Beauty therapist administering botox/injecting fillers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But you are completely wrong, you dont have to be a nurse (or a Dr in fact) to do injectables! In fact do you realise that your own regulators are trying to STOP you nurses doing these treatments. Sally Taber (IHAS) has even spoken out recently to say that nurses shouldnt be injecting and there are more and more guidelines been put in place for restriction where its becoming almost impossible for nurses to do injectables or lose your registration.

By the way I did a 2 year BTEC course in Beauty Therapy Sciences and then another 2 years HND following that. Mostly A&P related.

You have misinterpreted this. Sally Taber (IHAS) is most definitely NOT stopping nurses administering injectables! That would be ridiculous considering the nature of what nurses do on wards up and down the country every day for goodness sake! What IHAS and the NMC (Nursing & Midwifery Council) are referring to is the practice of remote prescribing - ie administering botox/dental blocks and other POM's without holding a prescribing qualification. This is a completely different issue and you are confusing the two. Nurses administering botox without a prescribing qualification is against NMC standards for medicines management (rightly so) and IHAS have endorsed this information on their website. Nothing to do with dermal fillers (or 'these treatments' as you refer).

I'm saying you can't legally possess the 'tools' epinephrine pens are prescription only medicines!

Can you lists it's mode of action? Contraindications? Side effects?

Can you give chlorphenamine and hydrocortisone?

NO! And if you had the epi pen obviously you'd try to save someone let's not turn this into a meaningless debate.

The more serious question is how does a BT get their hands on these PRESCRIPTION ONLY drugs?!
The same way you did before you were an injector I would supose. Im also a non-medic Aethetic Therapist and happen to have stumbled over by accident the misguided and incorrect threads relating to non medics who carryout botox and filler treatments.
I also have a Doctor who I work closely with who prescribes for me and others (as well as nurses), Ive completed an Anaphalactic managemnet and basic life supoport courses to give me the knowledge to help someone in the very inlikely event that someone had a reaction which was life threatening. You will find that most non-medics have also done this course! Our DR is more than happy that we cover ourselves with an Epi Pen as a precaution.
What did YOU do before you were a prescriber botox boy? Who supplied YOU with your POM then. Did YOU comply with rules and regulations that you whine on about, and are YOU still complying. Just because you are a NIP doesnt mean to say you can brush over the law, you still have to do what we do and thats to practice legally!

You have misinterpreted this. Sally Taber (IHAS) is most definitely NOT stopping nurses administering injectables! That would be ridiculous considering the nature of what nurses do on wards up and down the country every day for goodness sake! What IHAS and the NMC (Nursing & Midwifery Council) are referring to is the practice of remote prescribing - ie administering botox/dental blocks and other POM's without holding a prescribing qualification. This is a completely different issue and you are confusing the two. Nurses administering botox without a prescribing qualification is against NMC standards for medicines management (rightly so) and IHAS have endorsed this information on their website. Nothing to do with dermal fillers (or 'these treatments' as you refer).
Dasyl, I was at a seminar a while back where Sally T talked openly about nurses loosing their registration if they continued to administer botox, even if it was via a prescription, via a Dr. She even asked the nurse to tell her who the Dr was? There was a nurse there who was shot down by her when she asked her to clarify the situation. Sally T has also openly and publicily confirmed that she does not believe that nurses should be carrying out botox treatments! And thats a fact.
If you look at the board members of the treatments you can trust, you will be very suprised to see that 99.9% of them are 'aesthetic Doctor lead' companies who have a vested interested in stopping us all (unless you are a Dr) whether you are a nurse or Aesthetic Therapist. I rest my case. Rant over!

The same way you did before you were an injector I would supose. Im also a non-medic Aethetic Therapist and happen to have stumbled over by accident the misguided and incorrect threads relating to non medics who carryout botox and filler treatments.
I also have a Doctor who I work closely with who prescribes for me and others (as well as nurses), Ive completed an Anaphalactic managemnet and basic life supoport courses to give me the knowledge to help someone in the very inlikely event that someone had a reaction which was life threatening. You will find that most non-medics have also done this course! Our DR is more than happy that we cover ourselves with an Epi Pen as a precaution.
What did YOU do before you were a prescriber botox boy? Who supplied YOU with your POM then. Did YOU comply with rules and regulations that you whine on about, and are YOU still complying. Just because you are a NIP doesnt mean to say you can brush over the law, you still have to do what we do and thats to practice legally!

I have only ever practiced Botox and fillers as a prescriber and I worked damned hard to get here.

I think the type of person you really are is revealed when you say my responses are 'whining'. People are allowed to disagree with you.

I for one am horrified at your responses and the way you conduct yourself and my main concern is for the clients. Just because as a non medic you can't get in trouble from the NMC or GDC doesn't make it right.

In fact, the opposite of this is true, because you are accountable to nobody and the person directing you to administer a POM is taking full responsibility for your actions for profit.

Anyway, I think there's no point discussing this further, I've made myself clear and wish you good luck.

This seems to be a topic which generates quite heated debates and I think it has been done and dusted now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back