Baby name argument

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrissie5590

Reaction score
Sooo I’m currently 27 weeks pregnant with a baby boy. Me and my partner have chose a name that we love and kind of takes after my partners name which is Kyle. We’re calling our little boy Kyza. Last night at a family meal his nan told me I was being disrespectful and informed me “kaiser” is German for emperor and is what the Germans used to call hitler. I don’t feel like I’m being disrespectful I’m not naming him after him as some tribute I wasn’t even aware, I just like the name. At school we never really learnt about the German war and kids in school (at least in my area) don’t now. They learn about more recent wars. We ended up getting into a debate, I have lost family and friends during tours of iraq but have a friend surnamed Hussain, should I befriend her. Ian Brady was a disgusting man but she named one of her own sons Ian, does that make her disrespectful too.... and if North Korea started dropping bombs on every man and his dog would we ban the name Kim.... she said her main concern was they chanted “kaiser” my only reply was because they speak German. I speak English translated I’d be chanting emperor and I’m not naming my son emperor. It’s really really frustrated me I had to leave to table and go to the bathroom for an extra long wee! Am I missing something...?

What’s her history with the Germans? Is she Jewish?

No the only history she has is being a child during the war, she’s 80 so I assume 7-8 years old. I get her dad maybe fought in the war and maybe she lost family... but I’m not honouring anyone. It’s not like his name was kaiser it’s the German word for emperor I’m not naming him after hitler

I guess if that’s the first thing that came into her mind then I guess she’s sensitive about the subject.
And I do admit that Kyza does sound a bit like german. Ian and Kim are pretty common names, Kyza is something you came up with. No one is going to look how you write it but rather how you pronounce it. So be prepared for some bullying down the line and he might have some difficulty dealing with any Jews who are sensitive on the matter. WW2 is still a big thing no matter how you look at it.

Perhaps meet her halfway and think of another name starting with Ky? ( now that I’m thinking about it, I came up with Kyne which sounds like Cain? and he killed the 1/4 of the human population, namely Avel, according to the scripts). When you’re coming up with your own names there’s always going to be someone who objects to them.

But he’s your son. What matters is what makes you happy and who you wish to honour. Your son will know that and so will his father. Don’t let anyone tell you differently or dissuade you from an otherwise beautiful thought, including me.

No one else has mentioned it to me and I’ve told my friend this morning who had no idea either so I don’t no if it’s just her age that makes her more in the know and sensitive. I really don’t want to change it but also don’t want to come across as disrespectful to anyone as that wasn’t my aim.

From what I’ve read its African meaning born after twins. However I do get your point people will hear it rather than read it. It’s really put a downer on me x

I’m really astonished at the lack of history lessons you get at school to be honest

We learned about it obvs but not in great depth. My younger sister said they don’t learn about the German war at all in history any more. I’m not part of the school board and don’t choose what’s taught and I am also quite shocked they don’t learn it in more detail. I’ve been doing research as offense is something I don’t want at all. From my googling iv read that hitler didn’t take on the kaiser title but the fuhrer, which is how I know him, fuhrer. Which is probably why iv never heard this before. The last leader to take the kaiser title was the one before hitler who, from what iv read, quoted he was ashamed to be German after he heard how the Jews were treated under hitlers reign. I am going to carry on reading up today as like iv said it was never taught in great detail so things like this are unknown to me. All input welcome tho it’s never to late to learn

The idealist in me thinks let bygones be bygones and move on.

But the sensible part of me thinks that when naming a child you have to consider ALL possible repercussions for the child, and personally if there was anything negative whatsoever it's not what I'd be wanting for mine.

Absolutely agree that how it's spelt is of no consequence. There are thousands of names, there must be something out there!

What was it you liked about Kyza? Try and analyse that and you might be into something you like. The unusualness? The k and z sound? The rhythm of it in which case maybe something with a similar sound and different consonants ?

You could still just go for it tbh if you love it, but be prepared.

I’m definitely going to educate myself more on the subject and apologies of my ignorance if u want to call it that. It’s hard to word what I mean without causing offence to anybody my school education was more on the wars that are more recent and my only first hand experience is the horrors that have happened in my life time. I don’t know anyone who fought in that war, I don’t no any Jewish people and I’m not fully educated I do hold my hands up to that

I’m definitely going to educate myself more on the subject and apologies of my ignorance if u want to call it that. It’s hard to word what I mean without causing offence to anybody my school education was more on the wars that are more recent and my only first hand experience is the horrors that have happened in my life time. I don’t know anyone who fought in that war, I don’t no any Jewish people and I’m not fully educated I do hold my hands up to that

"Kaiser" is indeed German for Emperor. However the history of the English language negative views on the term Kaiser relates to the First World War 1914-18 and has nothing to do with Hitler or WW2, so not in the living memory of anyone who may be objecting to the name you want to give your son. The Kaiser in question was Wilhelm who was the gransdson of our Queen Victoria. Basically it was his policies that helped to bring about WW1 and thats where the negativity arises.

That’s where my confusion was as I know hitler as fuhrer not kaiser. I personally think to much thought is going into it, it’s just a name. No one my age or younger associates it with anything negatively so far and I just think that’s the times changing. Many names can be associated with negativity and I don’t understand the connection with hitler. Wilhelm yes. But then aren’t we all hypercritical for the admiration given to our royal family who are relatives of the kaiser in question. Hitlers wife was called Eva a very popular name I can’t imagine as his wife she was anti what he did. Maybe I’m just being ignorant to the whole thing I really don’t no

That’s where my confusion was as I know hitler as fuhrer not kaiser. I personally think to much thought is going into it, it’s just a name. No one my age or younger associates it with anything negatively so far and I just think that’s the times changing. Many names can be associated with negativity and I don’t understand the connection with hitler. Wilhelm yes. But then aren’t we all hypercritical for the admiration given to our royal family who are relatives of the kaiser in question. Hitlers wife was called Eva a very popular name I can’t imagine as his wife she was anti what he did. Maybe I’m just being ignorant to the whole thing I really don’t no
Out of interest I asked my daughters (18 & 20) if the name Kyza held any significance for them ..... none whatsoever. They're pretty well educated and both at university but it meant nothing ... so if they did learn about it, it's either been forgotten or not been worth remembering. x

Yes, I think your nan was being a bit silly to criticise your choice of name, especially when she's got her German WW 1&2 history a bit muddled.

However, I always think it's a good idea to not tell anyone your chosen name until the baby is born and then it's a done deal. Only really rude and insensitive people would deem it ok to comment negatively on your chosen name at that point. In which case, I'd ignore them!

My lovely mother in law didn't really like my son's name but she only made a mildly negative comment once and then accepted it.

Out of interest I asked my daughters (18 & 20) if the name Kyza held any significance for them ..... none whatsoever. They're pretty well educated and both at university but it meant nothing ... so if they did learn about it, it's either been forgotten or not been worth remembering. x
This is what I mean - i think maybe it’s an age thing. I don’t no how I feel about it to me it’s not offensive and people in my age group it isn’t either which makes me believe by the time my son is at school it won’t be offensive either as that’s a good 10+ years away. My partner hasn’t been fazed about it, he said ignore her she always feels like she has to have her pennies worth however it’s really bothered me x

What about the Kaiser Chiefs? (The band) no one seemed to mind them using the moniker?

My first thought on hearing the name Kyza (Kaiser) would have been you were into music. Im 37,so maybe its an age thing... xx

I've heard the name before. I think it's more popular in America. I didn't think of anything negative.

Choose whichever name you love and everyone else will learn to love it too x

Thanku everyone you’ve made me feel a lot better about it all. I don’t want to change it as I do love it x

Latest posts

Back