Are Colleges Allowed to Say This?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Glynis*

Gooner Geek
Reaction score
I have just read an advertisement in a free local glossy mag. A local training academy trying to sell their course state:

"....... due to new legislations in the nail industry, it will soon become compulsory for all practising nail technicians to complete their NVQ Unit 19"

What "legislations" and who will make it "compulsory"?????

I have nothing against the NVQ, but are colleges/trainers allowed to scare people into taking their courses by adding untrue information in their advertisements?

I may have got it wrong - again - but I thought that the Unit 19 was now no longer available as a course! And Compulsory NVQs are laid down by individual councils. Sounds like a bit of scaremongering to drum up businessto me!

Glynis, maybe you should contact them and ask them these questions LOL.

NO

Unit 19 no longer exists!!!!!

(Before anyone panics, this doesn't mean it doesn't count. It just mean it has been superseeded)

They need sorting out Glynis! Go ask the questions

By the way....what new legislations?????? New qualifications..yes. New Standards.....yes. New legislations.........?

Thanks Mum,

Nearly started panicking myself then! Glad you set the record straight!

Thanks everyone. You have all confirmed what I thought. I will ring them and the magazine first thing tomorrow. I can really get on my high horse about this sort of thing it makes me really cross. Advertise your training and how good your trainers are etc. but don't sell via cheap scare tactics.

ive been hearing for a while that there are new liscensing laws coming out for nails, to try and prevent 'dodgy' salons popping up everywhere.

What happened to the NVQ unit 19 then?? is there a whole NVQ just for nails now? beause i read somewhere that they were starting one, afterall it does deserve to be a qualification on its own! there is so much to learn!

x

Yes - there is a new NVQ3 just for nails which has just recently been introduced. Do a search - there are so many threads on this.

OK now I'm panicking!! I registered with VCTC last year, did my training and coursework and I take 3 assessments in May for my NVQ 2 & 3 units 9 & 19. Have I been conned???

I was aware that the system was being restructured and that there to be more assesments required before passing. I was feeling smug that I'd registered before the new rules came in.

OMG!!!! Someone calm me down.................

I have just reinvested money with Creative training even though I do hold two diplomas - L & P and Fibre. I did this because people said that this was the best training available and that it is even recognised more than an nvq. I guess we will heve to spend even more money now to get further education. :sad: I wish someone would clarify this from a governments point of view!
Jules

i think its down to each local boroughs council rather than government. just contact your local council and they will be able to help i would have thought. you can always let everyone else know what you found out from them too! I will try and get in touch with them today, and let you know what they say.

I have answered on many ocassions what the 'official' standing on this is.

Formal education is to be encouraged but........the only times when certain qualifications are required (officially) is for local authority licensing (and they all differ) and insurance purposes (and they all differ)

Education in all industries is changing all the time; growing technology, improved skills, new health and safety rules etc etc.

This industry has seen several big changes in a relatively short time. The biggest was last year when full NVQ's for the sector were introduced which superseeded the couple of units that were part of Beauty Therapy NVQ's.

So, again, NVQ's are NOT mandatory for anything. Formal qualifications (and there is a list of these, e.g VTCT etc) ARE required for some things like local licensing.

This doesn't meant that everyone can stop bothering! NVQ's are not mandatory for the hairdressing industry but no one who is a real professional would think of not taking them when they start their career!

As suggested earlier, there are many, manythreads on this subject on this site.

As for company training, this is something the company itself decides on.

ive been havin a look around but i cant seem to find anywhere that does NVQ in nail services. and i cant find much information on it, all ve found is:

Nail Services

Scheme Number : 3024
Award Type : NVQ
Level(s) : Levels 2-3
City & Guilds

About the qualification
The award at level 1 is designed for trainees and other salon staff working as technicians' assistants. Level 2 covers the essential skills required by a technician. A broader range of units at level 3 makes it suitable for senior salon staff.

id love to see a breakdown of the elements in the nvq if anyone knows where i can find it!!

xxx

This info is on here too in a previous thread.

Go to www.habia.org then to the beauty section, then 'downloads' then Occupational Standards then Nail Services (there may be a step in between) the whole structure is there.

Latest posts

Back