Any spa owners here? Got a few questions to ask

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellideb

Nails & Beauty
Reaction score
Hi! I'm going to be opening a salon that has more of a leaning towards spa treatments. I was looking for some ideas in particular around the relaxation room. Has anyone done this and what do you have in your spa?

I would recommend going to several spas and see how they operate, I have been confused by the modern trend of calling businesses a spa when they are clearly a beauty salon and have oft been disappointed when looking for spa days only to find the "spa" doesn't have a relaxation room, Jacuzzi or sauna etc.

Do lots of research, look at the websites of famous spas and see what they offer and the kind of products they use. Good luck.

I would recommend going to several spas and see how they operate, I have been confused by the modern trend of calling businesses a spa when they are clearly a beauty salon and have oft been disappointed when looking for spa days only to find the "spa" doesn't have a relaxation room, Jacuzzi or sauna etc.

Do lots of research, look at the websites of famous spas and see what they offer and the kind of products they use. Good luck.
Thank you! I've researched the term 'spa' and basically you need to be offering a water treatment to be able to use the term. so does a pedicure/mani with a soak count I wonder? Maybe that's how beauty salons get away with it?

No spa meaning water like hydro baths or saunas that sort of thing.

We had a huge salon in a hotel I worked at but couldn't use the spa name due to not having a sauna attached to our salon area.

Good suggestions to go view other spas or google them if you not physically able to go. I have been to many and most have water features with lovely plant or green house effects with loungers and all the awesome hugs one would expect when you hear the name spa!

Seems silly, but I kind of expect to walk around a "spa" in a robe & slippers without feeling self conscious!! Last spa I went to was Bath and it was so warm and quiet and lovely. I would also be disappointed if I couldn't bob around in a jacuzzi or hot pool for several hours!

Do look into the "legalities" of using the word Spa. A local salon had to change all her signage as it was considered misleading.
I don't know what your set up is, but running costs for a salon is high and I would question the financial implications of using a whole room for something that will generate no extra money. Obviously this depends on where your salon is - off the beaten track means lower rent and more of a destination.

We are in a barn in the middle of nowhere but concentrate on the more results driven, high end facials.

Good luck with it

Vic x

Latest posts

Back