Been asked to work in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickey26

Mobile masseuse and nail technician
Reaction score
This is probably going to be a long post so I apologise now. Here goes
I have a full time job as a cleaner that pays my bills and then I do massage and nails on the side since I qualified in july I've only done a few friends as a free treat. Today I've been messaged by a local salon asking if I would consider working there as I had been recommended. The hours would be what would suit me. Thing is I've never worked in a salon and am quite a shy person, for some reason I find it easier going to people than what I think I would find in a salon (if that makes sense). I'm also wondering what sort of questions I should ask the owner before making any decisions. She says she's not really busy with clients but she does have to turn clients away sometimes as she is the only massage therapist. Any advice on nerves or questions to ask would be really appreciated!!
Thank you for the long winded message
Xxx

Ask whether or not you will be self employed or employed by her. If self employed rates and who supplies the products etc. Opening times and what days you will be doing etc good luck

Hi Vickey,

I use to work for myself after qualifying doing family and friends as a side job/hobby and worked full time in admin.

The way I see it is practice make perfect in all things and the best place to practice is in a salon.

You should feel more confident if you have had positive feedback from clients and the local salon has approached you. You must be good at what you do.

Think of it as using the salon to practice and develop your skills.

Remember the salon wants you because clients have recommended you.

Think about the days you'd like to work and hours. Our salon is usually busy on Thurs, Fri, Saturdays.
Are there any training opportunities.
Can you continue to do mobile work whilst working for the salon.

Good luck

Agree with @candy86.
You need to find out whether she intends to employ you or for you to be self employed. If so, whether a day rate or a split percentage. Ask her how many clients she expects to pass on to you weekly.

Once you have plenty of information from the salon owner, ask for time to think it over. Resist making any decision until you've had time to work out the pros and cons of the offer.

Will you be able to cut your hours and still work your cleaning job around the salon commitment?
If self employed, you don't want to be sat twiddling your fingers in an empty salon all day.

Will you keep your existing mobile clients?

Latest posts

Back