Balayage not as expected

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krum

Reaction score
I wondered if I could have some advice on what to ask for next time as this balayage was not as I thought it would be.
I thought it would be more natural, streaky and graduated, not a block colour all the way up the high.
And that the colour wouldn't be so warm.

What's the best thing for me to ask for next time so it looks more natural, graduated and a nicer colour?

Thank you!
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1480853853.502642.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1480853884.353989.jpg

What did you ask for?
Balayage is freehand hair painting and is a difficult technique to master without proper training and an eye for creative placement.

Have you seen any other examples that your hairdresser has done?

I asked for balayage. I'd seen examples of work the salon had done. They had lots on their FB page and it looked great.

The pics I showed as examples of what I'd like were:
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1480924754.862748.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1480924784.127484.jpg

What you have is nothing like those pictures, so I'm wondering if the pictures on their pages were actually done by them or just nabbed from somewhere else?

I think you need to go straight back and ask them to put it right this time, and tell them you'd like it done by the hairdresser who did the balayage work that's on their Facebook page.

They shouldn't agree to perform a service and charge for it unless they know they can do it properly. You wouldn't allow someone to 'have a go' at servicing your gas boiler if they weren't properly trained, would you?

That is simply a poor job.... I would go back and ask for it to be re done by the technician who's work was on facebook!... when I do this technique I foil, freehand and do colour in between.... This looks like she has slapped it on! X

It's been too long now.
I know I should have gone back but I didn't.

I'm going to go to a different hairdressers next time (although I don't know where as this place is seen as one of the best in my city!).
I just want to know what to ask for so I get the right result?

Oh I see!

Of course .... But you asked for the right thing my love! They just didn't do it.

Wherever you go next time pick a tone eg warm or cool. (the top pic you sent us is a pearl toned blonde with an ashy base in between & the second is a beige /creamy blonde with what looks like a 6.7 in between) Then say you want foiled balyage /multi-tonal effect. Take this to the hairdresser and he /she will know what I'm on about. Alternatively check out my instagram account and if you see one you like I'll send you the colour u used to achieve it if you like? @giinger_hairboutique

Good luck xx

Oh I see!

Of course .... But you asked for the right thing my love! They just didn't do it.

Wherever you go next time pick a tone eg warm or cool. (the top pic you sent us is a pearl toned blonde with an ashy base in between & the second is a beige /creamy blonde with what looks like a 6.7 in between) Then say you want foiled balyage /multi-tonal effect. Take this to the hairdresser and he /she will know what I'm on about. Alternatively check out my instagram account and if you see one you like I'll send you the colour u used to achieve it if you like? @giinger_hairboutique

Good luck xx

Thank you for your help!
I went into another hairdressers and they said they'd have to dye a lot of it brown again to cover the block blonde colour. She said root smudge? Then tone and gloss. Is that right?

Your work is beautiful.
I have been brave and called the original salon now! The other place convinced me to and they are going to take a look.
I found this on your insta
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1481119603.806277.jpg

It's lovely and I think the root similar to my natural colour. How is this achieved? Can I go from what I am now to that?

Thank you so much!

Yeah easily! Root drag/smudge the top section with some thicker 'peices' running through to match the roots, baby lites (really thin bleached foils) & random free hand pieces when this is all on.x

Yeah easily! Root drag/smudge the top section with some thicker 'peices' running through to match the roots, baby lites (really thin bleached foils) & random free hand pieces when this is all on.x

I went back. She was really awkward with me!
They tried to charge me saying putting brown back through was a different service. But I didn't want brown! I wanted my natural colour not b

*pressed too soon.
My natural colour not bleached!
She said I'd asked for the ends all bleached but I'd say the ends aren't all the way up to near the root are they?
She basically said I'd asked for the wrong thing but I did show pics and it's not at all like them.
So they said they will do a T section on lowlights and toner. Haven't had it done yet.
Will this help?
Thank you.
Xx

To be honest, she sounds like she's a bit clueless.

In level 2, you just learn basic colouring techniques and that's fine for the majority of clients. However, what you want requires more creativity and I suspect that they don't have much experience of freehand balayage especially as she's talking about using a T section, which will involve using uniformly placed foils and will not give you the look you're after.

Seriously, I think you'll have to find another colourist. They might be the best known salon locally but perhaps they don't do much continuing education to keep their skills updated?

Can you ask around for recommendations? Years ago, I asked a lady working at the checkout where she got her hair done as it looked lovely and was exactly what I wanted.

To be honest, she sounds like she's a bit clueless.

In level 2, you just learn basic colouring techniques and that's fine for the majority of clients. However, what you want requires more creativity and I suspect that they don't have much experience of freehand balayage especially as she's talking about using a T section, which will involve using uniformly placed foils and will not give you the look you're after.

Seriously, I think you'll have to find another colourist. They might be the best known salon locally but perhaps they don't do much continuing education to keep their skills updated?

Can you ask around for recommendations? Years ago, I asked a lady working at the checkout where she got her hair done as it looked lovely and was exactly what I wanted.

Put perfectly.... I totally agree. It is her responsibility to ensure during the consultation that she can do what you have asked for if a client gives me a picture I usually ignore what she asks for simply due to the fact visually she's explained everything she needs to! Clients do not use the same terminology we do (I'm sure that's the case in your job) and sometimes there's a but of confusion!

Go somewhere else love.... She can't do what you have asked. A T-section will only conceal the problem. You won't be able to wear your hair up or flick your hair over x

Latest posts

Back