Beauty associations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clairehams26

Reaction score
I would like to signup to a beauty/nail association but not sure where any recommendations?

The is BABTAC, The Guild and ABT that I know of.

Do you not need to get their insurance to join?
No you don't you can join as a yearly membership & receive window sticker, membership cert & pin badge x

How much does I cost to join n Babtac do you know please? X

I paid £79 for my BABTAC insurance and that was a special price at the beauty show in Feb x

BABTAC, and ABT are basically just insurance providers

The Guild is more or less just an insurance and training provider.

The only only main independent Beauty associations we have that are not always trying to sell you something are, The National Hairdressers Federation (NHF) and the Association Of Nail Technicians (ANT).

The cost of joining them as an individual is roughly the same, The National Hairdressers Federation you pay £140 a year however you have to pay it yearly in advance. The Association Of Nail Technicians (ANT) you pay £14 a month and no up front costs. They both represent different parts of the industry and most people choose the one they offer most services in to join.
Although if you just starting up the Association Of Nail Technicians might be a better choice as they build you a website for free, which you will need and could safe you a lot of time and hassle.

There is also the guild of beauty therapists x

There is also the guild of beauty therapists x

Yeah if its the same one im thinking about, I think they kinda renamed and just call themselves "the guild" now. Although they seem to have a whole bunch of different logos with all sorts written below the words "the guild". As i said they just seem to be wanting to sell you insurance/training now rather than offering any real kind of support.

The only only main independent Beauty associations we have that are not always trying to sell you something are, The National Hairdressers Federation (NHF) and the Association Of Nail Technicians (ANT).

HABIA are the government appointed authority & Sector Skills Council for the hair & beauty industry. They are an independent not for profit organisation who are responsible for setting National Occupational Standards & industry codes of practice.

Their annual membership is £38. Below quote taken from their website:

"Habia in partnership with SkillsActive owns and operates the Professional Register for Beauty Professionals. The register is the first voluntary and independent register for the industry supported from the Government via UK Commission for Employment and Skills (UKCES). The aim is to ensure individuals working within the industry meet National Occupational Standards and are fully competent to conduct treatments and service to consumers."

You get a membership card & can apply for marketing materials. You also go on a searchable database which can be accessed by consumers.

I have briefly skimmed the ANT website. They don't state they are a not for profit? There are also numerous typos, much of the information is incorrect & their interface is extremely poor. It seems like a bad quality business advisory tool to assist those starting up. Having looked at their membership packages they seem to be selling services - website etc. I could be totally wrong. I've literally scanned the site. But if they are selling services for profit then I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. They certainly don't present a professional image.

Last edited:
Yeah if its the same one im thinking about, I think they kinda renamed and just call themselves "the guild" now. Although they seem to have a whole bunch of different logos with all sorts written below the words "the guild". As i said they just seem to be wanting to sell you insurance/training now rather than offering any real kind of support.

Yes your correct x

HABIA are the government appointed authority & Sector Skills Council for the hair & beauty industry. They are an independent not for profit organisation who are responsible for setting National Occupational Standards & industry codes of practice.

Their annual membership is £38. Below quote taken from their website:

"Habia in partnership with SkillsActive owns and operates the Professional Register for Beauty Professionals. The register is the first voluntary and independent register for the industry supported from the Government via UK Commission for Employment and Skills (UKCES). The aim is to ensure individuals working within the industry meet National Occupational Standards and are fully competent to conduct treatments and service to consumers."

You get a membership card & can apply for marketing materials. You also go on a searchable database which can be accessed by consumers.

I have briefly skimmed the ANT website. They don't state they are a not for profit? There are also numerous typos, much of the information is incorrect & their interface is extremely poor. It seems like a bad quality business advisory tool to assist those starting up. Having looked at their membership packages they seem to be selling services - website etc. I could be totally wrong. I've literally scanned the site. But if they are selling services for profit then I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. They certainly don't present a professional image.

I really wish you had not wasted your time posting your message. It is factually incorrect and very misleading, there are so many points wrong with it I hardly know where to start correcting you.

I assume that you are fairly new to the industry as any seasoned nail technician would know more about HABBIA and ANT than you seem to do.

Firstly the original post was about beauty/nail association recommendations. To recommend something you would have to have used it, or at least know a lot about it. You clearly know very little about HABIA and your comments about ANT are absurd to say the least.

The cost to join HABIA is NOT £38! they have 3 membership levels
HABIA INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP - Cost £15 a year - Basically all you get is a membership badge and a magazine 3 times a year.
HABIA CORPORATE PARTNER - Cost £2,394.00
HABIA CORPORATE SUPPORTER - Cost £474.00

The information you copied and pasted is not about HABIA membership, it is about the register of beauty professionals that is run by HABIA. You pay them £38 to get onto a register that they run, you do not get HABIA membership. It is also clear that you are not on this register as you would know that it is a total waste of money. The register to my knowledge has never worked right and they have had a notice stating "We are currently updating the search function for the register of beauty professionals, please come back soon to search for a professional near you." for as long as I can remember. The main reason people dont join this register is the fact it is currently is not worth paying for.

If you had any dealings at all with HABIA you would know that anything to do with them is normally quite expensive and most likely why the staff member here did not recommend them to the original poster.

In respect of ANT when you "literally scanned the site" then came on here and posted a load of rubbish, you just made yourself look quite foolish and immature. Once again everything you said about this organisation is incorrect. ANT are non-profit, its all over the site how you missed this fact is beyond me. Since you like copying and pasting I copied this from their site for you

"For our members we keep them up to date with the latest industry news and help them to develop their business to increase their income. Unlike other organisations who seem only interested in selling their members more training, beauty products, etc we work with you to develop your business and ideas.
Our only source of income is our membership fees and we promise to never sell our members any additional services or training courses. "

All over their member information page it states they will give you a free website if you need one, why you would think they would charge someone when it is pointed out so many times that it is free really is quite silly. As you stated "I could be totally wrong" well I can confirm that you are totally wrong hun.

In future it might be best if you spent more time researching before commenting on things you seem to know very little about.

Take Care X

Nope, I'm not buying it.

Looking at the webpage, ANT appears to be a hobbyist website builder based in someone's home in a small northern town.

To suggest it's remotely in the same league as HABIA is frankly ludicrous.

"We represent our members and the industry as a whole to ensure that people offering nail services receive recognition for their hard work in this rapidly growing business sector."

Who are they making representations to?
What kind of recognition is being ensured?
Hard work? How is this quantified?

It's an entirely meaningless bit of advertising verbiage. Unfortunately, the website seems to be full of it.

I really wish you had not wasted your time posting your message. It is factually incorrect and very misleading, there are so many points wrong with it I hardly know where to start correcting you.

I assume that you are fairly new to the industry as any seasoned nail technician would know more about HABBIA and ANT than you seem to do.

Firstly the original post was about beauty/nail association recommendations. To recommend something you would have to have used it, or at least know a lot about it. You clearly know very little about HABIA and your comments about ANT are absurd to say the least.

The cost to join HABIA is NOT £38! they have 3 membership levels
HABIA INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP - Cost £15 a year - Basically all you get is a membership badge and a magazine 3 times a year.
HABIA CORPORATE PARTNER - Cost £2,394.00
HABIA CORPORATE SUPPORTER - Cost £474.00

The information you copied and pasted is not about HABIA membership, it is about the register of beauty professionals that is run by HABIA. You pay them £38 to get onto a register that they run, you do not get HABIA membership. It is also clear that you are not on this register as you would know that it is a total waste of money. The register to my knowledge has never worked right and they have had a notice stating "We are currently updating the search function for the register of beauty professionals, please come back soon to search for a professional near you." for as long as I can remember. The main reason people dont join this register is the fact it is currently is not worth paying for.

If you had any dealings at all with HABIA you would know that anything to do with them is normally quite expensive and most likely why the staff member here did not recommend them to the original poster.

In respect of ANT when you "literally scanned the site" then came on here and posted a load of rubbish, you just made yourself look quite foolish and immature. Once again everything you said about this organisation is incorrect. ANT are non-profit, its all over the site how you missed this fact is beyond me. Since you like copying and pasting I copied this from their site for you

"For our members we keep them up to date with the latest industry news and help them to develop their business to increase their income. Unlike other organisations who seem only interested in selling their members more training, beauty products, etc we work with you to develop your business and ideas.
Our only source of income is our membership fees and we promise to never sell our members any additional services or training courses. "

All over their member information page it states they will give you a free website if you need one, why you would think they would charge someone when it is pointed out so many times that it is free really is quite silly. As you stated "I could be totally wrong" well I can confirm that you are totally wrong hun.

In future it might be best if you spent more time researching before commenting on things you seem to know very little about.

Take Care X
Even if you disagree there's no need to be so rude. You obviously think you're supremely clever and feel a need to prove it but it seems you lack emotional intelligence. The vitriol in your comments certainly do not make for pleasant reading. You state Willowrose has made herself look foolish and immature? You have made yourself look like a nasty b***h, hope that's the look you were going for.....and btw who the hell are you to tell anyone they shouldn't have wasted their time commenting on a public forum? Not that smart, after all. No need to reply.
'Fake take care'

I was being diplomatic. I remember ANT from 10ish years ago when it was the pet project of a salongeek member. It changed control, sunk without trace. I thought perhaps it had evolved so double checked & found quite the opposite...

I can see no inaccuracy in my post? I discussed the database membership as it includes a useful business tool. As such it seemed the better option & good value at £38. It comes with the same Habia branded marketing as the association membership.

I hold the database & association membership. It hasnt generated much business but then that isn't a core function of belonging to a professional association. Mostly one joins an association for prestige & image enhancement. As such HABIA is a strong choice as the leading industry authority for the beauty sector.

Latest posts

Back