read many times that following a gluten free diet is beneficial but always found the idea too daunting.

Apart from the anxiety have you noticed any other benefits? I only ask as I too have Hashimotos and have read many times that following a gluten free diet is beneficial but always found the idea too daunting.

Iv noticed I have more energy and less "brain fog" if you know what I mean. I used to feel quite ill after eating certain meals but I don't get that anymore. I tried to re-introduce gluten but i had a reaction to it about 30 minutes after eating it so that showed me I do have an intolerance to it x

I just wanted to write a post on here about my change in diet and anxiety because I know a lot of people on here suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and wanted to share my results. The reason I went gluten free is because I found out I have hashimotos (an autoimmune disease) and from doing a lot of research and speaking to doctors I found out a gluten free diet is essential! So I have been gluten free for a few months now and have also added some supplements like b12 and vitamin d. It took me a while to make the connection of this new diet and my anxiety totally disappearing! Being deficient in certain vitamins can heighten anxiety but doctors don't routinely test people for it! I found this out myself through private blood tests! I haven't felt anxious for a while now! It's totally gone! I no longer get anxious and nervous in social situations or when I go to the doctors etc! I know it's not something that will work for everyone but it's certainly something to think about and consider trying! X

Thank you so much for posting this! I, too have Hashimoto's and have been on Synthroid or the generic for YEARS. I still feel lousy. Around November, I did some research, had my meds changed to a more natural thyroid hormone replacement and went gluten and dairy free. That lasted about 4 months.

In Feb, I found out I'm losing my job after 16+ years. That has lead to a self-pity party and I've been eating everything I can get my hands on...gluten and dairy free be damned.

I know I need to get back on track and your message is giving me the inspiration I NEED. Thanks so much! :)

Thank you so much for posting this! I, too have Hashimoto's and have been on Synthroid or the generic for YEARS. I still feel lousy. Around November, I did some research, had my meds changed to a more natural thyroid hormone replacement and went gluten and dairy free. That lasted about 4 months.

In Feb, I found out I'm losing my job after 16+ years. That has lead to a self-pity party and I've been eating everything I can get my hands on...gluten and dairy free be damned.

I know I need to get back on track and your message is giving me the inspiration I NEED. Thanks so much! :)

No problem! I'm glad I can inspire someone! I'm not on any medication atm as my thyroid function is ok(ish) atm although I'm slowly going hypo! I am high risk of my thyroid going out of whack after my baby is born as the same thing happened with my first! But at least the doctor is aware of it!
Good luck! X

@babychops I got told I had coeliac disease last year and I haven't been able to go over to gluten free as I'm very very fussy with my food and it's so hard! I feel like all I ever eat is chicken and veg! You've ,managed to do this whilst being pregnant as well is brilliant!

When my anxiety starts I'm left red raw as I scratch my chest a lot! I really wish I wasn't so fussy with my food so I could fully go to gluten free!

@babychops I got told I had coeliac disease last year and I haven't been able to go over to gluten free as I'm very very fussy with my food and it's so hard! I feel like all I ever eat is chicken and veg! You've ,managed to do this whilst being pregnant as well is brilliant!

When my anxiety starts I'm left red raw as I scratch my chest a lot! I really wish I wasn't so fussy with my food so I could fully go to gluten free!

It does seem really daunting and frustrating at the start but it's so important to do as by keep consuming gluten your doing so much damage inside [emoji30] especially if you have coeliacs!
You can still eat everything you like as there are alternatives available! Good luck x

I should get tested for coeliacs as they say hashimotos and coeliacs go hand in hand, but that doesn't mean you definitely have it. I was going to get a blood test but you have to start eating gluten for about 8 weeks before! Well I felt ill after eating one normal sandwich and thought I can't feel like that for 8 weeks and being pregnant aswell! I don't think I'll bother in the future! I know I have an intolerance so that's enough for me! X

TBH the blood tests are pointless mine came back borderline so sent me for cameras and biopsy I came back with I had it my sisters results fell in the positive bracket and her biopsy came back with negative x

It does seem really daunting and frustrating at the start but it's so important to do as by keep consuming gluten your doing so much damage inside [emoji30] especially if you have coeliacs!
You can still eat everything you like as there are alternatives available! Good luck x
I know! I tried it and I've put so much weight on sticking too it [emoji17][emoji17] wish it was as easy as taking tablets like lactose people can!

It is also a joke with medication I'm not aloud the pill because of it [emoji107]

Do you scratch your chest because of anxiety? I have this problem in my sleep sometimes! Used to be worse when I had bad anxiety, I'd also scratch my face all in my sleep.

Do you scratch your chest because of anxiety? I have this problem in my sleep sometimes! Used to be worse when I had bad anxiety, I'd also scratch my face all in my sleep.
Yeah because of my anxiety I can't stop doing it and it's weird things that set mine of x

Latest posts

Back