Any suggestions please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlitzyGirl

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a little query someone might be able to help me with.
I have just found out that mydaughter has a friend who's mum manages a tanning salon at the bottom of my road. I see this girl everyday, but she just realised that I am a nail technician. She said she was impressed by my own nails and asked if I would consider renting a table there.
The thing is, they already have someone renting, but it's available for mondays & thursdays. She says there is no rent to pay, just percentage. But the problem is I don't have any client base. She was also keen when I said I do nail art and have a distinction in airbrushing. There does'nt seem to be anybody offering these in the area.
I know I am going on a bit now and probably confusing every1, but what I want to ask is
1 Do you think I should go for it, if I can?
2 What % should I aggree to?
3 Any suggestions to make it work and be good?

Thanks for all your advice in advance
Aylin

Percentage is normally about 25-20%. But it depends of she is supplying the products or you. If you, then will the other person be able to use them as you wouldn't want this to happen, particularly your airbrush? Who provides your insurance? Your advertising? What happens if you get a complaint when you're not there, will they back you up? Do you like the people in the salon? Is it a busy tanning salon? What would you do if the other lady's client came in for a repair, infills etc when you are working there and vice versa? Would you be using the same products?

If you don't have a client base then %age is a good way because if you don't have clients then you don't pay rent.

Lots to think about!! HTH

hi. i joined a tanning salon on a 25% of takings basis, initially just doing a couple of days a week. i had previously been mobile and had no local clients, but that wasn't a problem. i did the salon owner's nails and made sure that i was at my desk as much as possible so that people saw me!! i also made a big point of airbrushing nails for my board at lunch time so that people walking past stopped to watch!! it was a bit slow to start, but business isn't too bad at the mo!! the best thing you can do, is go over for a chat, make sure that whatever you decide is written down and maybe have a three month trial to see how things work out!! wish you all the best. let us know how things go. by the way, the salon i am in are advertising for another nail tech coz i can not commit to all the hours that they are open. i don't feel threatened by the possibility of another tech, as we will both bring different things to the salon. hopefully this will be the case in your situation as well.

GlitzyGirl said:
Hi all,
I have a little query someone might be able to help me with.
I have just found out that mydaughter has a friend who's mum manages a tanning salon at the bottom of my road. I see this girl everyday, but she just realised that I am a nail technician. She said she was impressed by my own nails and asked if I would consider renting a table there.
The thing is, they already have someone renting, but it's available for mondays & thursdays. She says there is no rent to pay, just percentage. But the problem is I don't have any client base. She was also keen when I said I do nail art and have a distinction in airbrushing. There does'nt seem to be anybody offering these in the area.
I know I am going on a bit now and probably confusing every1, but what I want to ask is
1 Do you think I should go for it, if I can?
2 What % should I aggree to?
3 Any suggestions to make it work and be good?

Thanks for all your advice in advance
Aylin
Hi, I am looking to work in a salon been mobile with not a lot of clients for a year still teething really I went to a tanning salon recently they had a space to rent for £70 for the week not bad if i had a lot of clients to start with,I also went to a tanning salon who wanted 25% of everything except my retail products and i got him down to20% said he was too greedy as I did all the work.But the problem with % is that as your client base grows so does their cut! On the other hand if you pay only rent they want it even if you are not there. my biggest problem would be starting off with no client base too. I dont mind advertising leaflet drop/balloons outside shop on a chosen opening day etc but if no one books then what.The last shop wanted money in advance!

Try asking that if you go in on these days that you pay a small amount until clienets build up, agree to a % and a trial time say 6 weeks or 3 months see how your clients are before committing to big %
are they taking bookings for you when you're not there and will they sell your retail for you etc and do you have public liability insurace also if they advertise will they include you in their ad.
Is the other person renting a nail tech?
Have your worked in a salon environment before? I havn't and would love to try, maybe you could tell me something i would like to learn lots.
cant tell you to go for it i think that is your own personal choice but if you do i wish you all the best of luck!!
bye for now HTH
DebsX

I've been renting for nearly a year now and although it has suited me I dont think that you have the ideal situation for a couple of reasons.

1) You are not the main tech so the tanning shop clients identify the other girl as the nail tech.
2) Are you using the same product and do you do the same treatments?
3) most of the clients will be using the beds - esp. in the summer and will come over, They will not realise that you are both independant workers - even if you tell them and will go to whoever is handiest for infills, repairs nad a paint job.
4) How will advertising work? will you share the cost?
5)As you airbrush and provide nail art customers will have to schedule the app around your working days not around their party, wedding etc. Clients will pop in and say can you airbrush my nails for me and chances are they'll be asking the wrong person! Might'n be good for the relationship between you.
6) will they display your art work when your not there - would you have the other techs board on your desk or at reception when your working if they did nail art - which they may choose to start doing if you are popular! Imagine 3 days of hearing how the OTHER techs designs were fab blah blah!! You do have a distinction and that might threaten the other tech

I dont mean to sound grim but these are things that I would check out. I jsut want you to question these points but there are loads of salons that operate on a rent only basis and do fabulously well.
You also have to remember that you have to build a relationship with the other tech too as if you away on hols/ill you might have to ask for a favour. These things do happen - I had to have a quite word with the staff here for using my things.

I do think you should go for it if you think its the right decision and the % is the better option - I worked out the most treatments I could do in a day and took away the percentage and thought that it was reasonable to pay for being there - Remember you have no client base so when your not working your not paying to be there!

Now I have gone on far too long - feel free to pm if you need any further info. I hope I dont sound negative but its best to be aware of these things.

Hope this helps

I take 40% of my nail tech (not including retail), as she uses my products, salon, advertising, reputation, facilities etc. If she has a busy week she is more than happy with her wage, and if she is quiet she doesn't have rent to pay just a smaller percentage.

Debbies Gellies said:
Hi, I am looking to work in a salon been mobile with not a lot of clients for a year still teething really I went to a tanning salon recently they had a space to rent for £70 for the week not bad if i had a lot of clients to start with,I also went to a tanning salon who wanted 25% of everything except my retail products and i got him down to20% said he was too greedy as I did all the work.But the problem with % is that as your client base grows so does their cut! On the other hand if you pay only rent they want it even if you are not there. my biggest problem would be starting off with no client base too. I dont mind advertising leaflet drop/balloons outside shop on a chosen opening day etc but if no one books then what.The last shop wanted money in advance!

So looking at it from another point of view what gain would the owner have? I dont think he was being greedy you need to look at it from both sides he has his rent/mortgage to pay too! By going the % route as you get busy the salon will obviosly benefit but have you considered the very small amount they will get for possibly months until you are busy?
They are there to make money and have their own bills to pay.

Debbies Gellies said:
Try asking that if you go in on these days that you pay a small amount until clienets build up, agree to a % and a trial time say 6 weeks or 3 months see how your clients are before committing to big %
are they taking bookings for you when you're not there and will they sell your retail for you etc and do you have public liability insurace also if they advertise will they include you in their ad.

DebsX

You should have your own insurance, this arrangement must benefit both of you to work. Advertising for example would you be prepared to contribute?
It cant be all one sided, you have to think of yourself but also you wouldn't want to build up a good clientele there for them to then turn around and say sorry we can earn more from this space by putting a retail stand there or another sunbed, spray tanner etc.

Latest posts

Back