Are the Goldwell express toners a bit naff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GirlyGeek

Reaction score
In the newest goldwell colour chart / range their are six shades of colour defined as 'express toning' these are level 9: crème / champagne / silver
and level 10: crème / champagne / silver.

They come with their own developer and ratios, times etc.

Am I the only one who thinks they're a bit naff?
They just don't seem to get the same results as other toners I've used in the past. Is it because they're a separate product do you think? Is it the peroxide?

Anybody else agree?
Anybody recommend a better range.

I love them!

What you trying to use them for?

Colour - So far I've tried to use them for toning highlights and for darkening a very brassy bright blonde that had previously been hi-lift.

I don't know I just found that they didn't really ... tone on the highlights ... did nothing to help lessen shades that were thrown out.

They did when covering the hi-lift give a beautiful shade though :)

You have to make sure you are using the right level. If you are using a level 10 on hair that's not been lifted enough, it won't really tone, so you need to use a level 9 instead. That's what iv realised with them anyway lol x

I liked them if I just needed to tone a little bit, nothing too extreme as I didn't find them very strong.

I remember the Goldwell rep saying to me that you could leave them on for the full 5 mins development time and not worry about the hair taking on too much tone i.e using the silver and hair actually turning silver the way it might go too ashy or violety if using 10A or 10V and left on too long

They are soft toners, it sounds like you were doing some corrective work.

If you've lightened to a clean 9 then use silver as a cool tone, creme is neutral, champagne is warm. If you lighten to a 10 use the same in the 10 line. They are more 'hint of a tint'

They are quick and easy to use on average sets of highlights, for stronger corrective toners use 9BA and 10V etc (they can be left on up to 25mins)

Colour - So far I've tried to use them for toning highlights and for darkening a very brassy bright blonde that had previously been hi-lift.

I don't know I just found that they didn't really ... tone on the highlights ... did nothing to help lessen shades that were thrown out.

They did when covering the hi-lift give a beautiful shade though :)

You can really darken with them as they only have 9 or 10.

Don't know why but 'hint of a tint' made me smile ... seems really apt!

I'll have to give them a few more goes on cleaner lifts and see if I change my mind :)

Very pastel, to the point you can barely notice the result. Waste of time. Stick with regular colourance

I did some training with Goldwell not so long ago and used 10 champagne on my hair. I would have preferred the silver to get it whiter and probably would have done that unsupervised! The lady who trained me said that my hero it's are too yellow for the silver in this range to work. Maybe it's just a case of playing around with them to get used to them?

I prefer luocolour toners though x

They're really only for something with a clean lift or refreshing toners in between visits. Definitely not for corrective work e.g bright yellow,gold,orange highlights/tint/scalp bleach! Use normal colorance for these :)

I used the 10 silver on my hair last night but didn't feel it did very much. What would be best to brighten up my yellowish blonde. 10v? Or 10p? X

I used the 10 silver on my hair last night but didn't feel it did very much. What would be best to brighten up my yellowish blonde. 10v? Or 10p? X

I always liked 9A or 10A to get a nice clean blonde if it was slightly yellow x

Try the 10 champagne if not the 10p. Think 10v is too much for blondes?

I always liked 9A or 10A to get a nice clean blonde if it was slightly yellow x

I'll give that a try, do you know the mixture? I can't remember it, would colourance and 10A be ok, Or would topchic be better? I haven't toned with them in a while x

10 champagne is warm, like a natural gold tone so I don't think it would help your quest to get rid of the yellow.

9A and 10A don't exist in Colorance anymore sadly, they had a clear out a few years ago. Any cool shade would be good, personally I love 10BS. If your 10 lines aren't working for you mabybe your not light enough? Maybe try 10BS and 9BA mixed together if you don't want to use just a 9.

10 champagne is warm, like a natural gold tone so I don't think it would help your quest to get rid of the yellow.

9A and 10A don't exist in Colorance anymore sadly, they had a clear out a few years ago. Any cool shade would be good, personally I love 10BS. If your 10 lines aren't working for you mabybe your not light enough? Maybe try 10BS and 9BA mixed together if you don't want to use just a 9.

My profile picture is 10 champagne! I'm definitely not golden! :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396802880.794185.jpg so you can see better this is 10 champagne on my hair. XImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396802936.397073.jpg

It depends on what you have underneath, if your starting with yellow then to put a a champagne on which would be similar to a 10NG wouldn't give the starting result.

10 silver is the coolest option so if that didn't work then the others won't :)

Latest posts

Back