Becoming over familiar in business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virtues2011

Reaction score
My irritation within hair and beauty salons are the words "Hun", "Darling", "Love", "Sweetheart", Babe" and any other unprofessional terminology that stylists and therapists use towards their clients. I can understand a little easier if the stylist and the client have a very good relationship but to be called this when calling for an appointment, or your first time at a salon really does put me off to the point where I will not return regardless of how good the therapist/stylist is. I do not allow my staff to call any clients any of the above! Am I the only one that thinks like this???? (yes I know this happens in more industries but this is a hair and beauty forum....)!!

I don't like it either, I NEVER say it out loud but if a client texts me starting with 'hi Hun,' I usually respond similarly as it seems to be how they are comfortable and it seems friendlier, I only do this if they initiate though! I cringe when people call me 'babe' etc in person, I always wonder if maybe they just can't remember my name?...

I totally agree!! I work with someone who does this all the time, even with new clients and clients that are not his, ie unfamiliar to him.
Drives me mad lol

I am a norf london girl, and have the habit of calling people 'my darling'.
Working the stalls down Petticoat Lane and saying 'Cheers my darling' was par for the course.
I don't say it to everyone, but my client retention would indicate they don't mind.

We all have our different ways of working, and I'm sure mine can be overly familiar sometimes, but I also think I'm very good at reading people, so would never do it without knowing someone, and would probably never do it to the OP!!!

Vicki x

I don't want to over generalise but I think this is a very regional thing. I'm from the north so people calling you "love", "sweetheart" or "flower" is completely normal and not being overly familiar.

I do remember having a university tutor from Oxford who got mega offended when one of the other tutors called him "mate" he came into our class raging about it and couldn't fathom how this wasn't him being talked down to.
I guess it's just what you've grown up with. :)

It's disrespectful. HATE it being done to me too. Lack boundaries some of these beauty professional would benefits from a month or so in a finishing school to polish them up a bit. We're beauty professionals not market traders or local dive bar maids. I have met people quite successful in this profession that behave like this and it just makes me feel terrible middle class and I cringe, they remind me of rather rough and ready dinner ladies I had at my school! Don't get it perhaps someone could explain to me.

I don't want to over generalise but I think this is a very regional thing. I'm from the north so people calling you "love", "sweetheart" or "flower" is completely normal and not being overly familiar.

I do remember having a university tutor from Oxford who got mega offended when one of the other tutors called him "mate" he came into our class raging about it and couldn't fathom how this wasn't him being talked down to.
I guess it's just what you've grown up with. :)

A north thing or a class thing? I'm asking this being serious plenty people in scotland will call you hen, Hun, babe but they're lets say unrefined!

I must admit I do struggle with this. Round here one is called "duck" "duckie" and "love".
I have had to learn that the checkout attendants in the supermarkets are just being friendly when they ask "so what are you guys up to tonight, then?" Coming from a country where the language is more formal, having a polite form of address and a familiar form for friends, you can imagine the look on my face!
I don't mind so much if it is said as part of the local patios, but I don't like to be spoken to in the hairdressers as if I was best mates with the staff.
This probably makes me sound like a snob. Perhaps I am. ??

I'm probably going to get slated but what's the harm?
I am a really down to earth person as is my salon and my clients come to me knowing that I am the same as them just because I run my own business does not make me any better than them they put food on my table at the end of the day and they are quite happy and comfy been in my company.
I call my clients Hun a lot client walks in ' hi Hun how are you' client goes to put there hand in the nail lamp 'can you just pop your fingers in hun' it doesn't effect how well I do my job and if they don't like it I'm sorry but I don't care I'm clean and professional and saying Hun doesn't change how I do my job x

Last edited:
It's disrespectful. HATE it being done to me too. Lack boundaries some of these beauty professional would benefits from a month or so in a finishing school to polish them up a bit. We're beauty professionals not market traders or local dive bar maids. I have met people quite successful in this profession that behave like this and it just makes me feel terrible middle class and I cringe, they remind me of rather rough and ready dinner ladies I had at my school! Don't get it perhaps someone could explain to me.

That's me my darling - market trader turned beauty therapist!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't use any of the words mentioned in work or private life, it doesn't really bother me but sometimes I think hun can be a bit sarcastic sounding ,i think my lovely is cute but no one would say that where I come from, Aberdeen :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

A north thing or a class thing? I'm asking this being serious plenty people in scotland will call you hen, Hun, babe but they're lets say unrefined!

On my god I cringe at hen! I remember our dinner lady at primary school used to say it all the time.

Oh and "doll" emm no just don't,

My uncle used to call me "pet" why pet? I'm not a bloody pet

From Glasgow

Duck makes me laugh. It's my boyfriends pet name for me and I didn't even know it was a thing until ringing up my car insurance and she said it after every sentence. There's using and there's over using!

I think it's a northern thing but I really don't mind either. The only one that winds me up is Love and that's because a girl at work says it every other sentence!
My Nan called everyone duck or ducky :)
I like hon, chic, babe. I think it's cheery. And all the lads round here say mate & pal quite a lot :)

Laura xx

Thank you everyone for replying. It is interesting to hear different views. I know everyone is different and I understand that. It is probably my boarding school background and the last twenty years of my working life in Senior Management ...not sure how i'd get away addressing Board Members, Shareholders and CEO's with "Hi Hun or Alright mate" ....I am grinning just thinking about it though. I would be distraught if my staff called me mate or hun....or any clients for that matter..lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

So because i say 'babe' 'hun' 'chick' 'lovely' im basically a crap therapist?!?!?!? Every area is different and by me its the norm to call people that, it DOES NOT make anybody a worser therapist, aslong as the jobs done proffesionaly and sanitary whats the problem?
I understand some people dont like it but why criticise people for using these words?!??? It doesnt make them a bad therapist! To me its friendly talk

Thats just my opinion anywat

<3

And I don't think its a class thing. Most if our clientele are very classy ladies, a lot more than me! Hehe. And they say hon and darling all the time.

I think it's an area thing.

They do say people in Yorkshire are the friendliest you'll meet ;)
.. And the tightest :p

Laura xx

Thank you everyone for replying. It is interesting to hear different views. I know everyone is different and I understand that. It is probably my boarding school background and the last twenty years of my working life in Senior Management ...not sure how i'd get away addressing Board Members, Shareholders and CEO's with "Hi Hun or Alright mate" ....I am grinning just thinking about it though. I would be distraught if my staff called me mate or hun....or any clients for that matter..lol

My mum paid a hell of a lot of money for me to go to private school when i was younger but i dont say thats the reason i say tge words i do :-s

Well speaking personally, I would say a northern thing. Depending on the word, words like babe, chick, hunny are less classy but nearly everyone (especially older people) use words like flower, sweetheart, love.

I wouldn't use these words in front of someone I didn't know (like a client) because I personally don't feel comfortable talking like this to a stranger. However as long as people aren't offending clients I don't think a few colloquialisms deserve the slagging off that some people are giving them. I think it depends entirely on the situation as to whether some phrases are appropriate or not.

My mum paid a hell of a lot of money for me to go to private school when i was younger but i dont say thats the reason i say tge words i do :-s

I agree ....but having 20 years in a profession with very important, intelligent people and high earners.."Hi Hun" just wouldn't cut it.....I really have no problem with being called a snob etc...why do people take things so personally...and I can guarentee that " Are you saying now that I'm not intelligent" is going to come at me very quickly...IT'S NOT PERSONAL....we all have different views..that's great... I don't like the teminology and i've stated that..others do and they've stated..it doesn't mean there's a right or wrong.

Latest posts

Back