Applying for hair jobs, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinnyjinbob

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Eeeeeek first post!!

I am just about to complete my NVQ level 3 in hairdressing and I am starting to think about applying for work in a salon. I'm incredibly nervous about going in to hand out CV's and how to present myself/ what to say?

I decided to go into hairdressing slightly later than many (I am
26 in July) and really worried that my age and lack of experience are going to go against me. I am older and already qualified so am unlikely to be taken on as an apprentice or salon junior, but then I will be considered too inexperienced to go in as a stylist. Many adverts for jobs locally want a minimum of 3 years salon experience for a stylist vacancy.

My college has a very good commercial salon which I worked in 3 days a week for the last year during my level 3 but I'm not sure this will be enough?

I feel confident in the standard of work that I do but my age and inexperience years wise is really making me nervous.

Does anyone have any tips? What would you say if I came in looking to work in your salon? Would you consider me for a junior or stylist role?

Any advice or opinions greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much :)

Hi & welcome

There is a big differance between qualified & experience.
I have been hairdressing for 13 years & it's all I have ever done. One of my fellas relation is more qualified than me but I wouldn't trust her to cut paper nevermind hair.

Hopefully if you are good at your job you will get somebody that my see something special in you.

Good luck

Last edited:
Get your friends and family around for a "free hair night" to celebrate.
Take before and after pictures of cuts, restyles, highlights, flashes, balayage, ombré, dip, root colour, change of colour, blow dries and hair up. Make a portfolio of your work with a little detail under the image such as "textured layers with sweeping fringe to show off red slices below". Keep your cv to a max of 2 pages. Dress smart but not in a tunic or other salon wear. X

Latest posts

Back