Becoming self employed - advice needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaEx

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just got the good news for me to hire a unit for my own little salon! Hooray! Only problem is that I have a very basic idea on what I need to do.

So I need some advice!

What insurance is the best?
What to do with tax?
Keeping a record of payments?
£20 charge for gelish nails?
How do you promote yourself?

Thanks!

Salon gold for insurance Hun I go with x

What insurance is the best? What services are you offering what do you need?
What to do with tax? contact hmrc
Keeping a record of payments? have a book with appointments and either use excel/ notebook. Name/date how much did they pay/service.
£20 charge for gelish nails? Depends on target market? How much are products ? How much is rent ? How much do you want to earn an hour/minute.
How do you promote yourself? Depends on target market. ? Look at lynn Baker stickie also.

I would start with a business plan. This will help you with all of the points you've raised, it will consider start up costs, your marketing strategy, your pricing (and competitor analysis), your budget and your 'vision' (ie. what do you want it to be longer term).

I'd also Google the following terms in your area as I'm sure you'll be eligible for some support to help you start up:

Business start up support
Business support and advice
New business support
Women in business
Support for women in business

Good luck!

Last edited:
As far as insurance is concerned BettyBaa1994 is correct in what cover are you after. Do you just want protection for the treatments you carry out through Public and Treatment Liability or do you need to cover your stock and equipment as well. We offer two products one which is an individual policy covering the liability but does have an extension to cover your stock and equipment at either £5,000 or £10,000. This policy may cover what you need.

The other product is a full blown salon product which covers your stock and equipment, loss of profits, money, glass, employers liability, public & treatment liability and legal expenses.

Obviously the salon products is more expensive as the individual product ranges from from £33.00 to £44.00 per year, with the stock and equipment starting at an additional £47.50 a year. The salon insurance starts from £320.00 for the year.

You can give us a call on 0344 892 1602 to discuss which product is better for you or you can look online at www.towergatehealthandbeauty.co.uk to see the individual prices, the online site does not show the £10,000 extension but it is fairly new so if you need that much you can get this on the number above.

I hope all goes well for you

Latest posts

Back